Teams most likely to get rid of head coach:

- jets (Ryan)

- bears (trestman)

- Miami (philbin)

- 9ers (harbaugh)

- raiders (Sparano)

- Atlanta (smith)

- panthers (Rivera)

So that's potentially a pair of new head coaches in our division. Thoughts on who replaces them? Would McDaniel leave bellichick for a division rival? Seahawks DC gets one of them? A newly unemployed HC like Harbaugh? Who's the next "chip Kelly" coming out of college ranks?

Edited by JTSP

2 college coaches that are getting a bit of chatter are:

1 - Art Briles (Baylor)

2 - Gud Malzhan (AubUrn)

I have been of the belief for sometime that Bill Cowher has been waiting for the Giants job. We'll see if the G-men decide to part ways with Coughlin.

All the chatter has Jim Harbaugh hopping over to Oakland if he doesn't take the job at the University of Michigan, but I believe the Dolphins will make a huge push to get him, as they did several years ago before he went to San Fran. I believe the Jets will target an offensive minded head coach after Rex Ryan's tenure......and I think Art Briles and some of the quality offensive coordinators in the NFL will get looks by the NYJ.

I also believe there will be a shakeup with the Tennessee Titans staff. That team is way too much of a train wreck for there not to be changes.

Edited by Estro

2 college coaches that are getting a bit of chatter are:

1 - Art Briles (Baylor)

2 - Gud Malzhan (AubUrn)

I have been of the belief for sometime that Bill Cowher has been waiting for the Giants job. We'll see if the G-men decide to part ways with Coughlin.

All the chatter has Jim Harbaugh hopping over to Oakland if he doesn't take the job at the University of Michigan, but I believe the Dolphins will make a huge push to get him, as they did several years ago before he went to San Fran. I believe the Jets will target an offensive minded head coach after Rex Ryan's tenure......and I think Art Briles and some of the quality offensive coordinators in the NFL to get looks by the NYJ.

I also believe there will be a shakeup with the Tennessee Titans staff. That team is way too much of a train wreck for there not to be changes.

Buzz out of NY is that coughlin is back and that beckham saved him. They think with IRd starters back and another draft they're right back in it. Titans are horrid but I don't think they dump whisenhunt after a year, particularly if they get him a shiny new toy like Mariota

Edited by JTSP

Buzz out of NY is that coughlin is back and that beckham saved him. They think with IRd starters back and another draft they're right back in it. Titans are horrid but I don't think they dump whisenhunt after a year, particularly if they get him a shiny new toy like Mariota

I think it's a wise move....Coughlin's track record there speaks for itself. I think the lack of a quality RB, mostly due to the injuring of Jennings have really hurt that offense. Eli is so much better when he has a decent run game around him....and they were not getting that at all with Jennings banged up. Andre Williams stinks, IMO. You might be right about Whisenhunt, but its just delaying the inevitable IMO. The way that team tried to build it's team, ala signing and drafting OG's like crazy, just makes no sense, which is more of an indictment on their GM.

Gus Bradley should be fired

Yea I thought he did an ok job in year 1 with the Jags and expected them to take a step forward this year but they are still terrible. I might give him one more shot but he is on a short leash.

I think gone are:

Rex Ryan

Marc Trestman

Tony Sporano

Mike Smith

Jim Harbaugh

Those for whom the next 2 games are a fight for their job:

Ron Rivera

Joe Philbin

Jay Gruden

Tom Coughlin

And my wild card sacking - Marvin Lewis. If the Bengals go 0-2 down the stretch and end up outside the play-offs maybe they run out of patience with him. He has underacheived with a talented group the past 3 years IMO.

So who gets the jobs? Some early predictions.... I think Adam Gase will get looks... maybe the Jets? If Washington decides to back RGIII over yet another HC then they have to go and get Art Briles. Jim Harbaugh looks headed for Oakland but don't rule out Chicago where he played..... that is the wild-card destination for him IMO. I've said all year I think Jim Schwartz will be high up Atlanta's list (especially if Dierdoff survives as GM) and Hue Jackson will get interviews too... if Lewis does get canned I could imagine the Bengals promoting him. The real intriguing one is who replaces Harbaugh in San Francisco?? The smart money seemed to be on somebody from inside the organisation. Given the offensive struggles I think that Greg Roman's shot has probably gone... but maybe Vic Fangio? Or what about Jim Tomsula who served as interim HC before Harbaugh arrived and is highly rated in the organisation?

