Game Ball: Doug Whaley

Alphadawg7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really love what whaley's brought to the table in terms of defensive evaluation (which, i believe, was his background/specialty). still, its a little hard to watch odell beckham jr look like michael f*cking jordan out there while we chill without a 2015 first round pick.

all-around though, i wouldn't dare fire whaley after the great job he's done. he's a QB away from putting together a super-bowl roster, and he deserves his kudos.

Edited by johnwalter

Without seeing the replies, I cannot believe that is a majority view. I think he's been flat out terrible in the major decisions he's had to make. I would love to see him and Marrone both gone after this year. We'll never get even with the Patriots with these two guiding the ship.

Well you should read the replies as you're the only who feels that way. Anyone who thinks Whaley should be gone must be drunk. He's added a ton of talent in two years and this team is a QB away from being a serious title threat. He's the best thing to happen to the Bills Front Office since Polian left.

No game balls for the GM till you at least make the playoffs. Whaley would agree with that also... Remember he promised playoffs this year.

Going 8-6 with an offensive combo of Orton/ Hackett speaks to how talented the Bills are.

Whaley would be picked up in a second if we were dumb enough to let him go.

Going 8-6 with an offensive combo of Orton/ Hackett speaks to how talented the Bills are.

Whaley would be picked up in a second if we were dumb enough to let him go.

to be fair (and i like whaley), the qb position is his responsibility, just like all the others.

Well you should read the replies as you're the only who feels that way. Anyone who thinks Whaley should be gone must be drunk. He's added a ton of talent in two years and this team is a QB away from being a serious title threat. He's the best thing to happen to the Bills Front Office since Polian left.

Right ! WTF is the point of posting if you have not read the yeas and nays.

We have some very insightful MFs here and there is something to be learned each time i read on a subject of interest.

always read . its due diligence

to be fair (and i like whaley), the qb position is his responsibility, just like all the others.

To be fair, its nearly impossible to, if not impossible, to fill every hole a team has in 2 years when the team had as many holes as we did when he took over. To focus on the QB position only completely over looks the massive improvement to the overall roster he has made.

And to be further fair, a promising rookie QB was added in EJ (and doesn't matter what everyones position on EJ is, he still has potential and only 14 starts) and for insurance he went out and got a veteran QB in Orton who at the time was probably the best available QB (he sucks, but still he was probably the best of what was out there). He hasn't had a lot of better choices than those the last 2 years, so he can only work with whats available.

At the risk of sounding like homerism, I would say you would be hard pressed to find a GM in football who has done a better job and impacted his respected team as much as Whaley has.

Whaley is great at finding hidden gems, but swings big and misses on the top picks. Overpaid for Sammy, overpaid and busted on EJ, and let's not even discuss Cyrus Kouandjio. I'd say Whaley's evaluation is still mixed.

Overpaid for Sammy? Yes you can make that argument right now and it may be true. I have a feeling you will be eating those words 2 or 3 years from now.

Overpaid and busted on EJ? - Remember the circumstances leading up to the draft. The Bills were going to take a QB. They had to. The fanbase was revolting. They weren't going into the season with Kolb and nobody. Whaley and crew made an evaluation that EJ was the best QB in that draft and so far that has proven to be a pretty good evaluation whether you like EJ or not. I don't blame them at all for taking EJ regardless of whether he eventually works out or not. Look what the Jets ended up getting stuck with. Now that is a bust.

And it seems like Whaley is an exceptionally good judge of free agent talent. Look at all the outstanding free agents he has brought in here. Whaley should be the envy of the team owners in this league right now.

Overpaid for Sammy? Yes you can make that argument right now and it may be true. I have a feeling you will be eating those words 2 or 3 years from now.

Overpaid and busted on EJ? - Remember the circumstances leading up to the draft. The Bills were going to take a QB. They had to. The fanbase was revolting. They weren't going into the season with Kolb and nobody. Whaley and crew made an evaluation that EJ was the best QB in that draft and so far that has proven to be a pretty good evaluation whether you like EJ or not. I don't blame them at all for taking EJ regardless of whether he eventually works out or not. Look what the Jets ended up getting stuck with. Now that is a bust.

