Can we finally upgrade the LINE!

Gardinier

If we go into next year with Tucker as a starting guard I'm gonna scream. This is the number one PRIORITY!!! Every year we say this. Please. I know our sacks were down from 2003 but we do not have a smash mouth line. I like Villarial and M. Williams(predict Pro Bowl in 05) but the rest is unsettled. What free agent guards are available as well as tackles. Any prelim. thoughts on where D. Baas from Michigan is rated.

This off-season I suspect the Bills have upgrading the OL as one of if not the top job. If Bledsoe agrees to a paycut and with Moulds commiting to restructure, if both happen it will be quite possible to team this with our substantial cap room to not only make a run at one of the top LTs who may well be available (Jones, Pace or Tra Thomas) but still have cap room to get one of the many LG candidates who apparently will be gettable in FA or the draft.

I however, have been cautioning the folks I know who care about this issue to not be shocked if the Bills decide that the OL can be upgarded by JMac leading the way to a similar level of OL improvement in'05 that he achieved with the same personnel we had in '04. Yes, Virginia, the Bills may well decide that they can both upgrade the OL and do so with the personel we already have despite many fans screaming if Tucker is still the LG.

I think a key point we will be able to see if whether the Bills in fact agree to resign Jennings after the 3/2 FA period begins. If, as I suspect the market is not going to produce a deal in the top 10 OL cap hits for Jennings it may well be the best deal he can get to resign with the Bills.

Again, its impossible to tell for sure because the market will not be set until we find out whether Jones is franchised again and whether Pace and/or Thomas get tagged. However, at this point I thinl Seattle won't tag Jones because they need to deal with Alexander and Hasselback and Philly will look to tag Simon rather than Thomas so the Jennings will not be the first choice among the few teams that have cap room,

When one looks at the many teams that have committed long-term big bucks to LTs (8 of the top 10 OL cap hits are LTs), look at the fairly pedestrian players like Clifton and Pettitgout who are LTs with long-term big contracts at LT, and look at the the teams who have LT needs but no cap room because of other big contracts (AT has devoted cap room to player like Vick and Peerless and will be cutting players to simply make the cap and not offering big contracts) it will not be shocking if the best deal Jennings can get is as little as $3 million annually. Whikle this "poor" contract does not compare to the money the market has given to previous LTs, it certainly will be a bigger paycheck than Jennings has ever gotten so perhaps it works.

What seems more likely to me is that the Bills will (maybe already have) offer him around a $5 million cap hit. If he signs for this much, it actually begins to put a premium on the Bills maintaining continuity as well as constraining how much they can devote to the OL (MW's cap hit already goes up to a bit over $5 million next year. When you combine that with a $5 mil JJ hit, it hard for me to see the Bills wanting to oer being able to devoted more than 1/8 of their total cap to 3 players in the OL and I doubt we shop beyonfd existing salaries for an LG.

If JJ resigns the question becomes whether JMac feels he can get additional improvement out of Tucker and the building of chemistry with JJ, or alternately whether he feels the huge jump Smith took in moving from the Ravens PS to being a starter for the Bills can be replicated for Smih in his second year with the Bills.

Neither alternative is a definite, but actually either is a possibility.

My guess right now is that we tesign JJ for less than top 10 OL money and when we do we will rely on JMac to upgrade the OL by working with Tucker or Smith. I'll be more excited if we get some new blood but can easily see how this may not happen.

They will upgrade, but don't need to do much upgrading there. McNally has done a nice job with them. Bledsoe makes it tough on any line in the NFL. It is just the ways it is--the opposing D knows his lack of mobility and presence makes him quite vulnerable. Remember they said the exact same thing about the Pats OL with Bledsoe and then miraculously with a change of QB they were considered great when the number of sacks given up was reduced by about 75%. Same thing with the RJ being replaced by Flutie--sorry to bring that up.

Yep. Priority #2 should be extending Nate.

Once those 2 goals are accomplished, you can look at the OL.

228848[/snapback]

I think the Bledsoe issue is not the biggest one in terms of making this team a winner. Looking back at last season I see the issues as looking like this:

1. Installing the MM method of playing football and running the team- I think the failure to all be on the same page was the main reason behind the 0-4 start, but that he and the braintrust stuck to their systems and got everyone on the same page with winning results, They did a number of things right that enforced their will to win on the team (jettisoning Shaw because through no real fault of his own he was not a contributor on the field and it reminded all players they had contribute), solving the redzone issues by playing defenders in offensive positions, setting a positive tone and commitment to change leading to a road win in Seattle).

