What a New Outside Consultant Should Do

Casey D

Say it's Bill Polian. What should he focus on? To me, he primarily needs to breakdown and totally analyze the offense, to determine where the problems lie. Everyone here has their opinions, it's Hackett, it's Orton, it's the line, it's the young receivers, it's the old or unproductive backs. As a fan, it is impossible for me to know the right answers. For example, In the Oakland game, we ran for 13 yards and people lay that on the play calling and say we should have run more. But to me, the Oakland D-line was overwhelming the Bills O-line making running near impossible. Which is it? Or say the insufficient targeting of Sammy. Is that the play calling, play design, QB play or Sammy not getting open enough? I honestly don't know the answer. Some expert needs to break that all down, come up with solutions and have the team execute it as best possible, i.e., if QB play is the main problem, sell the ranch to make an improvement. If QB is a tertiary problem, and the biggest thing is say line play and the coordinator, fix that and don't sell the ranch for a QB. This team is close. With this defense, we don't need an A offense to compete, a B offense would be good enough. And we have some playmakers, we just need to address the biggest problems aggressively.

In regards to Sammy he was open a lot throughout the season but the ball wasn't thrown or thrown inaccurately. When the ball wasn't thrown if that's by design or on the QB I don't know.

I saw that too. That's exactly the kind of thing you need to know for sure in developing an improvement plan.

Say it's Bill Polian. What should he focus on? To me, he primarily needs to breakdown and totally analyze the offense, to determine where the problems lie. Everyone here has their opinions, it's Hackett, it's Orton, it's the line, it's the young receivers, it's the old or unproductive backs. As a fan, it is impossible for me to know the right answers. For example, In the Oakland game, we ran for 13 yards and people lay that on the play calling and say we should have run more. But to me, the Oakland D-line was overwhelming the Bills O-line making running near impossible. Which is it? Or say the insufficient targeting of Sammy. Is that the play calling, play design, QB play or Sammy not getting open enough? I honestly don't know the answer. Some expert needs to break that all down, come up with solutions and have the team execute it as best possible, i.e., if QB play is the main problem, sell the ranch to make an improvement. If QB is a tertiary problem, and the biggest thing is say line play and the coordinator, fix that and don't sell the ranch for a QB. This team is close. With this defense, we don't need an A offense to compete, a B offense would be good enough. And we have some playmakers, we just need to address the biggest problems aggressively.

Virtually everything they do this off season should revolve around improving this offense. After so many years of futility, it should be natural to feel full of hope for the future after improving to 9-7...to feel that the team is improving and headed in the right direction. However, the truth is, the "team" is not getting better - the defense is getting better. In the last two years, the defense has improved leaps and bounds, to the point of becoming, arguably, one of the best units in the NFL. On the other hand, the offense has drastically regressed - across the board. IMO, unless some unlikely scenario unfolds, the talent level at QB is not going to improve much going into next season. That leaves the offensive line and coaching as the two issues to sort through. Is the talent that bad or has the coaching failed to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses? Is it a combination of both? Is there an offensive identity this team wants to have and are the personnel suited for that particular style? How/why did the play of virtually every offensive player regress?

I am with you, I am not certain where the blame should be placed - or what the answers are. What I do know is this: The offensive side of the ball is the reason we are not going to be watching our team in the playoffs this year - and, over the last two years, people in place on that side of the ball have not found a way to improve things.

Perhaps someone else needs to do it...

A consultant is going to review the organizational chart and make recommendations on improving management, specifically the football people. After a review of the organization, they'll make recommendations on who stays and who should go to the owner. At this point, ownership can take that advice or decline, but this is a high level review of Bills management.

A consultant is going to review the organizational chart and make recommendations on improving management, specifically the football people. After a review of the organization, they'll make recommendations on who stays and who should go to the owner. At this point, ownership can take that advice or decline, but this is a high level review of Bills management.

It could be, but we don't know that. If they want to do that that is great, but my primary concerns lie where indicated.

It could be, but we don't know that. If they want to do that that is great, but my primary concerns lie where indicated.

No one's arguing there aren't issues on the offensive side of the ball. That's a symptom of a greater issue, namely, who the leadership is and how they acquire talent. Applying a band aid to a deep wound doesn't mean you are assured you won't get cut again.

No one's arguing there aren't issues on the offensive side of the ball. That's a symptom of a greater issue, namely, who the leadership is and how they acquire talent. Applying a band aid to a deep wound doesn't mean you are assured you won't get cut again.

Your concerns seem dated to me. We have new owners, everything will be different. Our current football side is not even 2 years in place, the preceeding 12 years is meaningless. The deep cut-- old ownership-- is gone. Unless you think all the Bills problems since forever are on RB, then I don't get the point.