It's all about the QB

machinist

Let me first state that I have, like many, been frustrated with our offense and more specifically the O line and what seemed to be unimaginative play calling. I was on the bandwagon of kicking some folks to the curb at the end of the season but for some reason today, regardless of winning a "tune up" game for the Pat's, have bought in some on the "continuity" plan.

Reviewing a lot of the All 22 film shows that on numerous and regular occasions the QB missed on seeing a wide open receiver and made a poor choice. The running game was in constant chaos behind an O line who's interior was swiss cheese. My point is plays and points were left on the field every game due to poor execution not game planning. At times were there questinable coaching decisions.....yes of course there were but I have seen many coaches of many NFL teams leave fans scratching there heads ( example: McCarthy's refusal to stick to riding Lacey against us when he was ripping us a new one to continue to pass like they were down 3scores)

The bottomline is Bellicheck was average before Brady, Pete Carrol struck gold with Wilson, Shanny was nothing after Elway, etc. etc. etc. The teams that win and are routinely in the playoffs have QB's in place that can make the throws consistently, find the open receivers, and are legit NFL QB's. Are all the teams in the playoffs coached by geniuses or piloted by top 5 QB's? No, but they also arent trying to win with below .500 QB's, young receivers, and a porous O line.

The Bills defense is young, talented, and aggressive so I say we do everything to keep the defense together with Shwartz and Pepper Johnson a must stay as coaches and in the off season throw everything we have into upgrading our O line through the draft / free agency and what the hell take a shot at another QB in the 3rd or 4th round........not like winners havent ever been found in the later rounds !

Any suggestions?

Wilson was a 1st round grade who slipped because of major concerns related to his height. Brady is one of the all-time outliers. Elway was a bona fide minted HOFer out of college drafted first overall. (And Shanny and Elway became champions because of a great run game, but that's beside the point.) I'm not sure what you're asking for, here, other than pulling a few great QBs out of a hat and saying, "see, Whaley, get one of these guys!"

"Roll the dice, draft one, guys!" seems like a poor plan, bad asset management in dealing with limited resources, and ignorant of reality. I still want them to get one, of course, and to roll the dice. But to act like that guy is going to come out of the the third round, step in, and lead the 2015 Bills to the promised land, is wishful thinking at best. It'd be like buying lottery tickets for your retirement plan.

HEY who exactly told you about my retirement plan ????

Not saying a 3rd round pick is the definite answer just saying serviceable QB's have been found in rounds other than the 1st and many 1st round QB's have busted. It is a crapshoot......Washington sold the farm for RG and look how that worked out. My point was simply that a good QB can make a coach look a lot better and that from the All 22 review of games it appeared that the plays were there to be made but we lacked execution which led me to believe maybe the coaching staff was receiving too much of the negative publicity and got me to thinking maybe "blowing it up" may not be the way to go in 2015.

Any suggestions?

Wilson was a 1st round grade who slipped because of major concerns related to his height. Brady is one of the all-time outliers. Elway was a bona fide minted HOFer out of college drafted first overall. (And Shanny and Elway became champions because of a great run game, but that's beside the point.) I'm not sure what you're asking for, here, other than pulling a few great QBs out of a hat and saying, "see, Whaley, get one of these guys!"

"Roll the dice, draft one, guys!" seems like a poor plan, bad asset management in dealing with limited resources, and ignorant of reality. I still want them to get one, of course, and to roll the dice. But to act like that guy is going to come out of the the third round, step in, and lead the 2015 Bills to the promised land, is wishful thinking at best. It'd be like buying lottery tickets for your retirement plan.

The Seahawks have an excellent offensive line, which makes Wilson better and more effective. Brady has always had a great offensive line, especially when they were going to and winning Super Bowls. Same thing for Elway and the Broncos. They had a great running game and it didn't matter who the running back was. Go back to 2010 and look at the offensive linemen taken after CJ Spiller, like Anthony Davis, Mike Lupati, Bryan Bugala and Maurice Pouncey. What the heck were the Bills thinking? Fix the offensive line and even Orton or EJ will seem decent.

from the All 22 review of games it appeared that the plays were there to be made but we lacked execution which led me to believe maybe the coaching staff was receiving too much of the negative publicity

Am I the only one who thinks that if a team is not executing it is a reflection of a poorly coached team? Sure some of it's on the players, but a lot of it is on this coaching staff as well IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

Am I the only one who thinks that if a team is not executing it is a reflection of a poorly coached team? Sure some of its's on the players, but a lot of it is on this coaching staff as well IMHO.

You're not wrong. But there are factors here that supercede pure coaching issues. That OL we have cannot be coached

Am I the only one who thinks that if a team is not executing it is a reflection of a poorly coached team? Sure some of it's on the players, but a lot of it is on this coaching staff as well IMHO.

