Ray Rice Wins His Appeal; Immediately Eligible to Play

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, so now the commish can go about focusing on covering up the Jerry Jones fiasco.

The commish has been a joke for a long time now. The league, a moral and ethical embarrassment. But it won't matter 1 iota; Us fans have a very short memory. So, people will still flock to watch overpriced games that makes available watered down and lousy beer. Fans will still pay crazy amounts of money to be able to watch their teams on TV. People will continue to buy over-priced jersey's of their fav players and they'll clamour together with fellow NFL fans at tailgating and in home parties using the products that put $ billions into the pockets f the league.

In the end it really doesn't matter what the league does, or doesn't do, on such matters.

The ruling is an indictment not only on Goodell's judgment but on his veracity. There was nothing new learned about Rice's situation from his first sentencing to his more sever second sentencing that justified the major increase in punishment.

The problem with the current NFL disciplinary system is that there is no system. It is a one man muscle show by the commissioner who hears the case, rules on the case and then rules on the appeal. There needs to be a disciplinary panel made up of representatives of management and the players. Also, the disciplinary policy needs to be clearly stated so that when there is a transgression the punishment meted out is not necessarily agreed by the parties but at the minimun is understood by the parties. As it stands there is too much arbitrariness and capriouslness involved with this current fraudulent process.

The NHL has an office that handles on ice disciplinary action. After any issuance of punishment there is a detailed explanation of not only what the transgression was but also the level of transgression.

I used to be an ardent supporter of Goodell and the job he was doing. Now I consider him to be a self-serving craven hack who prostrates himself to the desires of the owners at the expense of fairness to the players. The re-visiting of the Rice punishment had little to do with Rice and it had to do with salvaging his own reputation due to his original stupid judment.

Well, that is his job description.

If he is guilty, it is for bowing to public pressure. That is all he did--he changed Rice's suspension from the standard 2 games to 6 to indefinite only after a video showed what we all alreadyknew----because the public demanded that he do so. Now he's being pilloried for bowing to public pressure (and what many here were scremaing for).

He won't be fired. No one cares anyomore. The owners will now sit back and watch this pariah look for work.

in that last decade many nfl players were convicted of domestic incidents and the max penalty served was 3 games. a fellow raven has the following 2 incidents on his record: threw a soap dispenser at her head, struck her in the chest with his hand and held a bottle of bleach over her and their 1 year old son AND THEN 3 YEARS LATER was accused of punching and dragging his girlfriend beside his car with his two children inside -- resulting in him having to turn in 7 guns including an AK 47. he is active this week.

what would the video of this look like: "held me down on the floor and poured bleach on me and our son, held me down on the floor and kicked my face and broke my nose. Throughout our relationship since early 2007, he has punched me in the face and stomach and threatened to take the children from me if I left him. He stole my ID so I could not leave."

im not saying what he did was ok, but given the nfls history - even very recent history with current players - it seems a bit weird to draw the line here. if im picking a raven to call it its terrell suggs 10 times out of 10. and thats ignoring ray lewis.

As usual, NoSaint is spot on. No one cared about Suggs trangressions or the penalty he got or didn't get. Lot's of hypocrites here.

Ah, so now the commish can go about focusing on covering up the Jerry Jones fiasco.

The commish has been a joke for a long time now. The league, a moral and ethical embarrassment. But it won't matter 1 iota; Us fans have a very short memory. So, people will still flock to watch overpriced games that makes available watered down and lousy beer. Fans will still pay crazy amounts of money to be able to watch their teams on TV. People will continue to buy over-priced jersey's of their fav players and they'll clamour together with fellow NFL fans at tailgating and in home parties using the products that put $ billions into the pockets f the league.

In the end it really doesn't matter what the league does, or doesn't do, on such matters.

It matters not one iota because the league is not about social engineering, it is about providing high quality entertainment that a fan of a local team can watch for not one penny more than their neighboring cable subscribers who never watch the game. In fact, you can watch for free without cable if you have rabbit ears/convertor.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I must have missed the jail time that he served, that many normal people would face in this situation.

And if the Bills' PR department really wants to field this one, it'll make dealing with the Jills' hygiene questions look like a walk in the park.

Not only is Rice not that good anymore, he would be pretty bad for business.

You missed a lot.

I definitely missed the legitimate reason for which a guy who assaulted someone and was caught on camera got a pre-trial intervention deal, one that 1% of all DV cases in New Jersey result in.

Care to explain what I'm missing?