I think there is still a lot of work to be done here and I think MM and the braintrust did not do the job in the Pittsburgh game playing not to lose instead of going for the jugular and seemingly hoping Pittsburgh without RoboQB and being locked into homefield advantage throughout the playoffs would simply mail it in for the game.

MM obviously learned alot and learned it quickly as he made the team fit his image and I hope that they will work to never let a performance like the Pittsburgh debacle where the O, the D and the ST all screwed up will not happen again,

2. I think settling things on the OL is probably the biggest issue on the offense. The issue of what to do about JJ is the big uncertainty and I think it will go either way depending upon whether he gets at least one offer which is higher than the Bills can or should pay for him. From what I see now, I don't think that a crazy offer will be forthcoming because there is no reason to pay him a top 10 OL cap hit as most teams are either already committed at LT by the past huge LT contracts, by the general lack of big cap money and there probably be at least 3 more desirable LTs on the market.

I think the Bills may well offer JJ more than he can get anywhere else on the market and that in fact if they do sign him they will be unlikely to pay big bucks for another OL player (such as the LG people want) because JJ and MW between the two of them will command about 1/8 of the team's entire cap room for these two positions both on the OL. They will recognize that the play of the OL must be upgraded in 05 but resigning JJ will committ them to depending upon JMac rather than new talent to do this.

3. I'm torn between the next three items in importance, but because of the importance of the QB from a business perspective I think you have to rank the Bledsoe question at #3. However, rather than canning him, i think the best outcome for the Bills is the unlikely one that Bledsoe will take a paycut to second team level pay. If he does, I think this is all to the Bills advantage because of the dumb extension TD gave to Bledsoe, the cap hit of cutting him before June 1st (which must be done to escape the bonus payment to him in March) really will harm this team. Folks focus on the Bledsoe cap hit being lower if you cut him than if you keep him, but if you cut him we will have to sign a back-up to JP who may well have to start if JP proves not to be ready to win yet. The deadspace of Bledsoe and the cost of a credible back-up will be larger than the Bledsoe cap hit most likely. If he takes a lower salary and thus acknowledges that he may lose the starting job to Losman and plays the same teamer positive role he played for NE in 2001 when a better QB took his job we will be in not bad shape at QB at all.

4. Fourth on the list I put the PW uncertainty. Anderson did not play much this past season and can't be counted upon. Edwards showed nicely as a reserve, but i still don't think he is enough of a player to be the starter. Adams apparently at least in part came here because he looked forward to playing with his bud Pat and with Phat Pat gone the middle of our DL becomes a question. The only one on a D with all the other starters returning but run stopping is so central to our D and the game these days the loss of PW may well be a big one.

5. With his miss of a chip shot in the Pitts game, Lindell has made PK the one big ST question. As much love as there is for Nugent and as big of a question as this critical miss and the obvious lack of confidence in Lindell beyond the 40 is, i think that his cap hit of rougly $600K in deadspace if he is cut, his outstanding performance on kickoffs with the kick coverage game and a nice job on a critical onside kick make it hard for me to see the braintrust doing him in.

I'm not worried about the Clements issue as his contract is not done til next year. Doing it early is a good move for the DM, but first things first is deal with this year's team.

Remember they said the exact same thing about the Pats OL with Bledsoe and then miraculously with a change of QB they were considered great when the number of sacks given up was reduced by about 75%.

Uh, DING, thanks for playing! In 2001 Brady took the same number of sacks on average that Bledsoe did in his first 2 games in 2001. And once Willis was inserted into the starting lineup this year, the average number of sacks taken by Bledsoe went from 3.8 a game to 1.6, which translates to 26 sacks over a 16 game season, which is the number of sacks that Brady took this year with the Pats, his lowest since becoming their starter. Considering the Bills' O-line, WR's, and TE's aren't as good as the Pats', and neither was the Bills' running game, that's pretty significant, dontchathink? :D

Like I said, when the Bills can field an O-line that doesn't put Willis in the top-3 in rushes for losses, when they can find a reliable 3rd WR, and when they can get a decent TE and/or incorporate him into the gameplan, THEN we can start talking about how much Bledsoe held back this offense.

