O.J. ranked 5th best all-time by Dr. Z

bbb

With Emmitt's retiring, they pulled out an article from Dr. Z in '02 when Emmitt broke the record. It's the top 12 all-time and O.J. is fifth. The three most amazing runners I saw were Barry (can't even describe), Earl Campbell (could not bring him down) and O.J. (some of Barry's moves with bigger size and incredible speed). That said - I might want Emmitt if I needed to win a big game and after watching Brian's Song a few weeks ago, and seeing Sayers highlights, it's just too bad his career was cut short.

Here's the article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...list/index.html

With Emmitt's retiring, they pulled out an article from Dr. Z in '02 when Emmitt broke the record.  It's the top 12 all-time and O.J. is fifth.  The three most amazing runners I saw were Barry (can't even describe), Earl Campbell (could not bring him down) and O.J. (some of Barry's moves with bigger size and incredible speed).  That said - I might want Emmitt if I needed to win a big game and after watching Brian's Song a few weeks ago, and seeing Sayers highlights, it's just too bad his career was cut short.

Here's the article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...list/index.html

228427[/snapback]

Can't argue with most of the top 12 but where's Thurman???? Where's eight consecutive 1,000 yard seasons? Where's four seasons straight leading the nfl in combined yards from scrimmage? Where's one of the best pass catching receivers AND one of the best at picking up blitzers on this list? Thurman was Marshall Faulk before Marshall joined the greatest show on turf.

The Thurmanator does not get the props he deserves. He was the real mvp of SB25. Had the Bills pulled that one out there is no doubt that his name would be on lists like this. Instead, most football fans outside of Buffalo remember him more for the missing helmet episode in SB26. :lol:

Can't argue with most of the top 12 but where's Thurman???? Where's eight consecutive 1,000 yard seasons? Where's four seasons straight leading the nfl in combined yards from scrimmage? Where's one of the best pass catching receivers AND one of the best at picking up blitzers on this list? Thurman was Marshall Faulk before Marshall joined the greatest show on turf.

The Thurmanator does not get the props he deserves. He was the real mvp of SB25. Had the Bills pulled that one out there is no doubt that his name would be on lists like this. Instead, most football fans outside of Buffalo remember him more for the missing helmet episode in SB26.  :lol:

228465[/snapback]

I love Thurman, but...

Thurman was bad at picking up the blitz, but got better at it over the years. He was never one of the "best" at it. You want to see a guy pick up a blitz- watch McGahee. He relishes flattening blitzers, especially cornerbacks.

I love Thurman, but...

Thurman was bad at picking up the blitz, but got better at it over the years. He was never one of the "best" at it. You want to see a guy pick up a blitz- watch McGahee. He relishes flattening blitzers, especially cornerbacks.

228652[/snapback]

LOL

The Thurmanator does not get the props he deserves. He was the real mvp of SB25. Had the Bills pulled that one out there is no doubt that his name would be on lists like this. Instead, most football fans outside of Buffalo remember him more for the missing helmet episode in SB26.  :D

228465[/snapback]

The Greatest Show on Turf produced significantly more points than the Bills did even when the K-Gun was at its peak. Some of it might be Marshall being better than Thurman; and Thurman didn't look very good at all in those Cowboys Super Bowls. Some of it might be the Rams having better receivers than the Bills had. But some of it is because Kurt Warner at his peak was better than Jim Kelly at his peak. In fact, it seems clear that Warner will make a comeback somewhere; much like Rich Gannon. Warner took the first step in NYC; now it's time for him to play for a REAL NYS team.

I love Thurman, but...

228652[/snapback]

Thurman was better than you're giving him credit for.

The best was Walter Payton. He PUNISHED blitzers.

If Gale Sayers hadn't been hurt so young, in 1968, he'd be #2 or #3. Jim Brown is still the greatest player ever, period. Sayers was surrounded by 10 stumps and still was the most exciting RB I ever saw. Only O.J. and Barry Sanders came close to his style. Simpson was more of a slasher with great speed . Sanders had the great moves just like Sayers but never came close to his speed.

Sayers had it all.

11.) Earl Campbell

He is by far my favorite runner to watch highlights of. Nothing like watching Earl punishing some DB with half a jersey hanging off him.

228686[/snapback]

It is probably where Earl belongs. But yeah I loved watching Earl. What a beast.

If Gale Sayers hadn't been hurt so young, in 1968, he'd be #2 or #3. Jim Brown is still the greatest player ever, period. Sayers was surrounded by 10 stumps and still was the most exciting RB I ever saw. Only O.J. and Barry Sanders came close to his style. Simpson was more of a slasher with great speed . Sanders had the great moves just like Sayers but never came close to his speed.

Sayers had it all.

228854[/snapback]

Good post.

Emmitt rated above Barry?

:D:lol: :lol:

oh, he was serious

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

228685[/snapback]

Emmitt actually clearly helped his teams win games. I am not sure if Barry Sanders had a very positive impact on his team. He could run for 20 yards one down and then lose 7 the next one. Not always the best production for sustained drives.

Emmitt actually clearly helped his teams win games. I am not sure if Barry Sanders had a very positive impact on his team. He could run for 20 yards one down and then lose 7 the next one. Not always the best production for sustained drives.

228914[/snapback]

Yeah but Emmitt played on a team with other offensive weapons. Barry never did.

Ok I've read enough. Sayers should be in the top 5. Look at his kickoff returns. His numbers are stellar without a question should be there. I have a problem with Barry Sanders not being at least number 2 on this list. All I have to say is place Barry back in the 50's, 60's, 70's' or even the 80's and the all time record would've been untouchable. Just an overall different back than the rest on the list. No one could touch this guy. Here's another one to ponder, put Barry behind the Dallas line of the 90's.... Untouchable.

If Sayers makes the list based on potential... where should Bo Jackson be?

228900[/snapback]

Bo was a BEAST! Big back with blazing speed. He is one of the top three injury tragedies ever. I felt cheated that I could not see what he would have accomplished.

I would not put him in the top ten because it would be speculation at its best. but still he likely would have been in the top ten.