(OT) Planing to go to San Fran for my 20th

envirojeff

As a Bay Area resident, here are some of my "local" tips...

- Fall is absolutely the nicest time of year in the Bay Area, so you should have fantastic weather. Don't even worry about rain, because it rarely rains between May and November.

- Head north to Marin County. In one short drive, you can visit Muir Woods (outrageous redwood grove) and the summit of Mount Tamalpais (a.k.a., Mt Tam). You could also extend the trip by a bit and go to Stinson Beach while you're in Marin.

- You could extend the Marin trip even further and head to the Wine Country of Sonoma and Napa counties.

- In the city, try to get a sense of the local flavor in each neighborhood. Chinatown is OK, but each neighborhood has it's own groove. North Beach (Little Italy), The Haight (hippie central), Cow Hollow (yuppie ville)... each one is unique.

- Head up to the top of Twin Peaks, which is the highest point in The City. Absolutely amazing views.

- If you're into the arts, check out the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), or the San Francisco Symphony (world class).

- If you're into night life, check out who's playing at any of the local venues, like Slim's, The Warfield, Bimbo's, The Paradise Lounge, Cafe du Nord, etc.

That's it for now. I could go on all day! PM me if you want more details.

I went over Christmas, it was cool. Went to the northstar.

Get around by transit.

Go to Castro, Mission, Chinatown, Union Square. Cool Neighbourhoods.

I stayed at the York on Sutter street...cheap and I thought it was fairy nice. I don't spend alot of time in the hotel, so I don't look for a 4-5 star hotel. Free continental breakfast to boot!

As a Bay Area resident, here are some of my "local" tips...

- Fall is absolutely the nicest time of year in the Bay Area, so you should have fantastic weather.  Don't even worry about rain, because it rarely rains between May and November.

- Head north to Marin County.  In one short drive, you can visit Muir Woods (outrageous redwood grove) and the summit of Mount Tamalpais (a.k.a., Mt Tam).  You could also extend the trip by a bit and go to Stinson Beach while you're in Marin.

- You could extend the Marin trip even further and head to the Wine Country of Sonoma and Napa counties.

- In the city, try to get a sense of the local flavor in each neighborhood.  Chinatown is OK, but each neighborhood has it's own groove.  North Beach (Little Italy), The Haight (hippie central), Cow Hollow (yuppie ville)... each one is unique.

- Head up to the top of Twin Peaks, which is the highest point in The City.  Absolutely amazing views.

- If you're into the arts, check out the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), or the San Francisco Symphony (world class).

- If you're into night life, check out who's playing at any of the local venues, like Slim's, The Warfield, Bimbo's, The Paradise Lounge, Cafe du Nord, etc.

That's it for now.  I could go on all day!  PM me if you want more details.

227477[/snapback]

What he said, but I'd add a trip south to the Monterey Bay and would probably stop in Santa Cruz as well. Highway 1 is always a spectacular drive. I also wouldn't eat in any chain restaurant in any of those places, as there are so many terrific little ethnic and mom & pop joints to hit...

We spent a week there almost 6 years ago...some of the things we did:

---We spent most of our time at a "bed and breakfast" style place. Studio apartment. It was nice because we didn't have to deal with the usual hotel crap (except for the last few days...they didn't have the place available for the full week). http://www.orangedogmanor.com/ Within walking distance of Golden Gate Park and Haight-Ashbury.

---We used the public transport (bus) most of the week. Worked out all right for us, once we figured out the bus lines.

---We rented a car for one day. It was the day we had to move to the hotel, and we used that day to go up North. Went to Muir Woods, hiked around, it was nice. We went from there to check out the Point Reyes lighthouse, but we had spent too much time at Muir Woods and the lighthouse was closing when we got there....

---We took the "Blue and Gold" Fleet (the ones that run the ferry to Alcatraz) tour of Napa. It was nice. Went to a vineyard (Viansa...nice wine and food!), an alembic brandy distillery (for a sniffing), and a "sparkling wine" vineyard.

---The Exploratorium is a cool inside thing to do, if you're into that type of thing.

---We actually used a guide, and had much better luck with restaurants that were recommended by the guide than when we "winged it." In particular, there was a narrow street that had a couple of bistros where they had tables out in the street, I believe it was in the Market District. Good food!

---Then of course there's the standard stuff you mentioned. Pay the extra for the audio tour of Alcatraz. It's worth it, IMO.

North Star

Chrissy Field - http://www.crissyfield.org/ Primo shoreline view of the bay/alcatraz/Marin and stroll to base of GG Bridge -

Twin Peaks - http://www.sftravel.com/twinpeakssanfrancisco.html

Breakfast - Chloes - http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/899040 - get there early

Dinner - http://www.beachchalet.com/ - Converted roadhouse with stunning views of Ocean Beach. 1930's WPA murals.

Coit Tower - http://www.coittower.org/ - Firehose monument to firemen above Telegraph Hill. Panaramic views of the bay that stimulates the female libido: think large columnar structure with name invoking the deed.

Other dinner options:

Michaelangelo Cafe - Northbeach

Little Nepal - Bernal Hights - mmm grilled meat, and momo's.

PM if you need more info.

What he said, but I'd add a trip south to the Monterey Bay and would probably stop in Santa Cruz as well.  Highway 1 is always a spectacular drive.  I also wouldn't eat in any chain restaurant in any of those places, as there are so many terrific little ethnic and mom & pop joints to hit...

227487[/snapback]

If you take the coastal drive, stop at main street sushi and the Half Moon Bay Bakery in half moon bay. And hit Duarte's (cream of artichoke soup) and arangelis bakery (artichoke and garlic bread in Pescadero.

Yes, we will be renting a car and staying 4 days-3 nights

Jeff

227506[/snapback]

One of the things I do in every city I visit is take walking tours. In San Fran, I have done a couple of them. The best was a walking tour of the Victorian homes in the area. Very cool history lesson, and great to learn about the differant styles of architecture. We also did one of Chinatown, which included a DIM Sum lunch at a place we would never find on our own. Great thing about them is they are usually only 5-10 bucks, extra if you need to use public transportaion,, last 2-3 hours and you learn a great deal about the neighborhood.

If you buy a Fodors or Frommers guide, they usually list the better ones. Also, there is a magazine called Time Out that you should pick up when you get into San Fran that list all of that happenings that week, as well as detail any walks scheduled for that week that the other places might not had listed.

go to Golden Gate Park and play hacky-sack with all the hippies while smoking a big doobie!!

Actually, The Haight/Ashbury district has some really cool bars and music stores if your into that. I had a great time.

Check out a Giants game too as the stadium is awesome. Just don't mind the $30 parking and $15 beers!!

Have fun! :(

When at Crissy Field or at the small park just before crossing the GG Bridge, see Fort point, the civil War fort UNDER the bridge. it's only open certain days, so check ahead.

Get your tickets for Alcatraz ahead of time. There are only so many spots available on the boat/day.

At the peak of the tourist season, they might be selling tickets for Wednesday's trips on a Sunday if you just walked up.

Bring a sweatshirt and long pants with you. Fall is the warmest time in SF, but it can very greatlyin only a few miles. Last time I took someone there, it was 85 and sunny in Chinatown. At Fisherman's Wharf, only a mile or so away, it was 60 and foggy! The shops at the Wharf make a killing selling $35 sweatshirts to tourists.

If you are there on the first weekend of October, It is Fleet Week and there are several navy ships available for touring and an air show over the bay. It is cool seeing the Blue Angels circle low over the city and looking like they were going between the towers of the Oakland Bay Bridge.