New QB, New Offensive Coordinator?

KDIGGZ

Another season gone and heading into another off-season without a franchise QB. Draft this guy, trade for that guy, give this other guy a shot. It's like a broken record with this team. It's been hard to watch since Jimbo left and there is no end in sight. I do believe that Kyle Orton did us a favor by announcing his retirement though:

A) He didn't want to be there. You could tell by his body language...he just didn't care one way or another. The Bills threw money at him until he agreed to give it a shot, but his heart wasn't in it.

B) He wasn't the answer at QB anyhow. Orton is a career backup. He's not starting QB material and not someone who is going to take your team deep in the playoffs or to the Super Bowl (isn't that the ultimate goal?).

C) Now we have all off-season to figure this out. The worst thing Orton could have done was drag his feet and say I don't know, maybe, I'm not sure. That would have really doomed this team. At least now we have time to plan for the future.

With that being said, we are heading into the unknown. The starting QB of this team is probably not on the roster (and if he is then just shoot me now). So unless we are planning on going into next season with EJ and one of the worst offenses in the league then I think it's time to revamp this entire offense. If we are going to have a new QB anyhow then what is the point of running the same offense? The new QB is going to have to learn a new system either way. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. There is no way Marrone and Hackett can pitch this to the new ownership and management team and say we are going to do the same exact thing as the past 2 years and things are going to change. With a lot of the same players (and arguably worse talent), we were a much better offense under Chan Gailey and were one of the best running and screen play teams in the whole league. Then we go with Hackett's offense (rookie NFL coordinator) and we are instantly one of the worst offenses. It couldn't be anymore obvious.

So how does Marrone keep his job if we plans to go into 2015 with Hackett as coordinator? If I'm Terry Pegula I am not ok with the same old same old. I just spent over $1 BILLION on a team and I want to win. it looks like Marrone is going to be our coach next season so I guess I just don't understand why. What are his plans for this team? Are we really going to be a better team running the same crap offense with an unknown QB under center trying to learn the plays?

Now is the best time to cut ties with Hackett and get someone in here with some experience. As head coaches get fired, the pot of available offensive coordinators grows. There is no reason to continue with Hackett other than he's "Marrone's guy." We need something new and exciting on the offensive side of the ball. Things can't get much worse. Time to shake things up and go into 2015 with a brand new offense!!!

Edited by kdiggz

Another season gone and heading into another off-season without a franchise QB. Draft this guy, trade for that guy, give this other guy a shot. It's like a broken record with this team. It's been hard to watch since Jimbo left and there is no end in sight. I do believe that Kyle Orton did us a favor by announcing his retirement though:

A) He didn't want to be there. You could tell by his body language...he just didn't care one way or another. The Bills threw money at him until he agreed to give it a shot, but his heart wasn't in it.

I stopped reading here. Please explain how this could be true when you have a guy like Eric Wood saying Orton prepared more thoroughly than anyone he has played with.

I have suggested Orton's actions on the field to avoid big hits could have signaled a "self-preservation" mentality but your comments are completely off the mark.

I stopped reading here. Please explain how this could be true when you have a guy like Eric Wood saying Orton prepared more thoroughly than anyone he has played with.

I have suggested Orton's actions on the field to avoid big hits could have signaled a "self-preservation" mentality but your comments are completely off the mark.

Orton is very much like Cutler in his personality in my opinion. Appears to be very laid back on and off the field. This makes it look as though he doesn't care. I don't buy it either. To make it to the NFL at all (especially QB) you must have a tremendous amount of drive and competitiveness that very few people possess and I'm sure Orton wanted to play and wanted to win, bad. Without it, you get something like Jamarcus Russell and it is evident very early and they are out of the league quick.

He just doesn't have that outward showing personality that demonstrates it to people that are not behind the scenes (locker room, film room, etc.). However, it was clear to me there were numerous times where he simply collapsed at any hint of a pass rush (or the 3rd and 1 run) so as not to risk any injury and I could see the retirement coming a mile away.

Edited by Mark80

The guy was just going through the motions. He knows what it takes to prepare and be a QB in this league I'll give him that. Hes a veteran and hes been around so why wouldnt he? But preparing in the film room and laying it all out there on the field are 2 different things. Orton folded like a cheap tent under any type of pressure. Pick 6? Oh well, walk back to the sideline. He didn't want to be there. It was pretty obvious all year. Nobody that was paying attention was surprised when he retired.

I swear, it's like some of you don't even read TBD - eball, when will you learn TBD is waaaaaay closer to what's actually going on in the organization than the players, coaches and front office?

Also, :beer:

No good QB ever becomes a free agent (Drew Brees was a once in a lifetime situation). Any QB you trade for is either going to be a high profile back up (Matt Flynn or Matt Schuab type) or a reclamation project (Damaged goods rarely pan out). QB's drafted in rounds 3-7 rarely turn up gems (Tom Brady is once in a lifetime and even a Russell Wilson/Tony Romo type is a once generation type find). QB's drafted in round 2 are pretty rare to be franchise guys (Usually you get a Colin Kaepernick or Andy Dalton type). And even round 1 or top 10 QB's are very hit or miss.

Its a frustrating process to try and find a good Tony Romo type QB let alone find a great top 6 or 7 franchise QB. If you look at the Bills options to try and find a QB its not going to be easy. The best thing to do is to have EJ compete with a competent vet and hope EJ turns it around.