Did Marrone Actively Undermine Doug Whaley?

Yoli

Yoli. Ill say it again in this post for all Marrones faults ( and they are many) Whaley has not done a good job personnel wise. I think the blame is distributed throughout the org. Brandon, Nix, Whaley picking Marrone as HC, then drafting EJ. Then the weak offseason moves that reek of "Moneyball". Then the stupid trade up.

I thought this was something you wanted to "discuss" in the other thread? Did I miss the discussion where, you know, you considered points for and against this viewpoint, or was "discussion" a euphemism for "state my viewpoint emphatically and reiterate it on many threads"?

First of all, I don't understand the seeming distrust of Whaley. Why did it take so long to promote him to GM and why do people seem surprised that he is heading the coaching search? Isn't that what GM's are supposed to do?

Second, with the exception of Seantrell Henderson and perhaps Boobie DIxon, very few of the "name" acquisitions on offense, presumably made with heavy input from Whaley, have fared well or gone without a period in Marrone's dog house:

EJ Manuel --Draft - perhaps not the best place to start, but is it at all surprising that he tweeted "happy new year!" shortly after Marrone announced he was leaving? Marrone seemed to damn Manuel with faint praise even when (in 2013) Manuel had a good game. DId Manuel's regression have something to do with the climate Marrone created around him?

Robert Woods -- draft - also in Marrone's dog house during training camp

Marquis Goodwin --draft - see NY Daily News article for Marrone's treatment of him

Mike WIlliams - trade - see speculation on this board

Watkins -- draft -- too good to be ignored but under-utilized and not effectively utilized by Marrone

Cyrus Kuondjio -- draft -- struggled but was he truly beyond redemption?

Bryce Brown - trafe - inactive for many games although with the exception of the KC fumble, he didn't look horrible

Thad Lewis -- trade -- regressed badly in second season with Marrone

I have to say, there may be something to this...It's the only way to explain these head scratchers, IMO.

That last game against NE, how does Sammy not get more targets or at the least scheme some calls to get him to 1k receiving! That would have been something to build upon going into the off-season for the rookie. I hate to speculate but having Sammy reach this goal may have taken the spotlight off the 9 win season and saint Doug.

Also, Goodwin from 35 catches (2013) -----> 1 catch (2014)...makes NO sense at all.

Trouble with the redzone offense and nothing for a proven redzone talent (M. Williams)...smh!

Marrone was up to something, I'm convinced !!!

I don't think Marrone's immature actions were directed only at Whaley. It was clear to me that once Orton was signed and ready that Marrone was going to ride him to spite Whaley, et al. He was not in control of that decision so he was going to pout and really never seriously discussed Manuel the rest of the year. There were also inexplicable playing time moves in other areas: Robert Woods not starting, Bryce Brown not active until absolutely necessary, Mike Williams inactive, Watkins being deprived his 1000. (However, play time is tracked and Overdorf is VERY aware of incentives in contracts. It is unfortunately VERY common for players to be marginalized in a meaningless game at the end of the year.)

He probably perceived his hand being slapped for commenting on injury status so he condescendingly delegated that required responsibility to Scott Berchtold. Remember he did not win the battle to replace the training staff early on in his tenure so he probably did not interface with that group very much.

When you connect the dots of Marrone's ACTIONS it exposes him for who he evidently is; an immature control freak that looks out for himself. He is being identified as a cancer and his lack of humility will ultimately put him on the outside looking in. He needed to be the bigger man in Buffalo and unfortunately for him he got pulled into a turf war with professional survivors and he lost.

The old guard survivors have had a good run but the reset button has been pushed and there is no one left to protect them. The Pegulas have changed the locks.

First of all, I don't understand the seeming distrust of Whaley. Why did it take so long to promote him to GM and why do people seem surprised that he is heading the coaching search? Isn't that what GM's are supposed to do?

Second, with the exception of Seantrell Henderson and perhaps Boobie DIxon, very few of the "name" acquisitions on offense, presumably made with heavy input from Whaley, have fared well or gone without a period in Marrone's dog house:

EJ Manuel --Draft - perhaps not the best place to start, but is it at all surprising that he tweeted "happy new year!" shortly after Marrone announced he was leaving? Marrone seemed to damn Manuel with faint praise even when (in 2013) Manuel had a good game. DId Manuel's regression have something to do with the climate Marrone created around him?

Robert Woods -- draft - also in Marrone's dog house during training camp

Marquis Goodwin --draft - see NY Daily News article for Marrone's treatment of him

Mike WIlliams - trade - see speculation on this board

Watkins -- draft -- too good to be ignored but under-utilized and not effectively utilized by Marrone

Cyrus Kuondjio -- draft -- struggled but was he truly beyond redemption?

Bryce Brown - trafe - inactive for many games although with the exception of the KC fumble, he didn't look horrible

Thad Lewis -- trade -- regressed badly in second season with Marrone

I think it's Tin Foil Hat Territory to think that Marrone would work against himself by actively undermining his GM. It would only be to his credit if the Bills won more games and went to the playoffs, after all!

There's a saying "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity." It may apply here.

I have to say, there may be something to this...It's the only way to explain these head scratchers, IMO.

That last game against NE, how does Sammy not get more targets or at the least scheme some calls to get him to 1k receiving! That would have been something to build upon going into the off-season for the rookie. I hate to speculate but having Sammy reach this goal may have taken the spotlight off the 9 win season and saint Doug.

Also, Goodwin from 35 catches (2013) -----> 1 catch (2014)...makes NO sense at all.

Trouble with the redzone offense and nothing for a proven redzone talent (M. Williams)...smh!

Yeah, up to his eyeballs in stupidity.

Yoli. Ill say it again in this post for all Marrones faults ( and they are many) Whaley has not done a good job personnel wise. I think the blame is distributed throughout the org. Brandon, Nix, Whaley picking Marrone as HC, then drafting EJ. Then the weak offseason moves that reek of "Moneyball". Then the stupid trade up.

Yes, you will, won't you.

Goodwin had 17 catches in 2013

And others will say it again that the next time you sound like you know what you're talking about, it'll be the first.

I have ZERO issues with Whaley. No single GM hits on every decision but Whaley hits more then not and has found us some studs