I think an interesting topic with what will be what happens with the Jets and Dolphins. The Jets defense has been their strengths for years, even this year it is still a halfway decent defense except for the secondary. Without Ryan I think that defense falls apart. They will be a mess next year, again. I think they'll want to bring in an Offensive coach, which won't help much because the Offensive side of the ball is severely lacking in talent.

The Dolphins should be interesting as well as they possibly hit the reset button again.

Yea I thought he did an ok job in year 1 with the Jags and expected them to take a step forward this year but they are still terrible. I might give him one more shot but he is on a short leash.

I think gone are:

Rex Ryan

Marc Trestman

Tony Sporano

Mike Smith

Jim Harbaugh

Those for whom the next 2 games are a fight for their job:

Ron Rivera

Joe Philbin

Jay Gruden

Tom Coughlin

And my wild card sacking - Marvin Lewis. If the Bengals go 0-2 down the stretch and end up outside the play-offs maybe they run out of patience with him. He has underacheived with a talented group the past 3 years IMO.

So who gets the jobs? Some early predictions.... I think Adam Gase will get looks... maybe the Jets? If Washington decides to back RGIII over yet another HC then they have to go and get Art Briles. Jim Harbaugh looks headed for Oakland but don't rule out Chicago where he played..... that is the wild-card destination for him IMO. I've said all year I think Jim Schwartz will be high up Atlanta's list (especially if Dierdoff survives as GM) and Hue Jackson will get interviews too... if Lewis does get canned I could imagine the Bengals promoting him. The real intriguing one is who replaces Harbaugh in San Francisco?? The smart money seemed to be on somebody from inside the organisation. Given the offensive struggles I think that Greg Roman's shot has probably gone... but maybe Vic Fangio? Or what about Jim Tomsula who served as interim HC before Harbaugh arrived and is highly rated in the organisation?

thats my greatest fear, with the usual 5-7 job openings and what doesnt appear a particularly deep candidate list, and the way our defense played this year and developed an identity, I could see him getting another shot. Then it's yet another off-season looking for a new DC.

Edited by JTSP

I can't see a way Schwartz doesn't get interviews tbh. I'd love to be wrong - he is the best coaching hire the Bills have made in years, but he will get looks. I've mentioned before but that group of young staffers who were on Belichick's staff in Cleveland are particularly close and Dimitroff (I got his name wrong above) was Schwartz's housemate in Cleveland. He interviewed him when they hired Smith back in 2008, and since that point Schwartz has had some experience as a HC then excelled again as a DC. I can't imagine that if Dimitroff survives (he might not - they might clean house) they don't at least interview Schwartz again.

I can't see a way Schwartz doesn't get interviews tbh. I'd love to be wrong - he is the best coaching hire the Bills have made in years, but he will get looks. I've mentioned before but that group of young staffers who were on Belichick's staff in Cleveland are particularly close and Dimitroff (I got his name wrong above) was Schwartz's housemate in Cleveland. He interviewed him when they hired Smith back in 2008, and since that point Schwartz has had some experience as a HC then excelled again as a DC. I can't imagine that if Dimitroff survives (he might not - they might clean house) they don't at least interview Schwartz again.

well he looked in over his head as HC, made bonehead decisions, blew late leads, and lost his composure. I figure a "peter principle" kind of thing where DC was determined to be his best spot might be his label. But hey memories die fast when teams are desperate and talent pool is thin, and he's certainly looked the part this year ... in some ways, more than Marrone

Edited by JTSP

well he looked in over his head as HC, made bonehead decisions, blew late leads, and lost his composure. I figure a "peter principle" kind of thing where DC was determined to be his best spot might be his label. But hey memories die fast when teams are desperate and talent pool is thin, and he's certainly looked the part this year ... in some ways, more than Marrone

He also in 3 years took an 0-16 squad to the playoffs. Years 4 and 5 were a mess but before that he didn't do half bad. And as you say - it is a weak candidate pool this year.