And it seems like Whaley is an exceptionally good judge of free agent talent. Look at all the outstanding free agents he has brought in here. Whaley should be the envy of the team owners in this league right now.

Exactly, people seem to think over the last 2 years there have been a bunch of Andrew Lucks or Drew Brees like QBs available.

In fact, they should name one...any...QB that has been drafted in the last 2 years who has had a better start than EJ. They can't...in fact, everyone has either played worse, lost their job, or never even gotten a chance to play yet. Let that sink in for a moment...EJ has been the most successful QB out of the draft over the last 2 years. So for people to sit back and slam Whaley because he hasn't found the next Andrew Luck yet, well the reality check is there hasn't been a single QB in the last 2 years to even be that guy yet, and of all the guys taken Whaley took the one who has had the most success so far.

And when he took EJ, he traded down for a bounty with the Rams that also netted us Kiko Alonso in a brilliant move. On top of that, he snagged what was deemed the best FA vet QB on the market at the time in Orton. Yes Orton sucks, but he still got the best of what was available.

So, what else could he have done at QB...its not like Manning, Brady, Brees, etc were available for trade and he passed. Its not like he passed on the next Andrew Luck in the draft. So I don't get why he gets as much flack as he does about the QB position...he can't add whats not there.

In the mean time, while the QB pool was nearly dry, he went out and build a hell of a roster where guys were available in the draft and free agency.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Exactly, people seem to think over the last 2 years there have been a bunch of Andrew Lucks or Drew Brees like QBs available.

In fact, they should name one...any...QB that has been drafted in the last 2 years who has had a better start than EJ. They can't...in fact, everyone has either played worse, lost their job, or never even gotten a chance to play yet. Let that sink in for a moment...EJ has been the most successful QB out of the draft over the last 2 years. So for people to sit back and slam Whaley because he hasn't found the next Andrew Luck yet, well the reality check is there hasn't been a single QB in the last 2 years to even be that guy yet, and of all the guys taken Whaley took the one who has had the most success so far.

And when he took EJ, he traded down for a bounty with the Rams that also netted us Kiko Alonso in a brilliant move. On top of that, he snagged what was deemed the best FA vet QB on the market at the time in Orton. Yes Orton sucks, but he still got the best of what was available.

So, what else could he have done at QB...its not like Manning, Brady, Brees, etc were available for trade and he passed. Its not like he passed on the next Andrew Luck in the draft. So I don't get why he gets as much flack as he does about the QB position...he can't add whats not there.

In the mean time, while the QB pool was nearly dry, he went out and build a hell of a roster where guys were available in the draft and free agency.

Not only that, but needing a QB, the Bills, whether it was Whaley or Nix or a combination of them, traded down, got the guy they wanted, EJ (who they knew and admitted was raw) AND Kiko Alonzo for their #1 pick. It's a homerun without EJ.

Not only that, but needing a QB, the Bills, whether it was Whaley or Nix or a combination of them, traded down, got the guy they wanted, EJ (who they knew and admitted was raw) AND Kiko Alonzo for their #1 pick. It's a homerun without EJ.

Yes.

Another thing to consider too is what would the fans be saying right now if Whaley had not taken a qb in the first round in that draft? I can guess what would be happening. I think fans would be blaming Whaley for not taking a shot at a quarterback (any quarterback). They would say it is his fault this offense sucks so bad. No one can say that Whaley hasn't tried to get a servicable qb for this team. In fact, he has gone over, above and beyond trying to do so. Look how many qb's have come through here in 2 years. They are trying their damnedest to find any qb who can get it done. Right now they have kept the 2 guys that look like they might, maybe, barely get the job done (Orton & EJ). Those two guys aren't great, but they are the best of what has been here and probably close to the best of what has been available out there anywhere.

