Revisiting the Lynch trade

dave mcbride

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he was one strike away and all, but this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time when it's all said and done (yes, I'm reacting a bit to his amazing 79 yard td run last night). Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, but we got virtually nothing for him and - with apologies to Fred - he's at least twice as good as any Bill offensive player since Kelly, Thomas, and Wolford. The last guy who came even remotely close was Moulds. And of course Lynch was pretty darn good his first two seasons with the Bills.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

Watching the Bills pathetic running game this season, I can onlly say grr ...

He ws an @$$hole when he was here, and I say continuing good riddance to him.

He's actually from Oakland, which is most assuredly in northern California.

Northern, Southern meh it was central California... he was way out of his element in Buffalo and these things should be a consideration when drafting...he was not a rust belt snow bound small town guy and his family was important..they also hated Buffalo...

Edited by rfk

Northern, Southern meh it was central California... he was way out of his element in Buffalo and these things should be a consideration when drafting...he was not a rust belt snow bound small town guy and his family was important..they also hated Buffalo...

The weather in New England, Green Bay, and Pittsburgh isn't all sunshine and pina coladas.

this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time

Wow, I guess it just really goes to show just how much opinions can vary on a player; I don't even think I would consider him to be one of the top 10 backs currently in the NFL, much less deserving to be even remotely close to belonging in a conversation about all-time greats.

He doesn't make people miss, isn't much of a threat in the passing game, has no burst, doesn't block and needs to have a 6 foot wide hole directly in front of him to build up enough momentum to be effective.

We don't even think about the guy except for once every couple years when we see a highlight reel run; the rest off the time he's stumbling into traffic for 3 yard gains and getting yanked on 3rd down because he's a one-dimensional plodder with a limited skill set and a woefully incomplete game.

He's fun to watch when everything lines up for him but at the end of the day he's still a dime-a-dozen straight line back that's fortunate to be in a great situation. If he was still in Buffalo we'd be recognizing what a horrible reach he was in the draft in the first place.

Wow, I guess it just really goes to show just how much opinions can vary on a player because don't even think I would consider him to be one of the top 10 backs currently in the NFL, much less deserving to be even remotely close to belonging in a conversation about all-time greats.

He doesn't make people miss, isn't much of a threat in the passing game, has no burst, doesn't block and needs to have a 6 foot wide hole directly in front of him to build up enough momentum to be effective.

We don't even think about the guy except for once every couple years when we see a highlight reel run; the rest off the time he's stumbling into traffic for 3 yard gains and getting yanked on 3rd down because he's a one-dimensional plodder with a limited skill set and a woefully incomplete game.

He's fun to watch when everything lines up for him but at the end of the day he's still a dime-a-dozen straight line back that's fortunate to be in a great situation. If he was still in Buffalo we'd be recognizing what a horrible reach he was in the draft in the first place.

The guy has almost 1600 rushing/receiving yards and 16 tds on the season.....care to share the 10 guys you think are better?

Edited by billsfan714

The guy has almost 1600 rushing/receiving yards and 16 tds on the season.....care to share the 10 guys you think are better?

I don't care much about the math; I just kind of go by what I see on the field.

As for other guys I'd rather have in my backfield because I think they're better backs:

Adrian Peterson

Shady McCoy

Arian Foster

Matt Forte

Jamaal Charles

DeMarco Murray

Leveon Bell

Fred Jackson

Frank Gore

Wow, I guess it just really goes to show just how much opinions can vary on a player because don't even think I would consider him to be one of the top 10 backs currently in the NFL, much less deserving to be even remotely close to belonging in a conversation about all-time greats.

I dunno, Simon. I've watched a LOT of Seahawks games over the years, and I think he's special. It's not just the highlight reel runs. It's just my opinion, but I think he's the best tackle-breaking back I've ever seen outside of Earl Campbell, and like you I've watched football for a long time. As it so happens, he used to consistently be in the top five for yards after contact with the Bills, but of course he was getting hit two yards behind the LOS!

He's had a good year receiving this year, btw - 34 catches, 9.7 ypc, and 4 receiving TDs.

Also, if you think Freddie - who I love - is better than Lynch, that's just blind homerism. Freddie has had no burst since around game 4 of this season.

Edited by dave mcbride

I know he was one strike away and all, but this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time when it's all said and done (yes, I'm reacting a bit to his amazing 79 yard td run last night). Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, but we got virtually nothing for him and - with apologies to Fred - he's at least twice as good as any Bill offensive player since Kelly, Thomas, and Wolford. The last guy who came even remotely close was Moulds. And of course Lynch was pretty darn good his first two seasons with the Bills.

http://www.pro-footb.../L/LyncMa00.htm

Could not agree more, however, this is another reflection of the organizational failures over the last 15 years. Poor coaching, weak FO, etc.

I'm glad he's not on this team anymore. I absolutely hate his attitude about pretty much everything. From sitting in a sea of players in suits at the Etsies texting on his phone in a hoodie, to turning down an invite to the White house to meet the President because he "wanted to hang out at home on the couch" that day, to his most recent interview:

I dunno, Simon. I've watched a LOT of Seahawks games over the years, and I think he's special. It's not just the highlight reel runs. It's just my opinion, but I think he's the best tackle-breaking back I've ever seen outside of Earl Campbell, and like you I've watched football for a long time. As it so happens, he used to consistently be in the top five for yards after contact with the Bills, but of course he was getting hit two yards behind the LOS!

