Why was James Hardy cut?

The 10 (!) second round WR picks of the 2008 NFL draft, in order:

Donnie Avery

Devin Thomas (who the Bills apparently really liked)

Jordy Nelson

James Hardy

Eddie Royal

Jerome Simpson

DeSean Jackson

Malcolm Kelly

Limas Sweed

Dexter Jackson

Lots of failure in that bunch, especially the tall/high leaper guys that were hyped that year (Thomas, Hardy, Sweed, Kelly). The quick little guys did OK (Jackson, Royal). Nelson wasn't on my radar at all that year. There were 2 RBs taken in that round - Matt Forte and Ray Rice.

Edited by dave mcbride

we threw about 10 more jump balls to him throughout that season. he would fight them all off as best he could until they hit the ground, he caught one more in garbage time and then we all realized he just plain couldnt catch. the Jville catch was also laboured if you watch the replay, he almost dropped that one too.

Down the sideline, not in the endzone. You're right though, he was terrible, even on the jump ball throws. His real problem though, was running patterns and getting off the line. He just didn't get open much, and had the dropsies when he did.

I went to Indiana University which is where James Hardy played college ball. The guy was a total animal for IU despite playing against teams that were better than his team (Indiana is a weak team in the big ten). He certainly had the physical tools to succeed but I just think he had too much mental stuff going on to focus on and develop his game.

Terry Hoepner, who was the head coach at IU when Hardy was there, told James, "There are only a few people in the world that can make some of the catches you can make." Hardy was hesitant to believe him because he thought he was just blowing steam up his butt. Hardy said something like, "Don't play with me, I've been lied to too much. I don't want you telling me lies about my ability and then I believe them and am let down." Hoeppner replied, " I'm not lying. I'm serious."

Hardy originally went to Indiana to play basketball and was pretty good. He was a 4-star basketball recruit coming out of high school. The football team started recruiting him though once he got on campus and he felt his odds of going pro were better in football so he went the football route.

BP4E, you are definitely setting the record for "most random threads posted in first 50 posts".

At least they're passingly relevant, at worst. Much better than that 'rfk' idiot's.

I look forward to tomorrow's threads "Author that penned odes to Kamil Loud", or "Tolliver, Hobert, or Armstrong - YOUR favorite Billy Joe"

I know I penned one (a limerick, actually). I believe Petrino did, too.

I'm waiting for the "Whatever happened to Tony Cline" thread.