If we go into next year with Tucker as a starting guard I'm gonna scream.  This is the number one PRIORITY!!! Every year we say this. Please.  I know our sacks were down from 2003 but we do not have a smash mouth line.  I like Villarial and M. Williams(predict Pro Bowl in 05) but the rest is unsettled.  What free agent guards are available as well as tackles.  Any prelim. thoughts on where D. Baas from Michigan is rated.

228602[/snapback]

I doubt Baas is around at #54, but I would hope the Bills at the very least take an OG in the 2nd or 3rd Round. In general, good OG's slide and they can Start as Rookies...Personally, I would not mind seeing the Bills Draft an OT, and an OG by the 4th Round...But that's just me...Me and JP, and Willis, and... :D

There will be a number of Quality free agent guards available. I think we should sign one of them as a priority. We then have options at tackle ( move Mike to L-tackle & draft a right tackle, Sign Jennings at a good price or another free agent L- tackle who won't break the bank).

If we go into next year with Tucker as a starting guard I'm gonna scream.  This is the number one PRIORITY!!! Every year we say this. Please.  I know our sacks were down from 2003 but we do not have a smash mouth line.  I like Villarial and M. Williams(predict Pro Bowl in 05) but the rest is unsettled.  What free agent guards are available as well as tackles.  Any prelim. thoughts on where D. Baas from Michigan is rated.

228602[/snapback]

According to some here, our only problem is the QB.

LOL.

Like I said, when the Bills can field an O-line that doesn't put Willis in the top-3 in rushes for losses, when they can find a reliable 3rd WR, and when they can get a decent TE and/or incorporate him into the gameplan, THEN we can start talking about how much Bledsoe held back this offense.

228956[/snapback]

This is a curious point that I worried about also. McGahee is very good back, keeps his head up, unlike Henry, and got yards when they appeared not to be available, but VERY often had no holes at all.

McNally seemed to get more out of the O line as the year went on but the sack numbers falling seemed to have a lot to do with McGahee entering the line up.

This O line is improving but it needs 2 more better-than-average plaayers to be adequate.

This is a curious point that I worried about also.  McGahee is very good back, keeps his head up, unlike Henry, and got yards when they appeared not to be available, but VERY often had no holes at all. 

McNally seemed to get more out of the O line as the year went on but the sack numbers falling seemed to have a lot to do with McGahee entering the line up.

This O line is improving but it needs 2 more better-than-average plaayers to be adequate.

My sincerest hope is that Wilson, Donahoe, and Mularkey give McNally carte blanche with the O-line, allowing him to make any and all moves necessary to make it a top unit. As I've been saying and is well-documented, it all starts with the O-line. Get one to open up holes for Willis, and he can get 1,800 yards. And since this is a run-based offense, it all will open-up from there. Then the Bills can concentrate on TE, 3rd WR, and kicker.

Tom Donahoe better do something. No matter what QB you put behind that slouchy oline wont produce very much. JP will get crushed.

They need a line that can punish the opposing defenses. A line like the pittsburgh steelers that totally beats up on the defenses.

Tom Donahoe better do something. No matter what QB you put behind that slouchy oline wont produce very much. JP will get crushed.

They need a line that can punish the opposing defenses. A line like the pittsburgh steelers that totally beats up on the defenses.

229075[/snapback]

I'm much in favor of upgrading the talent level of our OL.

But a QB with some wheels will take a ton of pressure off any OL.

Uh, DING, thanks for playing!  In 2001 Brady took the same number of sacks on average that Bledsoe did in his first 2 games in 2001.  And once Willis was inserted into the starting lineup this year, the average number of sacks taken by Bledsoe went from 3.8 a game to 1.6, which translates to 26 sacks over a 16 game season, which is the number of sacks that Brady took this year with the Pats, his lowest since becoming their starter.  Considering the Bills' O-line, WR's, and TE's aren't as good as the Pats', and neither was the Bills' running game, that's pretty significant, dontchathink? :D

228956[/snapback]

We've been talking about how much Bledsoe is hurting the team for three seasons

now. He hurts more than he helps and absolutely disappears in big games.

He had a career year, 73 QB rating. That is his average.

Enough talk, he is done and has been for some time.

I agree.  Time to finally address the O-line properly.

229236[/snapback]

I really think we need to draft some talent, not free agents or converted

left tackles.

If TD can't get some talent in the second day of the draft, something is

wrong.

228956[/snapback]

You make some good points, and I agree that the line ought to have done a much better job run-blocking. As you say, upgrading the offensive line should be a major priority for this off-season. In addition, the Bills should upgrade the QB position by replacing Bledsoe with Warner.