He's had a good year receiving this year, btw - 34 catches, 9.7 ypc, and 4 receiving TDs.

Also, if you think Freddie - who I love - is better than Lynch, that's just blind homerism. Freddie has had no burst since around game 4 of this season.

I agree that he is certainly a load to handle once he gets a head of steam up. But until he gets that momentum going he's nothing but a big fat target, and he can't get that momentum going unless he's got a gaping hole directly in front of him. It makes him a hit or miss player that is way too reliant on others for his success.

And I will take Fred's brains, multi-dimensional skillset, leadership, propensity for clutch plays and ability to make something out of nothing every day of the week over a one-trick pony like Lynch. Regardless of how blind I may be, even I can see his greater value to a team.

I agree that he is certainly a load to handle once he gets a head of steam up. But until he gets that momentum going he's nothing but a big fat target, and he can't get that momentum going unless he's got a gaping hole directly in front of him. It makes him a hit or miss player that is way too reliant on others for his success.

And I will take Fred's brains, multi-dimensional skillset, leadership, propensity for clutch plays and ability to make something out of nothing every day of the week over a one-trick pony like Lynch. Regardless of how blind I may be, even I can see his greater value to a team.

I really disagree about him being a one-trick pony, and I've seen too many plays where he got nailed at the LOS and still got 15 yards to buy into the "fat target" charge.

I love Jackson too, but he has declined. The Bills running game isn't helped by its abysmal line, but the backs share some of the blame. I don't fault him - he's getting old and he's had injury issues this year.

I'm just so perplexed as to how our running game plummeted from top five to bottom five with the same crew essentially. If anything, we thought the OLine was upgraded with more talent, albeit raw talent. Just so weird. Has to be horrible coaching, there really is no other explanation. The run game sucked before Spiller and Freddy got hurt, too. Just imagine if we had the run game we had last year with this year's defense. Tuel could've run the offense and we would have been 12-4 at the worst, probably 13-3 and battling NE for the division.

It was a misdemeanor and resulted in 80 hours of community service. It was not a felony charge or conviction. And if the majority opinion of this board ran the Bills, they'd be in the CFL by now and still mired in a playoff drought. :nana:

People didn't like Lynch, I understand that. But posts like yours (full of hyperbole and personal attacks on a guy you've never met) are easy and cheap. I'm not trying to change your opinion on the guy, just saying you don't need to invent things to make him sound worse than he really is.

+1

i hated it then. and i hate it now.

He was terrible here. Freddy outplayed him in every respect.

I think he figured out how to be a much more effective runner in Seattle (I had heard he started studying when he got there).

Terrible is false. Blatantly false. If you are using stats fine. But the eyeball test tells a different tale all together

I remember Lynch commenting that he was a prisoner in his own apartment in Buffalo. He felt like he was under a microscope and was constantly watched and if he put his toe over a curb he would get arrested for jaywalking. Now, he may not have really been under such scrutiny but he FELT that he was...and made it very clear he was really unhappy in Buffalo. The Bills could have backed up a truck full of money and unloaded it on him, and he still wasn't going to stay here. So, regardless of what kind of runner he has become...it was never going to be for the Bills. The front office managed to get something for him, which, under the circumstances, was about the best we could have hoped for.

Absolutely true. He has been contemplating retirement since his 2nd yr. I said it before. He would tell me all the time that he wanted a real job because life off the field was not what people thought. He would always talk to me. But he wasnt ever a people person

They ripped off the Ravens in the McGahee trade and got excited by how smart they appeared to be, thinking they could pull off the same heist a second time. Oops.

We could also revisit the Peters trade. The league is littered with ex-Bills who are having highly productive careers.

But in the interim, he helped win them a Superbowl. They more than got their ROI in that trade. They would do it again and again and again, in a heartbeat.

Lol you have got to be kidding me. Jabari Greer Antoine Winfield Pat Williams London Fletcher? Yeah we only trade scrubs... (sarcasm)

I look at it as a symptom of the coaching changes. Which is why, as somebody said tongue in cheek above, I think we will be looking for a running back like lynch and getting rid of spiller. Same thing that's happening with the oline, trying to get rid of the spread guys and replacing them with heavier plow boys. I hope that once the pegulas decide on a front office/coaching staff they get 4-6 years to make it work so we don't have to spend resources replacing serviceable players because they are not "our" type of player.

Dont burn me... but why not use Dixon like lynch? I am amazed by how big he is in real life and then to see him move like that. Its insanity to me

It's was one of the DUMBEST moves of this century, which coupled with the draftin of Spiller makes it an even dumber decision.

And to think, they REPEATED the mistake when they traded away Stevie Johnson, who would have been killing it in te slot this year.

Woof

Dont make me cry at work

thats right...and still don't like Lynch as a man off the field. Would rather be 2-14 than root for that guy on my team...pretty str8 forward for me.

This guy hit someone with a car and took off....and you want him on your team?

Yes sir

I don't care much about the math; I just kind of go by what I see on the field.

As for other guys I'd rather have in my backfield because I think they're better backs:

Adrian Peterson

Shady McCoy

Arian Foster

Matt Forte

Jamaal Charles

DeMarco Murray

Leveon Bell

Fred Jackson

Frank Gore

You are crazy if you think Fred is better than lynch. You may be the only person on the planet to think that he is better. Sheesh. The bills are the best team ever! Everyone is awesome! Everyone is cool! Whoo hoo!! Super bowl baby!