O.J. ranked 5th best all-time by Dr. Z

bbb

I still believe OJ is #2. Smith shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Same for Payton. They were contemporaries and Walter didn't compare. Much of his accolades come from being a far superior human being. Sanders? The man led the league in minus yardage carries. Flashy and great for sure, but he did not have OJs amazing combination. Compared to OJ, Smith and Payton were plow horses and Sanders a scat back. The guy who really should be considered his challenger, after Brown, was Campbell. Wow.

I have never in my lifetime seen a more amazing RB then OJ. He had size, he had world class speed, and the man had the moves to leave defenders on their fannies grasping air. I never saw Brown play (highlights only) but bow to the stats and records of his accomplishments. As a Bills fan with some homerism tendencies, however, I have never seen a better player, period. Not just RBs.

I have a problem with Barry Sanders not being at least number 2 on this list. All I have to say is place Barry back in the 50's, 60's, 70's' or even the 80's and the all time record would've been untouchable.

228963[/snapback]

Probably not, considering they played 12 games a season through much of that time and the forward pass was nowhere near the threat it has become.

I still believe OJ is #2.  Smith shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.  Same for Payton.  They were contemporaries and Walter didn't compare.  Much of his accolades come from being a far superior human being.  Sanders?  The man led the league in minus yardage carries.   Flashy and great for sure, but he did not have OJs amazing combination.  Compared to OJ, Smith and Payton were plow horses and Sanders a scat back.  The guy who really should be considered his challenger, after Brown, was Campbell.  Wow.

I have never in my lifetime seen a more amazing RB then OJ.  He had size, he had world class speed, and the man had the moves to leave defenders on their fannies grasping air.  I never saw Brown play (highlights only) but bow to the stats and records of his accomplishments.  As a Bills fan with some homerism tendencies, however, I have never seen a better player, period.  Not just RBs.

229281[/snapback]

Walter didn't compare? I'd love to have seen him play with Joe Ferguson and behind the Electric Company instead of with Gary Huff/Bob Avellini/Mike Phipps/Vince Evans and OLine he played the first 7 years of his career with.

How bad were the Bears? The game Payton rushed for 275 yards, the Bears won 10-7.

Walter didn't compare?

229294[/snapback]

Well, perhaps a bit overstated. Don't forget, however, it was OJ that helped create the "respect" for OLmen. Without OJ, the Bills were nothing to right home about either. Shoot, 2 of his first 3-4 years in the league he had a rookie QB -Shaw and Fergy. Joe was nothing but a cartaker until later in the 70s.

So yes, I exagerate a touch or 3, but Im only trying to make the point that, if we remove (current) popularity contests from the equation, OJ was the best RB of my lifetime.

Well, perhaps a bit overstated.  Don't forget, however, it was OJ that helped create the "respect" for OLmen.  Without OJ, the Bills were nothing to right home about either.  Shoot, 2 of his first 3-4 years in the league he had a rookie QB -Shaw and Fergy.  Joe was nothing but a cartaker until later in the 70s.

So yes, I exagerate a touch or 3, but Im only trying to make the point that, if we remove (current) popularity contests from the equation, OJ was the best RB of my lifetime.

229307[/snapback]

Given equal surrounding talent, I'd take Payton and beat you every time. Walter did all the little things it took to win. Don't get me wrong, I loved OJ the player and was always stupified by his athletic ability but he never showed the willingness to get his nose dirty that Payton did.