228956[/snapback]

See...Here's the problem with those who want to make excuses for DB...You have to go back and make 5 years worth of excuses because that's how long he's been putting up VERY similar numbers. Add that to the fact the Guy just flat out choked in some of the bigger Games over that span, and no excuse is good enough anymore...

A word of advise to Bledsoe Backers, and even Bledsoe apologists...Just let it go...I did so about a Year ago now, and it made things SO much easier! Just come to the conclusion DB will never be good enough, and the weight of the World will fall off your back...Be careful though, because you have to let go 100%...If not, DB may have one good Game, or throw a single beautiful Pass and you will think maybe...just maybe...Don't do it! You'll only be let down in the long run....

Just let it go... :P

This off-season I suspect the Bills have upgrading the OL as one of if not the top job.  If Bledsoe agrees to a paycut and with Moulds commiting to restructure, if both happen it will be quite possible to team this with our substantial cap room to not only make a run at one of the top LTs who may well be available (Jones, Pace or Tra Thomas) but still have cap room to get one of the many LG candidates who apparently will be gettable in FA or the draft.

I however, have been cautioning the folks I know who care about this issue to not be shocked if the Bills decide that the OL can be upgarded by JMac leading the way to a similar level of OL improvement in'05 that he achieved with the same personnel we had in '04.  Yes, Virginia, the Bills may well decide that they can both upgrade the OL and do so with the personel we already have despite many fans screaming if Tucker is still the LG.

I think a key point we will be able to see if whether the Bills in fact agree to resign Jennings after the 3/2  FA period begins.  If, as I suspect the market is not going to produce a deal in the top 10 OL cap hits for Jennings it may well be the best deal he can get to resign with the Bills.

Again, its impossible to tell for sure because the market will not be set until we find out whether Jones is franchised again and whether Pace and/or Thomas get tagged.  However, at this point I thinl Seattle won't tag Jones because they need to deal with Alexander and Hasselback and Philly will look to tag Simon rather than Thomas so the Jennings will not be the first choice among the few teams that have cap room,

When one looks at the many teams that have committed long-term big bucks to LTs (8 of the top 10 OL cap hits are LTs), look at the fairly pedestrian players like Clifton and Pettitgout who are LTs with long-term big contracts at LT, and look at the the teams who have LT needs but no cap room because of other big contracts (AT has devoted cap room to player like Vick and Peerless and will be cutting players to simply make the cap and not offering big contracts) it will not be shocking if the best deal Jennings can get is as little as $3 million annually.  Whikle this "poor" contract does not compare to the money the market has given to previous LTs, it certainly will be a bigger paycheck than Jennings has ever gotten so perhaps it works.

What seems more likely to me is that the Bills will (maybe already have) offer him around a $5 million cap hit.  If he signs for this much, it actually begins to put a premium on the Bills maintaining continuity as well as constraining how much they can devote to the OL (MW's cap hit already goes up to a bit over $5 million next year. When you combine that with a $5 mil JJ hit, it hard for me to see the Bills wanting to oer being able to devoted more than 1/8 of their total cap to 3 players in the OL and I doubt we shop beyonfd existing salaries for an LG.

If JJ resigns the question becomes whether JMac feels he can get additional improvement out of Tucker and the building of chemistry with JJ, or alternately whether he feels the huge jump Smith took in moving from the Ravens PS to being a starter for the Bills can be replicated for Smih in his second year with the Bills.

Neither alternative is a definite, but actually either is a possibility.

My guess right now is that we tesign JJ for less than top 10 OL money and when we do we will rely on JMac to upgrade the OL by working with Tucker or Smith.  I'll be more excited if we get some new blood but can easily see how this may not happen.

228674[/snapback]

That would be best possible scenerio if Bledsoe and Moulds were willing to take pay cuts. I would go after Orlando Pace first. He's awesome. Jones is being highly taughted by the Chicago Bears, and they need a lot of help on the OL as well. If not those two, Jennings is good too.

See...Here's the problem with those who want to make excuses for DB...You have to go back and make 5 years worth of excuses because that's how long he's been putting up VERY similar numbers. Add that to the fact the Guy just flat out choked in some of the bigger Games over that span, and no excuse is good enough anymore...

A word of advise to Bledsoe Backers, and even Bledsoe apologists...Just let it go...I did so about a Year ago now, and it made things SO much easier! Just come to the conclusion DB will never be good enough, and the weight of the World will fall off your back...Be careful though, because you have to let go 100%...If not, DB may have one good Game, or throw a single beautiful Pass and you will think maybe...just maybe...Don't do it! You'll only be let down in the long run....