Add Gus Bradley (Jax) to the list

I'm not sure about Trestman and Smith. On the hot seat definitely but probably gonna stick around another year

Couglin, the Giants would be insane to fire. I think they give him another year with the understanding that he announces his retirement next season

I doubt Tennessee fires Wisenhunt after just one season

Dan the Fan is going to have to decide between his coach (Jay Gruden) and his QB (RGIII). One will be back, the other will not

I think it's a wise move....Coughlin's track record there speaks for itself. I think the lack of a quality RB, mostly due to the injuring of Jennings have really hurt that offense. Eli is so much better when he has a decent run game around him....and they were not getting that at all with Jennings banged up. Andre Williams stinks, IMO. You might be right about Whisenhunt, but its just delaying the inevitable IMO. The way that team tried to build it's team, ala signing and drafting OG's like crazy, just makes no sense, which is more of an indictment on their GM.

Also, there O-line has been a disaster this year. Been watching there games living downstate and when Eli has time he can still huck it.

Add Gus Bradley (Jax) to the list

I'm not sure about Trestman and Smith. On the hot seat definitely but probably gonna stick around another year

Couglin, the Giants would be insane to fire. I think they give him another year with the understanding that he announces his retirement next season

I doubt Tennessee fires Wisenhunt after just one season

Dan the Fan is going to have to decide between his coach (Jay Gruden) and his QB (RGIII). One will be back, the other will not

Even though the record is bad the consensus (at least in media) is that Bradley has them headed in the right direction. Their key is bortles development and IMO they wouldn't want to upset that with a new coach and system for his second year.

Also think gruden is quite safe in DC .... all things considered he's gotten the most out of what they have. There's a scenario where RG3 stays too. If Snyder thinks the more disciplinary approach of gruden is working better than coddling him, why not keep both? Snyder more than anything just wants to salvage RG3 and shouldn't care how it's done. Most likely the more important determinant on RG3's status is who they think they can draft at QB in round 1. If by some chance it's Mariota or Winston, I can see them moving on from RG3 (trade for 4th or 5th) and gruden looking forward to a fresh start with his own QB

Edited by JTSP

I've said all year I think Jim Schwartz will be high up Atlanta's list (especially if Dierdoff survives as GM) and Hue Jackson will get interviews too...

I was going to post this exact proposition, but then i decided to read the whole thread first.

I see The Shwartz to Atlanta because he needs a team with an offense and QB in place. So he can just focus on the D. And the division is fairly win-able.

A year ago, many here were commenting how good Bradley was looking as a coach and how bad Marrone was thoug hmany here would still argue for the latter. Still LOLat the change in opinion on Bradley

Gus Bradley should be fired

Amazed at how long he's already lasted, but helps alot when playing for a cheap owner whom doesn't like eating contracts.

Mike Smith- Atlanta at 5-9 they are only one game out of first place with two games to go, with wins over NO & Carolina they are the division winners! Maybe!

Joe Philbin- Miami currently 7-7 with upcoming games against Minn & NY Jets, and could finish 9-7, ownership wants a playoff team to fill the stadium-GONE!

Marc Trestman- Chicago currently 5-9, and I don't see 7-9 saving him when they fired Lovie Smith at 10-6-GONE!

Rex Ryan- NY Jets- currently 3-11, and a 5-11 won't save him. The strange thing is the owner loves him, and may fire just the GM instead! Maybe!

Gus Bradly - Jacksonville currently 2-12, and 4-12 might not save him with a 6-24 record. He did inherit a mess, and started a rookie QB. The team is desperate to sell season tickets-GONE!

Tom Coughlin - NY Giants currently 5-9, and 7-9 who knows. The owners here might let him decide what he wants to do. Maybe!

Jim Harbough - San Francisco currently 7-7, and 9-7 won't save him as he is at great odds with the current GM Trent Baalke. GONE!

Ron Rivera - Carolina currently 5-9, and one game out of first place. two wins against Cleveland and Atlanta might give him the nod. still 3 of 4 years of losing seasons-Maybe!

Ken Whisenhunt - Tennessee current 2-12 and in his first year as HC-Maybe!

Jay Gruden - Washington currently 3-11, and is the most volatile situation as HC. He wants the QB gone, and the owner & GM want him gone- GONE!

Tony Sparano- Oakland the Raiders want Harbaugh and should he want to accommodate them then Tony is history, remains to be seen tho- Maybe!

​There could possibly be more HCs on the hot seat after the next two games, who knows.

Cleveland might not see 7-9 as a good thing, or even 9-7. The volatile owner has changed GM & HC every year the last two years.

Edited by FeartheLosing