I don't know enough about Jersey's JDR court to speak to that specific program. I doubt you do either, but what's your point? He got the penalty the justice system gave him. In addition to that he's been publicly shamed, suspended, fired, and lost millions of dollars. I'd say he's gotten his.

What's interesting to me is why you care so much.

I definitely missed the legitimate reason for which a guy who assaulted someone and was caught on camera got a pre-trial intervention deal, one that 1% of all DV cases in New Jersey result in.

Care to explain what I'm missing?

What does the failure of the American legal system have to do with the NFL? Are you focusing your ire at the wrong target?

If he is guilty, it is for bowing to public pressure. That is all he did--he changed Rice's suspension from the standard 2 games to 6 to indefinite only after a video showed what we all alreadyknew----because the public demanded that he do so. Now he's being pilloried for bowing to public pressure (and what many here were scremaing for).

He won't be fired. No one cares anyomore. The owners will now sit back and watch this pariah look for work.

The commissioner changed his punishment based on a bald face lie. He stated that his original sentencing was based on testimoney that was incomplete and that his more severe re-sentencing was based on the fact the Rice was not forthcoming in all the details. That is simply not true. The commissioner changed his punishment due to public pressure and not because what he originally learned from Rice was anything different later on.

It doesn't matter what others think or what the public's attitude is in this matter. The process in which Rice was punished was tainted because the commissioner who had the unfettered authority to make a ruling blatantly lied. The issue isn't about a thug and his mongrel behavior; the issue is about the person who sits atop the multi-billion $$$$ institution is unethical. The process being corrupt, and not the reprobate involved in the elevator incident, is the central issue here.

There is no doubt that the commissioner is not going to be fired because the business is still making an extraoridinary amount of money for the owners. But that doesn't change the fact that Goodell is fully exposed as a liar and a person who lacks integrity.

I challenge you to find any clause in his job description that allows him to lie and act without integrity.

Edited by JohnC

He did something awful and worthy of never being able to play again. But it is way too soon to say he's washed up. He had one down year in 2013 but was great in just about every year he's been in the league before that. He's only 27, plenty of good years ahead if someone is willing to give him a second chance.

He did something awful and worthy of never being able to play again. But it is way too soon to say he's washed up. He had one down year in 2013 but was great in just about every year he's been in the league before that. He's only 27, plenty of good years ahead if someone is willing to give him a second chance.

Seems a bit of an overreaction.

Right now Bellicheat is fumbling for his phone

CBF

Goddamn right. Whaley shoulda had Rice on speed-dial.

Can he play? yes.

Will he cost a lot? No.

Will he be humble? YouBetcha

Will he play again in NFL? Fo sho, so let it be us.

And remember, he has a year less on his tread, but also has rested and healed up. And might just have a little something to prove.

Please git 'er done.

He did something awful and worthy of never being able to play again.

No. No way. He did what dozens of other sports athletes have done.

And he got caught, just like dozens of other sports athletes. The video didnt show anything new.

Goddamn right. Whaley shoulda had Rice on speed-dial.

Can he play? yes.

Will he cost a lot? No.

Will he be humble? YouBetcha

Will he play again in NFL? Fo sho, so let it be us.

And remember, he has a year less on his tread, but also has rested and healed up. And might just have a little something to prove.

Please git 'er done.

No. No way. He did what dozens of other sports athletes have done.

And he got caught, just like dozens of other sports athletes. The video didnt show anything new.

The more I think about it the more your post makes sense. I would be OK with it. Only problem is the short term goodwill killing the organization would take. One 100 yard game and its all but forgotten though.

What does the failure of the American legal system have to do with the NFL? Are you focusing your ire at the wrong target?

Well, for one, the argument is being put forth that he has paid his dues (I feel he skated by and I think the optics of a very selective pre-trial intervention for a star athlete are suspect at best). For two, I don't want him on the Bills. Look, if it's ok for people to not want Mike Vick on the team for his crimes, it's ok for me to hold this opinion. You don't have to like it any more than I have to appreciate the need for a few people to be contrarian on all matters no matter how ludicrous.

If these are the kinds of guys you want on the Bills, be my guest. If you don't think they'd face a big PR problem were they to bring him on, I'll be happy to make that bet. OJ also ended up having the law on his side but you can guarantee that neither the league nor the Bills would be going out of their way to showcase him after what happened. It would have been financial suicide. Obviously the magnitudes of the crimes are far different, but the risks are similar for any billion dollar business that deals in public perception. I hope Rice never hits another woman again and pulls his life together, and does good in the world. But I refuse to be ridiculed for not wanting him as a representative of Buffalo or the Bills.