Wired For Sound: Sammy Watkins

26CornerBlitz

Mike Greenberg said this morning he would take Beckham #1 overall in a redraft. I love Beckham, but that's pure hindsight. He's a 5'10 WR and they don't go #1. He's impressive though, as is Watkins. Beckham has a better QB and got his injury out of the way early. Would like to see Sammy healthy next year and then compare again. Plus Evans is having just as good a season as Beckham, and with his size he probably would have still been drafted earlier.

Mike Greenberg said this morning he would take Beckham #1 overall in a redraft. I love Beckham, but that's pure hindsight. He's a 5'10 WR and they don't go #1. He's impressive though, as is Watkins. Beckham has a better QB and got his injury out of the way early. Would like to see Sammy healthy next year and then compare again. Plus Evans is having just as good a season as Beckham, and with his size he probably would have still been drafted earlier.

He plays in the slot a lot too. I'd be interested to see how much in plays in the slot vs. outside.

He plays in the slot a lot too. I'd be interested to see how much in plays in the slot vs. outside.

tbh I have mostly seen his highlights and stats. He seems to fit in very well with their offense. The game I did see he was targeted constantly. When Cruz comes back, they will be a nice tandem. Edited by YoloinOhio

I thought Benjamin had the best stats of all rooks? Out of the 4. Sammy is lost in the shuffle. Thanks Hackett Orton and to some degree EJ.

I thought Benjamin had the best stats of all rooks? Out of the 4. Sammy is lost in the shuffle. Thanks Hackett Orton and to some degree EJ.

i don't know about stats, that may be. I've watched Benjamin quite a bit (he's on my fantasy team) and he drops way too many easy passes and sloppy routes for me to take him top 10.

i don't know about stats, that may be. I've watched Benjamin quite a bit (he's on my fantasy team) and he drops way too many easy passes and sloppy routes for me to take him top 10.

That was his game at FSU as well. Makes you cheer wildly for some really great plays and scream at the others.

Compare them in 5 years.

That is the wise plan.

I don't agree that 6'1" is any better than 5'10" for a WR. 6'1" is no mans land. It's too lanky to be durable, too short to be uncoverable. This is not hindsight. I was against drafting Sammy long before the draft (my belief was Benjamin had the best chance of saving EJ from busting). Whatever metrics the scouts followed to value Sammy twice as high as Bechham was flawed, plain and simple.

Okay, turning this into another Orton sucks thread.

Did you hear him say.."hey, they turning and just letting us run right by"

Assume thats cause they know Orton aint throwing it downfield!

(BTW, i have no idea if that is what Sammy was talking bout, i just look for any reason to hate on Orton :lol: )

Okay, turning this into another Orton sucks thread.

Did you hear him say.."hey, they turning and just letting us run right by"

Assume thats cause they know Orton aint throwing it downfield!

(BTW, i have no idea if that is what Sammy was talking bout, i just look for any reason to hate on Orton :lol: )

You could very well be right.

I don't agree that 6'1" is any better than 5'10" for a WR. 6'1" is no mans land. It's too lanky to be durable, too short to be uncoverable. This is not hindsight. I was against drafting Sammy long before the draft (my belief was Benjamin had the best chance of saving EJ from busting). Whatever metrics the scouts followed to value Sammy twice as high as Bechham was flawed, plain and simple.

I don't think height determines how good of a WR the guy will turn out to be. I do think it determines where they are drafted when it comes to being the #1 overall pick and that was my point. Freakish height/speed combos like Calvin Johnson are going to go in the top 3 but a 5'10 WR, no matter how good of a skill set he has, isn't. That doesn't mean he won't be better than Calvin, it doesn't mean Sammy will be better because he is taller. I personally think Sammy is a better overall talent but Beckham is a great player.