Doug Marrone and Offensive line

bisonbrigade

This is the worst o-line in the NFL. I would use at least half of our draft picks on O-Lineman and sign three mid-level free agent O-lineman - have at least 15 guys in mini camp and training camp. Maybe a new O-line coach also.

Well, they did draft Kouandjio with a top 50 pick. He can't even get on the field with this group of trash.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and Henderson at RT, and Pears and Urbik at different positions, so not nearly the same. And, players don't maintain the same quality throughout their careers, some players don't have 10 year solid careers. It doesn't matter what happened a few years ago.

You are correct. But reasonable people may ask why has Hairston regressed so badly? Why was Pears still at G? What took so long to put Urbik back in the lineup? Why do other teams pick up street free agents and turn them into serviceable players? You know, the teams that picked up Urbik & Rhinegold off the street?

There are a lot of questions that should be asked about a former NFL OL, and who apparently spends a lot of training camp time with the OL unit.

The regression of the O-Line play is the most shocking thing about Marrone's 2 years in Buffalo. With all of the young talent they drafted, you'd think Marrone would have developed them into a cohesive unit that can run the ball at least. It's been bad..Overall offensive player development has been bad.

Same old Bills story....

How the O-line could regress this much is almost unreal.... Pears has no place as a starting guard in the NFL and not playing Urbick to start the season is the call of a moron or should I say a Marrone. I have no respect for Marrone after what this season has been. Saint Doug should go back to coaching college because he has no business being a HC on an NFL sideline.

Agreed!

O-Line is absolutely the problem that needs to be solved. The QB position is not great, but we need a better line. Has Woods also fallen that far or is the overall play making him look bad? Something is wrong with the planning as well as the talent. The Bills will not make the playoffs until this problem is fixed

This same oline (sans Levitre) looked pretty good when chan was here.

Ya...but why would Marrone spread out the offense on 3rd and short when he can have 7 men on the line and bring a WR in motion forcing the D to have 8 in the box and then let our running back try to run thru 16 large men?

Only good teams like the Pats, Green Bay,and Denver spread out on third and short and succeed. Saint Doug prefers to be .500 and be self proclaimed Saint Doug for working miracles at Syracuse for being .500.

I guess Saint Doug believes with this pro bowl defense he has created another miracle going 8-8? So, now he can move on elsewhere?

Ya...but why would Marrone spread out the offense on 3rd and short when he can have 7 men on the line and bring a WR in motion forcing the D to have 8 in the box and then let our running back try to run thru 16 large men?

Only good teams like the Pats, Green Bay,and Denver spread out on third and short and succeed. Saint Doug prefers to be .500 and be self proclaimed Saint Doug for working miracles at Syracuse for being .500.

I guess Saint Doug believes with this pro bowl defense he has created another miracle going 8-8? So, now he can move on elsewhere?

My biggest complaint. They use this formation and bring in Dixon. So easy to tell they were going to give him the ball.

Marrone should stay and they need to go all in on qb, oline, and te. This has been the best season in a decade and you want to fire the head coach. Smh. Have some faith in Whaley and the scouting staff. We find oline and our running game again this off-season and we are a contender.

I have a lot of faith in Whaley but not Marrone. My concern would be if Whaley lets Marrone stay that after Marrone disappoints again next year based on the talent on the roster that both get fired and we lose our best GM in 15 years.

Anyone can complain that we need a QB, G, and TE. But , what team has everything. Marrone is not a cutting edge HC as he suggested...he is archaic. Regardless, any average coach had the talent on this roster to get into the playoffs. Marrone is below average and we didn't. Even with shortcomings on offense the talent on offense is enough to be top 15 right? If you argue that it is for the sake of arguing.

Marrone should stay and they need to go all in on qb, oline, and te. This has been the best season in a decade and you want to fire the head coach. Smh. Have some faith in Whaley and the scouting staff. We find oline and our running game again this off-season and we are a contender.

I have a lot of faith in Whaley but not Marrone. My concern would be if Whaley lets Marrone stay that after Marrone disappoints again next year based on the talent on the roster that both get fired and we lose our best GM in 15 years.

Anyone can complain that we need a QB, G, and TE. But , what team has everything. Marrone is not a cutting edge HC as he suggested...he is archaic. Regardless, any average coach had the talent on this roster to get into the playoffs. Marrone is below average and we didn't. Even with shortcomings on offense the talent on offense is enough to be top 15 right? If you argue that it is for the sake of arguing.

The OL isn't good.

That said, folks need to look around the league and see what other OLs look like--most of ten aren't much better.

THE difference between playoff and non-playoff teams is QB.

It couldn't be clearer; just look at who's in and who's not.

Take last night's game: Seattle at Arizona. Two teams with great defenses and excellent coaching; one missing their franchise QB as a result of injury.

Who wins?

It's no mystery. A franchise QB solves 99% of the problem and makes this a playoff team without question.

The OL isn't good.

That said, folks need to look around the league and see what other OLs look like--most of ten aren't much better.

THE difference between playoff and non-playoff teams is QB.

It's no mystery. A franchise QB solves 99% of the problem and makes this a playoff team without question.

A franchise QB would not last 6 games behind this group. Where exactly would this "franchise" QB come from. You would have to give away to much, if it were even possible.