Maybe they could have tried to grab some other scrap qb that has been discarded from some other team, like Orton was, but what is the chance that some other retread would be any better than what we have seen. The truth is that we could have gotten worse than we have right now.

Whaley knows his job and is damn good at it. Dude deserves a gameball every friggin time Huhges gets a sack, Booby blocks a punt, Rambo gets a pick or Thigpen returns a punt for a touchdown. Think about that.

Whaley is great at finding hidden gems, but swings big and misses on the top picks. Overpaid for Sammy, overpaid and busted on EJ, and let's not even discuss Cyrus Kouandjio. I'd say Whaley's evaluation is still mixed.

How did he overpay for EJ? He traded down and got EJ. True there are debates if EJ was worth pick #16 but look at the guys who were drafted after EJ in the 1st Round of that draft and tell me which would be a better pick? The only one I feel is was OG Kyle Long but when he was drafted he was thought as a reach pick too. In terms of Cyrus he was a risk/reward pick based on his knee. Who knows maybe it's still bothering him and it might recover next year. In terms of Whaley being mixed it is but I think he's done a lot to shore up where previous GMs have failed us. As usually most drafts we can only say this guy made this draft with Whaley it's been these guys (Ie we're getting contributions from more than one pick). I mean prior to Henderson's this year the last 7th Rounder we got a contribution from was SJ13 who was drafted six years ago.

To me the other "good thing" about EJ is he's shown that he was the best QB of his draft class which means that our scouts might not be as bad as they've been in the past.

Edited by The Jokeman

Of the potentially available QB's so far this year, I think we should get Sanchez. There might be others that I'm not aware of at the moment. Which QB do you think Whaley should go after?

I think Sanchez will re-sign for Philly long term. Of the Uhat are out there I think the best one suited for the Bills if Orton doesn't return is Christian Ponder, for his doubters look back on his 2nd year. If Orton stays then I say bring in TJ Yates or a mid round draft pick.

Edited by The Jokeman

What does that have to do with a game ball?

He built a team with so much talent than overcome an awful offense and beat Aaron Rodgers.

Of the potentially available QB's so far this year, I think we should get Sanchez. There might be others that I'm not aware of at the moment. Which QB do you think Whaley should go after?

Unlike most fans, Whaley hasnt given up EJ after 14 starts.

It's funny that if Philly drafted Manuel, fans would think of him as a good young qb. Instead he is part of system where every qb looks bad.

I think Sanchez will re-sign for Philly long term. Of the Uhat are out there I think the best one suited for the Bills if Orton doesn't return is Christian Ponder, for his doubters look back on his 2nd year. If Orton stays then I say bring in TJ Yates or a mid round draft pick.

These are better option than Manuel????

To be fair, its nearly impossible to, if not impossible, to fill every hole a team has in 2 years when the team had as many holes as we did when he took over. To focus on the QB position only completely over looks the massive improvement to the overall roster he has made.

And to be further fair, a promising rookie QB was added in EJ (and doesn't matter what everyones position on EJ is, he still has potential and only 14 starts) and for insurance he went out and got a veteran QB in Orton who at the time was probably the best available QB (he sucks, but still he was probably the best of what was out there). He hasn't had a lot of better choices than those the last 2 years, so he can only work with whats available.

At the risk of sounding like homerism, I would say you would be hard pressed to find a GM in football who has done a better job and impacted his respected team as much as Whaley has.

Great post.

These are better option than Manuel????

I think these are guys you can supplement with Manuel and hope that one of them develops into the game manager we need. It's called low risk approach which I think is the wise thing to do so long as we add an OG next year and hopefully sign an UFA TE like Cameron, J Thomas or Gresham.

I think these are guys you can supplement with Manuel and hope that one of them develops into the game manager we need. It's called low risk approach which I think is the wise thing to do so long as we add an OG next year and hopefully sign an UFA TE like Cameron, J Thomas or Gresham.

Fair points. I love the TE idea and I believe Whaley does too. I would love to have an elite TE. Have we ever?