SI: How the Bills are beating the NFL's best QBs

YoloinOhio

He said in the post-game that the open guy was 3rd read and the guy he threw to was 2nd read and appeared to be open.

Cool.. So he admitted he made the wrong decision.

Great Bills D effort and awful game by Rogers = win for Bills. Let's hope we catch Brady having one of those days too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A question from the article, for the knowledgeable fans here. Marrone is quoted in that article: "Obviously, they played at a very high level," Marrone said of his defense. "We were able to go in and, early on, we took away some of the stop-nines they were trying to run and get them to the second read..."

What exactly are 'stop-nines'?

kj

"He appeared to be open" is not the wrong decision. It was a good play by Rambo, end of story.

Yes it was the wrong decision dude...the friggin ball got picked.....Why can't you just admit that Rogers made a bad decision? Even he admitted it. He said the receiver APPEARED to be open.

He didn't say, well my guy was open but I decided to throw the ball to the safety instead. You can say that the coverage was soft, but it wasn't soft enough or else it would not have been picked.

I hope every qb we face makes the same accurate decision you seem to think Rogers made on that play.....

Disagree... Look at the play a few more times. Rambo turns his shoulder away from the outside receiver and starts cheating towards the slot guy well before Rogers locked on him. When Rogers locked in on the slot receiver, then Rambo made a break on the ball.

If that was Orton in at QB on that play, some people would be using this as yet another excuse to call him the worst qb in the league. But because it is Rogers, they say the defender made a great play instead of blaming the QB for a bad decision.

Saying orton and Rogers in the same sentence makes me giggle. Rogers 35 tds. Orton 14.

By effectively rushing 4 and dropping 7 into coverage.

Yup....that's really all you need to know. Giants won 2 Super Bowls in recent years with an otherwise average team because they could consistently pressure the QB with 4 rushers.

Gotta resign Hughes.

Saying orton and Rogers in the same sentence makes me giggle. Rogers 35 tds. Orton 14.

Yes it is humorous. And people will think I am suggesting Orton is better than he is. And I am not suggesting that. Orton is not a great QB.

My intention is just to point out that even elite quarterbacks take a crap that smells pretty bad sometimes. And it is okay to admit that.

Agreed. And, given the screen shot here, what's talked about as sure 94 yard td becomes a 40-50ish yard completion against a d playing very well for the other 59:50 of game time. A great play no doubt, but hardly a sure thing and hardly a nail in the coffin at that point.

I'm not as sure as you guys that Williams would've caught him. Could've, maybe. But Williams isn't particularly fast for a DB, and Nelson is a burner. Turning back, looking for the ball, and catching it (2 out of 3 ain't bad) slows you down, but if Nelson had brought the ball in, he would've been able to accelerate afterwards. Once he gets to top speed, Williams can't catch him. Williams was about a yard downfield of Nelson at the time of the drop, and looked to be taking a good angle, so maybe Williams could've gotten to him in time, but I'm not sure. Luckily we didn't have to find out.

Yes it is humorous. And people will think I am suggesting Orton is better than he is. And I am not suggesting that. Orton is not a great QB.

My intention is just to point out that even elite quarterbacks take a crap that smells pretty bad sometimes. And it is okay to admit that.

Agreed. Orton is bad, but even great QBs have bad plays and bad games.

Not sure if this is the play they all talk about.... I don't think Nelson would have gotten a TD on that play if he had caught the ball. just saying

kVGM.gif

Yes, that's the play. I have been thinking the same thing but I have not seen anyone really mention this other than you!

The overwhelming odds are that the tackle is made on that play if the ball is caught. Would have been big gain of course, but not a TD.

Yes it was the wrong decision dude...the friggin ball got picked.....Why can't you just admit that Rogers made a bad decision? Even he admitted it. He said the receiver APPEARED to be open.

He didn't say, well my guy was open but I decided to throw the ball to the safety instead. You can say that the coverage was soft, but it wasn't soft enough or else it would not have been picked.

I hope every qb we face makes the same accurate decision you seem to think Rogers made on that play.....

