Let Hughes Walk if he wants too much (Or.. why Hughes is often more tr

slyng1

Young players with a lot of talent that make big plays and get double digit sacks two years in a row, the only two years he has started, make a LOT of money. He's going to break the bank. Pass rushers are the third biggest commodity there is. And the cap is going up. I think he will make 12 million actually.

Yep. He's a lot younger than Jared Allen and has 3-4 prime years left.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young players with a lot of talent that make big plays and get double digit sacks two years in a row, the only two years he has started, make a LOT of money. He's going to break the bank. Pass rushers are the third biggest commodity there is. And the cap is going up. I think he will make 12 million actually.

Shall we list the teams that will making offers yet ?

4 years 48 right ?

What people don't realize is how good of an all around player Hughes is. He has 49 tackles for a DE. That is 11th in the league for all defensive linemen. And while tackles are somewhat deceiving for linebackers and DBs because they are often many yards upfield, they're not nearly as much for defensive linemen. He's made a lot of stops along the line. He's been great against the run, surprisingly good. He's forced three fumbles.

You can only afford so much money for one position. Signing Darius to a new contract is likely going to cost big $$, so unless they plan to let Mario W walk, I think you let Hughes go unless you can sign him for a reasonable amount of money. They also have two or three other guys for depth or find and sign a much cheaper version of Hughes

What people don't realize is how good of an all around player Hughes is. He has 49 tackles for a DE. That is 11th in the league for all defensive linemen. And while tackles are somewhat deceiving for linebackers and DBs because they are often many yards upfield, they're not nearly as much for defensive linemen. He's made a lot of stops along the line. He's been great against the run, surprisingly good. He's forced three fumbles.

He been surprisingly good against the run, because, last year, he wasn't on the field against the run...as Pettine felt he was weak in phase of the game. He has proven to be capable this year, but who knows in another defensive scheme. He fits Schwartz definition of a DE. Frankly, when Schwartz announced that Hughes was to be starting DE, I was a little concerned because of the 2013 performance. So, any team that puts up big for Hughes (say 48 for 4) is taking a BIG chance based on one years performance. Just like when you draft, you look for multiple years of good performance. Jerry was one dimensional last year, all around this year. Which is the real Jerry......the marketplace will tell us.

Good all around player absolutely but this was really about all the negative plays he makes too. Someone here posted that he's got 84 yrds of penalties this year. The Bills have 923 for the whole year. So he's got 9% of all team penalty yards. Assuming 22 players, not counting subs, a player should have 4.5% of penalties (1/22). So he's getting double his share of penalties. FWIW, he's 18th in the league in penalty yardage.

Not only that but they come at awful times. 2 really stand out to me.

In the Denver game, 3rd and 8 from the 34 (a 51 yard FG). Pass incomplete but unsportsmanlike conduct on Hughes. So a missable FG turns into a fresh set of downs and Denver marches down and scores a TD. So at a minimum thats 4pts lost directly by Hughes. In reality though that's a lower percentage FG and a miss sets you up with great field position. So it really cost you closer to 7pts.

In the Pats game he had a unsportsmanlike, a roughing the Passer, and an offsides. The first penalty moved the Pats from the 38 to the 23,and had it not been for a rare Gostkowski miss would have led to points. The roughing the Passer penalty extended a drive in the 4th qtr and led to points.

One other item which I'm sure many of you will take issue with. Sacks are great, but are usually for 4-7 yards. So he's got what... 10? So let's say that's about 60yards of "performance". Yet his personal fouls are 15 each AND give the opposing offense 3 new downs.

All I'm saying is you can't look at his stats in isolation. And again, I'm not saying you don't re-sign the guy, I'm just saying you don't talk yourself into over paying because you ignore the yards he costs you on his bone head plays.

Pay Hughes. Any talk of him being a one dimensional player or costing the team w penalties is just not the full or accurate picture. The guy is on the rise, has years left and even more to prove. Lock him up, we don't pay our LBs anything, there is more than enough money to fit Hughes in while resigning Dareus (later of course) and bring in help on the OL.

Pay Hughes. Any talk of him being a one dimensional player or costing the team w penalties is just not the full or accurate picture. The guy is on the rise, has years left and even more to prove. Lock him up, we don't pay our LBs anything, there is more than enough money to fit Hughes in while resigning Dareus (later of course) and bring in help on the OL.

Who said he was one dimensional? But the penalty numbers are what they are... He costs us a ton of penalty yards.

And no one said don't pay him, just don't break the bank.

Who said he was one dimensional? But the penalty numbers are what they are... He costs us a ton of penalty yards.

And no one said don't pay him, just don't break the bank.

He has three unnecessary roughness penalties. One of the three, everyone agrees was not a penalty. Everyone. You want to get rid of the guy for two dumb penalties?

He has three unnecessary roughness penalties. One of the three, everyone agrees was not a penalty. Everyone. You want to get rid of the guy for two dumb penalties?

I'm pretty sure both my larger posts state pretty explicitly that I don't want to get rid of him.

Lets just review Here's our current team's penalty rankings. Hopefully this table will format OK.

Penalty yardage (top 10 on Buffalo, plus the rest of the d-line for reference)

Rank Player # of Penalties Yards Avg/Game

1 Hughes 9 - 84 6

2 Gilmore 7 - 74 5.28

3 McKelvin 5 - 70 5

4 D Williams 5 - 61

5 A Williams 3 - 58 4.14

6 S Chandler 6 - 55 3.92

7 C Glenn 6 - 39 2.57

8 N Bradham 6 - 36 2.57

9 S Watkins 5 - 35 2.5

10 E Pears 3 - 34 2.42

19 M Dareus 3 - 15 1.07

20 K Williams 2 - 15 1.07

30 M Williams 1 - 5 0.35

People act like we're playing fantasy football here where we get 2pts per sack -- these penalty yards are real and do translate into points scored against us.

Please note the rest of our d-line... #19, #20, and #30 on the team in penalties called against. Hughes has twice as many penalty yards versus that entire line PUT TOGETHER.

And finally, an unrelated point that I'm sure has been discussed in the other J Hughes thread -- It's pretty difficult to judge him on his own merits when the rest of this pro-bowl line is drawing the double coverages away from him.

So no, he's not worth breaking the bank for. Just my opinion.

Edited by slyng1