Just let it go... :P

To me it doesn't matter WHO is the QB. The problems with the O-line would still be the same. And as my point is that talking about how a mobile QB like JP will magically make the line run-block better, or make the WR's catch balls better, or TE's play better, is sheer fantasy. So be it Drew or JP, the Bills need a better O-line, TE, and 3rd WR, in that order. If Losman pans out, great. If not and without upgrades on the offense at the other positions, it's going to be a long season if Willis keeps running for negative yardage a lot and JP is forced to scramble.

See...Here's the problem with those who want to make excuses for DB...You have to go back and make 5 years worth of excuses because that's how long he's been putting up VERY similar numbers.

229431[/snapback]

I hope TD's efforts work out and Bledsoe agrees to take back-up money in exchange for M and the braintrust really givng and JP a fair competition on the field for the starters job.

If JP proves worthy on the field of being the starter, i would take Drew producing and acting exactly as he did in 2001 when he lost the starter's job to a better QB (Brady) in a hot second.

I care little about his statistical numbers in this case because in 2001 Bledsoe did a great job in my book by:

1. According to Brady and all reports I have heard he worked hard and well with Brady while recovering from his collapsed lung to help the young QB learn and run the offense. This is a totally different situation since in '01 Bledsoe was made a mentor by injury and now it would be by design. However, i hope he proves to be as much of a teamer for us as he was for the Pats.

2, He did answer the bell and play QB successfully in the majority of a must-win game in the AFC championship when Brady went down to injury. The complaints of many posters (some of whose football opinions such as Simon I have really grown to respect over the years) really strike me as little more than swill. Regardless of folks complaints about what his QB rating from this games stats would have been, regardless of the "almost" fictitious INTs they whine that he almost threw in that game, regardless of their style-point complaints about his play in that he game he threw the game winning TD and played QB in the majority of a must win game.

3. Unlike most NFL athletes who are overpaid spoiled brats in my opinion he simply shut his mouth when BB correctly name Brady the starter in the SB game and proved himself to be a team player by his actions. Quite frankly I don't think any player that played an essential role in an SB run 4 years ago needs to offer any apology whatsoever for his play over the last 5 years.

Add to that I think he deserved his Pro Bowl selection with his on-field play for the Bills in 2002 (if you disagree then please name the QB you think deserved ti=o go to Hawaii instead of Bledsoe) and the Comeback Player of the year accolades he earned that year.

Drew certainly sucked as a QB for the Bills in the 2003 season and if i were TD I would not have resigned him and extended his contract last year (and said so repetivitely on TSW) but as bad as Bledsoe played the only thing which is worse is the convenient memories of those who claim that his production in the last 5 years was a total disaster. He sucked completely in 2003 and merely "improved" to being inadequate in 2004 as the winning streak results does not eradicate at all the bummer of missing the playoffs. However, its the rare QB who plays an essential role in an SB winning season and he should be proud of the work he did which was pivotal to improving the Bills from 3-13 to 8-8 in 2002 (even if BB laid out a textbook on how to beat him and Kevin Killdrive stupidly refused to change how he played as Clements did this past year and by the end of the season almost everybody knew how to stop him.

Admitting the reality that Bledsoe does some things well is different than claiming he does everything well. He has some very exploitable weaknesses but also some strengths when used properly can provide some value to a team,

>>>>>hope TD's efforts work out and Bledsoe agrees to take back-up money in exchange for M and the braintrust really givng and JP a fair competition on the field for the starters job.

If JP proves worthy on the field of being the starter, i would take Drew producing and acting exactly as he did in 2001 when he lost the starter's job to a better QB (Brady) in a hot second.<<<<

FFS, I agree that the above would be a best case scenario for the Bills.

If they go with JP, there is always the chance that someone might accidently lean on him in the huddle, and thus place him in traction for another month or so.

Drew would be familiar with the system, and able to heal while JP heals his weary bones.

To me it doesn't matter WHO is the QB.  The problems with the O-line would still be the same.  And as my point is that talking about how a mobile QB like JP will magically make the line run-block better, or make the WR's catch balls better, or TE's play better, is sheer fantasy.  So be it Drew or JP, the Bills need a better O-line, TE, and 3rd WR, in that order.  If Losman pans out, great.  If not and without upgrades on the offense at the other positions, it's going to be a long season if Willis keeps running for negative yardage a lot and JP is forced to scramble.

