Tagliabue Buffalo or Arizona home game

millbank

I wonder if a Buffalo home game in Toronto isn't just another way of regionalizing support for the Bills, which would then just open the door in the future for a move from Buffalo to Toronto.

Perhaps their thinking is that Buffalo and Toronto are close enough that Bills fans would still be willing and able to support the team. At the same time, it would allow to team to exist in a city which would be more likely to sell out the luxury suites.

A bunch of crap, if you ask me.

229124[/snapback]

I wonder what the salaries would be like then.

The Canadian income taxes would require huge bonuses to offset them, and with the NFL's strict salary cap, I don't see that happening.

Players get squat pay for each preseason game, so taxes aren't an issue.

It's not till the season starts that the big checks start coming in.

I just don't think the NFL will ever go into Canada during the real season.

Baseabool, BBall, and Hockey don't have the kind of hard cap that would make this a huge issue for the NFL.

Besides Canukistan has socalized medicine. Can you imagine the howl from fans when their favorite QB goes down with a broken plenum and he has to wait six weeks for corrective surgery?!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, would feel a lot easier if there were some local ownership possibilities for Buffalo. As one no longer in Buffalo, maybe a resident on TSW knows, are there any? I remember hearing that Gosliano (sp?- the Sabres owner) might be interested, but would never discuss it publicly while Ralph is still kicking. Anyone out there who can confirm or deny the rumour? From what I understand (again I may be off), he is a billionare, wealthier than Ralph. I remember when he baught the Sabres, he was said to not necessarily be the most avid NHL fan, but was committed to keeping the economy/sports traditions alive in the WNY area.

229035[/snapback]

Buftex, don't forget the Jacobs. They have the deep pockets to buy the team too.

Skydome is NOT an NFL facility...only seats 50,000. Take into account the generally weak CDN dollar, and you wonder why Toronto is so important? (Not to metion Mexico...the peso is even worse!) Every other sport has problems with US/CDN dollar issues, not to mention players not wanting to play in Canada. Why is the NFL even entertaining the idea?

Besides Toronto would have to build a new stadium to even make it work. Start worrying when you hear that story!

PTR

Skydome is NOT an NFL facility...only seats 50,000.  Take into account the generally weak CDN dollar, and you wonder why Toronto is so important?  (Not to metion Mexico...the peso is even worse!)  Every other sport has problems with US/CDN dollar issues, not to mention players not wanting to play in Canada.  Why is the NFL even entertaining the idea?

Besides Toronto would have to build a new stadium to even make it work.  Start worrying when you hear that story!

PTR

229226[/snapback]

I agree, scary robot. They have their own league anyway. What gives the NFL the right to destroy it?

And Mexico...????? I am sure every free agent will be wanting to join a franchise there...

And think about the effect on the locals that depend on those 8 home games. Why, our own Buddy The Wonder Dog might have to switch from canned food to dry, since Hammer won't be make big bucks with that loss of one game??????????

Big Bucks???? Lets see My Insurance<NEVER had A Claim in 23 years> went up last year $200 (it's over $1,000.00) The <8>restrooms are $30 each per game. My property taxes went up 9.5% last year

Let's not forget garbage, cleaning and dumping and electric.

My parking price includes 8.25% tax.

Did I mention the BIG tax, my WIFE!!!

I wished somebody would donate their time (Heck I'm only asking for 10 days a year free labor) to my company so I could PAD my bottom line.

I am not crying. Every money making venture?? has it's +'s and -'s. :P:blink:

The writing is on the 'Wall". When Erie County and NY State paid for the rehab work at the Ralph the NFL paid Zero. They make no committment to the WNY community. The NFL has helped ($$$) with other stadium remodeling work.

Buddy only eats dry food.

I agree, scary robot. They have their own league anyway. What gives the NFL the right to destroy it?

And Mexico...????? I am sure every free agent will be wanting to join a franchise there...

229245[/snapback]

Not wishing to stir anything up, but Paul Godfrey President of Blue Jays has been on mission to get a NFL franchise in Toronto, just as he did baseball. Getting the money is hardly a issue in Toronto nor is building a new stadium. The Skydome at present is being upgraded and is having the astro turf replaced by " Field Turf " the same as at the Ralph. This will make field friendly for future NFL game and a short term home for team.

As far as Canadian dollar it is not nearly as low as it was a few years ago, and Sports franchises in Ontario operate in extremely ownership friendly business world.

At present the NFL and the Canadian Football do have a working relationship , part of todays Toronot Star article included comments by head of Canadian Football league that there would be no NFL games in Canada this coming season, as he would have been apprised of such if they were going to happen.

Still with the money and resources in this city dont slight them when they say they want a team they will end up getting one.

At present it is not do they have the resources to get team, they do, the bigger question is why would it be in the NFL's interest they have one.

Not only would the Toronto home team players, coaches and staff be subject to Canaduh's higher taxes, but the visiting teams personnel would be as well - because they earned that pay in the fair country north of our border.

Of course it's something the Cannadiuns want. The question is, how much coin is greasing Tag's pockets to make it worth his while to put a team there?

Yeah, let's move the Bills there. It will hardly matter.

Let's expand Skydumb to 55,000 seats and charge $350 Can for endzone seats.

Boy, the fannies will be packing the stands. No doubt about it. :P