Dude, if Rambo cuts a half step later, and Cobb catches the ball, it'd be a non discussion. Earlier in the post, Duke misses out on a similar play, and it was a completion, and there's no discussion about it. That sort of QB decision, "appears to be open" is very normal, sometimes a defensive player makes a good enough play to change "open" to "covered" while the QB delivers the ball. To me this is a case of the Bills learning GB's tendancies, and making strong plays.

My biggest issue with Rodgers in this play is that he threw the ball a little late, and a little behind Cobb. Rambo would have whiffed big time on his gamble if Rodgers threw it earlier and hit Cobb in stride. So I agree Rodgers was imperfect, but I have zero issues with his decision, and recognize that Rambo made a good defensive play on the ball that was thrown.

I'm not as sure as you guys that Williams would've caught him. Could've, maybe. But Williams isn't particularly fast for a DB, and Nelson is a burner. Turning back, looking for the ball, and catching it (2 out of 3 ain't bad) slows you down, but if Nelson had brought the ball in, he would've been able to accelerate afterwards. Once he gets to top speed, Williams can't catch him. Williams was about a yard downfield of Nelson at the time of the drop, and looked to be taking a good angle, so maybe Williams could've gotten to him in time, but I'm not sure. Luckily we didn't have to find out.

Agreed. Orton is bad, but even great QBs have bad plays and bad games.

AW had a good angle, imo. If he was behind Nelson, then yeah, Nelson is gone... but AW was a couple yards in front of Nelson and heading towards him at full speed where Nelson had to slow down just a tad for the catch. I just don't think this is a guaranteed 94 yard TD like everyone is touting.

Edited by Dorkington

Because Rambo was reacting to Rodgers the entire play, if Rodgers looks at Nelson, then Rambo would have gone that way. Rodgers probably could have looked him off, but it's dangerous to do that for very long with a front four like the Bills.

Because Rambo was reacting to Rodgers the entire play, if Rodgers looks at Nelson, then Rambo would have gone that way. Rodgers probably could have looked him off, but it's dangerous to do that for very long with a front four like the Bills.

Absolutely. Rodgers looks only to the left half of the field that entire play before throwing. He never looks to the right of an imaginary center line going down the middle of the field.

Rambo was reading that head movement the entire time and acted accordingly. If Rodgers had been looking the other way at Nelson, Rambo would have broken to his left, not his right.

So Nelson looks "more open" than he arguably was on that play.

And what a great play this was by Rambo! Really nice.

AW had a good angle, imo. If he was behind Nelson, then yeah, Nelson is gone... but AW was a couple yards in front of Nelson and heading towards him at full speed where Nelson had to slow down just a tad for the catch. I just don't think this is a guaranteed 94 yard TD like everyone is touting.

I agree that it wasn't a guaranteed TD - no way to know if Williams would've gotten there in time, or made the stop. (Would've been a diving tackle at a fast-moving elusive WR in the open field... not exactly a guarantee.) I feel like Nelson had already slowed down by the time the camera pans over to him, and it still looks like he's moving at least as fast as Williams, who is probably already at top speed. I'd give it something like 60-70% chance at a TD if he catches it.

I agree that it wasn't a guaranteed TD - no way to know if Williams would've gotten there in time, or made the stop. (Would've been a diving tackle at a fast-moving elusive WR in the open field... not exactly a guarantee.) I feel like Nelson had already slowed down by the time the camera pans over to him, and it still looks like he's moving at least as fast as Williams, who is probably already at top speed. I'd give it something like 60-70% chance at a TD if he catches it.

I'd say it is more like 5%. In fact, the only way that is a touchdown is if Williams goes to make the tackle and bounces off with a poorly executed, missed tackle. Which is entirely possible! But not likely.

Once Nelson started to bobble the ball, he really slowed down and had his head down. In fact, there is a much greater chance of him getting totally lighted up by Williams for a fumble...as opposed to Nelson scoring a TD.

Neither play is very likely to have occurred though.

Whatever! It's over now...