Marrone Must Be A Genius

Jkgobills

Doug Marrone genius? I don't know. He has done a good job building the team and will be retained. Taking a perennial 6-10 team to 9-7 after 2 yrs earns you that. I believe the team needs to and will be patient. Some small tweaks are likely needed to be playoff team. This ship is headed in the right direction due to Coach Marrone's leadership.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same "mess" that led to superior running games a few years ago? With players primarily remaining the same over the past 3-4 seasons?

There has been a regression in players who had been serviceable at worst, after more personnel additions. That is coaching. If it's not the former OL and OL coach Marrone's fault, Pat Morris should be feeling the heat, at least.

Same O-line players as 3-4 seasons ago? Say what?

Loved the play call today to Boobie (fake handoff/end around then screen/dump pass). BUT why can't they run those types of plays to Spiller??

I just tend to think its lack of a good "feel"...I mean you have Spiller a dynamic playmaker and your answer is to try and run him up the middle constantly? Playing conservatively. No offensive flair. No creativity.

Edited by VA Bills Fan

Wood, Urbik, Glenn, Pears? Am I missing something? And I said "over the past 3-4 seasons," which is not the same as what you said.

You're missing the guys Marrone brought in to make the O-line better: Henderson, Kujo, Chris Williams, Richardson.

It didn't work. Must be the O-line coach's fault.

Before people try to chase him out of town... Let's put a few things in perspective:

He coached the team to a 9-7 record this season despite:

1. The best we could find was a QB who was not on a roster, not in the Bills training camp, and learned the offense on the job to post a 7-5 record as a starter. The Bills would not have had Orton had Marrone not vehemently made his point to the GM that changes were needed in the QB depth chart.

2. The death of the only owner the Bills have ever had, and the transition to a new owner.

3. The loss of a home game, and moving that game to Detroit, due to a snow fall of historic levels.

4. The loss of both top RBs in the same game.

5. The top 3 WRs having very little NFL experience. The best of them, Watkins, playing through several injuries going back to training camp.

6. The RT being a seventh round rookie pick.

7. The OG postions were occupied by players that were not projected to be the starters.

8. The loss of our best rookie from the previous season (Kiko), before this season's games even began.

9. The loss of last year's Def Coordinator to the browns. Marrone may have upgraded the position with Schwartz replacing Pettine.

I don't care what he sounds like in a press conference, I don't care what facial expressions he does or does not make on the side line. I care about organizational competence. The Bills have lacked it for years. Marrone seems to be building it.

I couldn't agree more. I've been saying the same thing. He deserves another year.

Loved the play call today to Boobie (fake handoff/end around then screen/dump pass). BUT why can't they run those types of plays to Spiller??

I have no idea what the plan for CJ was, but defenses were well versed on not letting him get the edge and he was not effective at running between the tackles.

I just tend to think its lack of a good "feel"...I mean you have Spiller a dynamic playmaker and your answer is to try and run him up the middle constantly? Playing conservatively. No offensive flair. No creativity. Gameplans that are too easy for DC's to adjust to and not having any adjustments of your own to counter.

I mean look at what happens. Either we score early and get a lead, then go through long droughts where we let the other team back into it, or we get behind and don't start moving the ball and scoring until we get in the hurry up and start throwing the ball all over the place and its desperation mode.

Being out of state, I only see games on TV and not in person. The all 22 breakdowns during the season showed a lot of missed opportunities on offense. By QBs, WRs, and RBs.

However, to your point the play calling often seemed to lack feel.

I was responding to the OP. Go back and read the posts. I can't help you on this one I think...

He was saying it was Marrone's fault that the free agents brought in, players drafted to improve the o line didn't work out.

My response is that they certainly missed on the players they brought in. How much is Whaley and how much is Marrone's fault is impossible for me to know. However, they knew it was an issue and made roster additions. My guess is that they will do it again this off season. I don't blame Marrone for this.

He was saying it was Marrone's fault that the free agents brought in, players drafted to improve the o line didn't work out.

My response is that they certainly missed on the players they brought in. How much is Whaley and how much is Marrone's fault is impossible for me to know. However, they knew it was an issue and made roster additions. My guess is that they will do it again this off season. I don't blame Marrone for this.

I guess it's possible that all the players are misses, but I think it's just as possible that they could work out in a better situation, or with growth and experience. I think it's rare to expect a rookie to come in and dominate on the OL.

The truth is that Marrone just isn't a naturally likable guy. That's why many people want him gone despite the 9-7 record.

Noted likable guys like Bill Belicheck and Bill Parcells are standing by.

I could give a rat's ass if Marrone is likable. I can't say for sure that I want him gone, but I want to see him get better at his job. Anyone who thinks he doesn't himself have room to grow is kidding themselves.

Yes...they whiffed on EJ, they did nothing to upgrade behind him in the off season, and Marrone took Whaley to task for it and changed it.

They whiffed on trying to upgrade the OG spots. Who is at fault? Coach, scout, GM? My guess scout, pro personell, and GM are more to blame for missing on players than the coach. The coach has to cook with the ingredients provided. At least he knew enough to demand some new ingredients.

The cook has a say in the matter too. Not going to say that Marrone was the one calling for Williams but he was a part of the mix. One way or another the HC is involved in FA signings.

As for EJ, I'm not sure how they whiffed on him at this point. He still hasn't shown he can be the franchise QB but he also hasn't done enough to write him off.

Edited by The Wiz

I am so sick and tired of some of the posters and media around this team. The negativism is just out of control. Ive been away for a few days and watched the Bills win today with others. They don't follow the team like most of us do and I was telling them about the stuff on this board with Marrone et al. They were bursting a gut laughing at the idiocracy of wanting a 9-7 coach fired. Patience and tweaking is what is needed not a !@#$ing blow it up and start over.

It's not that stupid. The case can be made to keep him or let him go. This should have been a playoff team. They have a new owner and that alone is reason enough to get rid of this guy.

It's not that stupid. The case can be made to keep him or let him go. This should have been a playoff team. They have a new owner and that alone is reason enough to get rid of this guy.

If that is how Pegula is going to run the team, then we are royally effed for the foreseeable future.

Noted likable guys like Bill Belicheck and Bill Parcells are standing by.

I could give a rat's ass if Marrone is likable. I can't say for sure that I want him gone, but I want to see him get better at his job. Anyone who thinks he doesn't himself have room to grow is kidding themselves.

The fact that Marrone reminds me of guys like Parcells and Coughlin is the exact reason why I do like him.

Im not trying to date him, and I dont care what he has to say at the podium. I just want to see a team that is tough and fired up to play, and an improvement in the wins column. I want a coach that isnt afraid to get on the refs when they make bad calls, nor afraid to get on his players when needed (wind sprints). 2 years in, I like the progress he's made and look forward to moving forward next year.

Edited by DrDareustein

This is the thing that gets me. Before the season most predictions were for 6-10 or worse. Instead they finished 9-7. I mean, before people start moving the goalposts just because they don't like the guy, it's undeniable that his team just exceeded expectations by several games.