A franchise QB would not last 6 games behind this group. Where exactly would this "franchise" QB come from. You would have to give away to much, if it were even possible.

The QB is part of the problem, the OL needs supplemental players and tinkering by a real coaching staff. The OL needs a complete overhaul and 7 Hall of famers to be average under these clowns.

coaches coach, players play, but If the coach doesn't believe in the players, how can players believe in the coach, how many times did the coach believe in the line with game on the line especially with a good defense to back the offence up all year, Marone is as much the problem as the line is, leader led follower's follow, simple as that

Yes, he would. Go watch Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson, who play behind brutal pass-blocking lines. Neither has missed a start in their NFL careers, and both are very effective.

By the way, you're allowed to draft QBs...just like every other team does.

As for the cost, if you knew you'd win a Superbowl in the next 5 years, would you trade your next 5 first round picks for Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers?

The regression of the O-Line play is the most shocking thing about Marrone's 2 years in Buffalo. With all of the young talent they drafted, you'd think Marrone would have developed them into a cohesive unit that can run the ball at least. It's been bad..Overall offensive player development has been bad.

I don't want to draft three more Olinemen and two more FAs because Marrone can't figure it out.

Yes, he would. Go watch Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson, who play behind brutal pass-blocking lines. Neither has missed a start in their NFL careers, and both are very effective.

By the way, you're allowed to draft QBs...just like every other team does.

As for the cost, if you knew you'd win a Superbowl in the next 5 years, would you trade your next 5 first round picks for Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers?

Not without a new HC and OC....otherwise we would waste those 5 first rounders.

i know i'm repeating myself, but the only reason to move Pears inside to RG and take a shot.at often injured LG Chris Williams, was to build a wall in front of our 6'4" QB. We were set at LT and C, and either one of the rookies - presmably Kuno - or a veteran would win the RT spot.

if the line was built this way to facillitate the development of EJ within a quick hitting passing game, i understand. unfortunately, the inexperince of both our young QB and our receivers has been too much for the coaches to overcome. when the switch was made to Orton - the hope had to be that his skill at recognizing defenses would take care of one of the problems, but for whatever reason - i still believe it's poor preperation by our OC - our offense never evolved into the horizontal threat it was designed to be. making a defense defend the width of the field against a precision passing offense that will throw on any down and distance will stretch your coverages - which means your LBs have to be ready to move laterally with every pre-snap motion. this can result in moving second level defenders away from the playside when running the ball, which also puts pressure on the defensive line's gap and contain responsibilities. its a system that can work, and continues to work at any level of the game, but everything falls apart when the precision and timing of the passing game sputters.

this is where we are. we're unable to move defenders by formation and motion, and the wall that was built to develop EJ isn't agile enough to pull to trap, pull to sweep, combination block the second level, or execute many of the finer points that the Bandit has been posting about O line play.

I don't want to draft three more Olinemen and two more FAs because Marrone can't figure it out.

Not without a new HC and OC....otherwise we would waste those 5 first rounders.

Nothing personal here...just can't say I agree with that at all.

Luck was great with Arians as OC, and he's still great with Hamilton. Meanwhile, Arians had some success on offense with Palmer in Arizona, but without him, it's down the tubes...leads me to the conclusion that the QB matters FAR more than the OC.

Same goes for Rodgers. He's been great with and without Philbin, with and without Ben McAdoo, with and without Doug Pederson, etc. Now he's putting up MVP numbers with Alex Van Pelt and Tom Clements running the offense...both of whom were total flops as OC in Buffalo.

A franchise QB makes everyone look like a genius.

Nothing personal here...just can't say I agree with that at all.

Luck was great with Arians as OC, and he's still great with Hamilton. Meanwhile, Arians had some success on offense with Palmer in Arizona, but without him, it's down the tubes...leads me to the conclusion that the QB matters FAR more than the OC.

Same goes for Rodgers. He's been great with and without Philbin, with and without Ben McAdoo, with and without Doug Pederson, etc. Now he's putting up MVP numbers with Alex Van Pelt and Tom Clements running the offense...both of whom were total flops as OC in Buffalo.

A franchise QB makes everyone look like a genius.

But think about that Bandit for a second. The best qb prospect since Peyton had Bruce Arians as his rookie OC. The next year, he got his college OC, who was much more accomplished that Hackett.

Rodgers didn't play for 4 years but watched a HOFer play.

Manuel got Hackett as both an OC and QB coach. He learned from vets like Kolb, Lewis, & Orton. At the first sign of trouble, we benched EJ for Orton, who has a worse qbr than Manuel did as a rookie.

The Bills completely failed at developing a young qb and it leaves a huge question mark going into next year.

The oline has not been bad for the past month. But part of the reason it was bad to being with was solely on Marrone. His weird personal benching of our best G. Moving Pears to G.

Marrone has failed at the offensive side of the football, which has been his. A ground his whole career.

I read on here often that Coach Marrone is some kindof Offensive Line guru or something to that effect.

He had a cup of coffee as an offensive lineman being activated for 3 games with the fish. Then he was offensive line coach somewhere (New Orleans maybe) for 1 year. Oh, and he played for the London Monarchs.

He really hasn't done much in the NFL in regards to offensive line success.

Can anyone point to somewhere in the NFL where he has been successful at anything?