I hear ya but coach calls a play in, receiver runs route and is open, QB fires a pass 3 yards behind open reciever followed by a Bryce Brown fumbling the winning points away in an endzone.......thats not the coach......thats on the "professional" player

good post.

its pretty much the same teams again this year in the playoffs, and they all have good qb's. i would add 2 qb's a year (draft one, get a free agent/trade) until I found one that could do the job.

qb's make everybody look good, from the scouts to the Wr's, even the defense. Gotta get lucky to get one, we need some luck man.

How do you know that? When Urbick, Woods, Pears, and Glenn played in 2012 we had a decent offensive line. Certainly much better than we have now.

Looking how Pears and Henderson mesh is telling. They can't get on the same page. At all. Wood seems lost at times because he has a sieve to me it her side mof him on ass plays while Glenn is getting burnt by guys able to run right at him in our bunched up formation.

Looking how Pears and Henderson mesh is telling. They can't get on the same page. At all.

This is what I'm talking about. Why can't they get on the SamE page? Maybes because Pears is been moved to Guard? Whose idea was that? I'm just thinking a better OLine coach and perhaps changes to the scheme could get us better execution.

The Seahawks have an excellent offensive line, which makes Wilson better and more effective. Brady has always had a great offensive line, especially when they were going to and winning Super Bowls. Same thing for Elway and the Broncos. They had a great running game and it didn't matter who the running back was. Go back to 2010 and look at the offensive linemen taken after CJ Spiller, like Anthony Davis, Mike Lupati, Bryan Bugala and Maurice Pouncey. What the heck were the Bills thinking? Fix the offensive line and even Orton or EJ will seem decent.

The Seahawks line is not that great.

The bottomline is Bellicheck was average before Brady, Pete Carrol struck gold with Wilson, Shanny was nothing after Elway, etc. etc. etc. The teams that win and are routinely in the playoffs have QB's in place that can make the throws consistently, find the open receivers, and are legit NFL QB's. Are all the teams in the playoffs coached by geniuses or piloted by top 5 QB's? No, but they also arent trying to win with below .500 QB's, young receivers, and a porous O line.

This is load of crock the reasons those teams stayed as good as they have is because they didnt buy into this nonsense that you are selling and instead built solid TEAMS that had DEPTH ,and were good on both sides of teh ball and and special teams . They didnt say its all about one guy nowhere close to it they went out of their way to have teams that were not all about one guy

Kansas City

Miami

Cleveland

St. Louis

New York Jets

Minnesota

Houston

Arizona

Buffalo

9 teams that have had varying degrees of success the last few years, but all of which have strong (and/or young and talented) cores at key positions. All of which are just a good QB away from being serious Super Bowl competitors. My guess is that 1 or 2 of them will develop or find that QB and take the next step. 4 or 5 (roughly half) will find or develop a competent QB and will be exactly like Kansas City under Alex Smith. Miami and Minnesota look to be headed that way, but you can never tell -- Tampa and Josh Freeman would at the same point after the 2012 season; now that seems a decade ago. And who knows, Tannehill or Bridgewater could turn out to be a lot better than Alex Smith. Arizona looked like they had QB solved for the next couple years at least; now they may be in the worst shape of any of these 9 teams. As for the rest of these clubs? I have no idea where they're going. Folks here clamor for Sam Bradford; Rams fans pray for an upgrade to Sam Bradford. The Chiefs may move on from Alex Smith; the Bills would consider him an upgrade. There's cause for optimism for Bills fans, but right we'd be kidding ourselves if we're thinking we're clearly ahead of any of these teams in the competition cycle. This was a promising season, but without a QB, I can't say next year will be better.

+1. Fix the offensive line and watch EJ shine.

Let me first state that I have, like many, been frustrated with our offense and more specifically the O line and what seemed to be unimaginative play calling. I was on the bandwagon of kicking some folks to the curb at the end of the season but for some reason today, regardless of winning a "tune up" game for the Pat's, have bought in some on the "continuity" plan.

Reviewing a lot of the All 22 film shows that on numerous and regular occasions the QB missed on seeing a wide open receiver and made a poor choice. The running game was in constant chaos behind an O line who's interior was swiss cheese. My point is plays and points were left on the field every game due to poor execution not game planning. At times were there questinable coaching decisions.....yes of course there were but I have seen many coaches of many NFL teams leave fans scratching there heads ( example: McCarthy's refusal to stick to riding Lacey against us when he was ripping us a new one to continue to pass like they were down 3scores)

The Bills defense is young, talented, and aggressive so I say we do everything to keep the defense together with Shwartz and Pepper Johnson a must stay as coaches and in the off season throw everything we have into upgrading our O line through the draft / free agency and what the hell take a shot at another QB in the 3rd or 4th round........not like winners havent ever been found in the later rounds !

Orton looked good when he had time today, if we can upgrade the Oline we can win with Orton. Also the run game will improve which will improve Orton.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian