Question for Out of town fans

Hawk

I know most of you are displaced former residents. Some of you have been gone a short time, some for years. There may be even Bills fans here that have never lived in the Buff. Considering Tags comments yesterday, would it really matter to you if the Bills moved to LA or Toronto or wherever? And Why.

I know most of you are displaced former residents. Some of you have been gone a short time, some for years. There may be even Bills fans here that have never lived in the Buff. Considering Tags comments yesterday, would it really matter to you if the Bills moved to LA or Toronto or wherever? And Why.

229049[/snapback]

Yes. If the Bills moved from Buffalo, I wouldn't be a fan of whatever team that was. It would be taking away one of my major joys in life. I don't think I can really explain why, but every Sunday I am rooting for the city of Buffalo just as much as I am for the Bills.

229049[/snapback]

Of course it would. I wasn't born in LA or anywhere else except Buffalo, so I'll never be a fan of a team that's not based there.

If the Bills moved, I'd find other ways to occupy my Sunday afternoons.

Absolutely it would matter. Even though I can't make it back for games anymore, there's something about your hometown team and the associated memories that make a difference. Times spent at Rich/RWS - the sights, smells, the rabid love of the Bills by the fans - are all things that help you identify with the team. Them moving would really make a difference as to how ardently i would follow the team. For me I don't think it would be any different than a Bills fan living in Buffalo. Psychologically they become "someone else's - not ours anymore." I have to concede that i'd probably root for them for a few years because of their origin and familiarity with players, but it would fade over time.

I'd root for the LA Bills like I root for the LA Clippers - not at all. And I'd still watch the NFL as often as I watch the NBA - not at all.

It's !@#$ing ridiculous to hear rumors of Tagliabue wanting the Bills to leave Buffalo, for 3 main reasons:

1. The Bills still remain near the top of the NFL's attendance leaders, this despite fielding a pathetic team for most of this century and also despite having a population smaller than all other NFL franchises not named the Packers.

2. The Bills are transitioning into a regionalized team (Rochester, Syracuse, and yes even some of Canada) that will maintain good overall profit even as the city of Buffalo continues to collapse financially.

3. The pro sport of American football partly began in this area (along with Ohio and Western Pennsylvania), so there's the issue of preserving a bit of historical tradition here - hey, this argument worked for Cleveland, didn't it?

For the record, I'm not at all opposed to us playing 1 game a season in Toronto, but as long as it's the preseason. The more Canadian Bills fans, the more profitable the Buffalo team becomes. But I do agree with most everyone else here that playing an actual REGULAR season home game in Toronto is none of Paulie T's business.

I never lived in Western Ny or anywhere in New York for that matter, but as far as pro football went. I always identified myself as part of the Buffalo Bills fan base. They were the first team I ever saw play as a small tot, and ever since I've been a fan sporting the red white and blue, and now royal blue of the Blo Bills. If the Bills were to move I would no longer care about the nfl. I'd have no interest in it what so ever. Maybe it's because to me tradition would be broken. Taken one of the original franchises and moving them to canada or La would break that tradition and I just couldn't root for an La team, and well I don't think the nfl should ever have a canadian or mexican team. It's fine the way it is now.

If the Buffalo area was not supporting the bills and staying there was an obvious losing proposition, I might continue to be a fan of the Bills.

I can not see that happening. If the Bills were moved by an overly greedy owner, I would drop them flat.

What a lousy question, it makes me feel uncomfortable just talking about it. :P