229499[/snapback]

I agree the Bills need to Upgrade the Line, heck...if you're not getting better, you're getting worse...But what's up with the "Willis running for negative Yards stuff??" Willis seemed to do just fine behind an admittedly average O-Line that was peppered with injuries throughout the Year...Personally I don't think this Line is anywhere near as bad as it was in past Years, and a lot of that is due to the Coaching they are absorbing now...I think this Line will be even better in 2005 because they will slightly Upgrade the Talent overall, and the Players who return will be a Year better Coached-Up...

I'm not saying that JP will be the answer because truthfully I have absolutely no idea. But one thing I know for certain is the fact that the Bills can use the Upgrade at the QB Position more than any other. Simply put, throw a McNabb, Culpepper, Manning, Brady, or any other Top QB in the League on that Offense and you would see a significant Offensive improvement guaranteed...period...

Now I fully understand the Bills don't have a Top NFL QB, and they likely won't in 2005...But regardless of the obvious improvements necessary on Offense, why in the World would the Team return with Bledsoe when you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what he can and cannot do...If anyone thinks TD and TM do not understand the Bills will NEVER be the Patsies equal in Division with Bledsoe at QB, you're just kidding yourself...I'm sorry...

I'll never say the Bills do not need to improve on the O-Line, cause that's a given...But there is no doubt that the way this Team can improve most significantly is to upgrade the QB Position. There are no guarantees with JP, but it's well worth the gamble because if it works out, the move will easily have the greatest net gain... 0:)

I hope TD's efforts work out and Bledsoe agrees to take back-up money in exchange for M and the braintrust really givng and JP a fair competition on the field for the starters job.

If JP proves worthy on the field of being the starter, i would take Drew producing and acting exactly as he did in 2001 when he lost the starter's job to a better QB (Brady) in a hot second.

I care little about his statistical numbers in this case because in 2001 Bledsoe did a great job in my book by:

1. According to Brady and all reports I have heard he worked hard and well with Brady while recovering from his collapsed lung to help the young QB learn and run the offense.  This is a totally different situation since in '01 Bledsoe was made a mentor by injury and now it would be by design. However, i hope he proves to be as much of a teamer for us as he was for the Pats.

2, He did answer the bell and play QB successfully in the majority of a must-win game in the AFC championship when Brady went down to injury.  The complaints of many posters (some of whose football opinions such as Simon I have really grown to respect over the years) really strike me as little more than swill.  Regardless of folks complaints about what his QB rating from this games stats would have been, regardless of the "almost" fictitious INTs they whine that he almost threw in that game, regardless of their style-point complaints about his play in that he game he threw the game winning TD and played QB in the majority of a must win game.

3. Unlike most NFL athletes who are overpaid spoiled brats in my opinion he simply shut his mouth when BB correctly name Brady the starter in the SB game and proved himself to be a team player by his actions.  Quite frankly I don't think any player that played an essential role in an SB run 4 years ago needs to offer any apology whatsoever for his play over the last 5 years.

Add to that I think he deserved his Pro Bowl selection with his on-field play for the Bills in 2002 (if you disagree then please name the QB you think deserved ti=o go to Hawaii instead of Bledsoe) and the Comeback Player of the year accolades he earned that year.

Drew certainly sucked as a QB for the Bills in the 2003 season and if i were TD I would not have resigned him and extended his contract last year (and said so repetivitely on TSW) but as bad as Bledsoe played the only thing which is worse is the convenient memories of those who claim that his production in the last 5 years was a total disaster.  He sucked completely in 2003 and merely "improved" to being inadequate in 2004 as the winning streak results does not eradicate at all the bummer of missing the playoffs.  However, its the rare QB who plays an essential role in an SB winning season and he should be proud of the work he did which was pivotal to improving the Bills from 3-13 to 8-8 in 2002 (even if BB laid out a textbook on how to beat him and Kevin Killdrive stupidly refused to change how he played as Clements did this past year and by the end of the season almost everybody knew how to stop him.

Admitting the reality that Bledsoe does some things well is different than claiming he does everything well.  He has some very exploitable weaknesses but also some strengths when used properly can provide some value to a team,

229560[/snapback]

Acceptance of mediocrity at the QB Position will land the Bills exactly where the have been since DB arrived....Not good enough...period, end of story... 0:)