Read this article...especially you have kids

plenzmd1

It seems Rolling Stone has been caught too many times sensationalizing stories, i can't believe they have any credibility outside of music, and even that is questionable

Looks like that fraternity might be in line for a brand new beer pong table after they fleece RS magazine for slander.

Edited by The Poojer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this this week and am I the only who find this whole story to strain credulity?

A seemingly normal guy takes her to a party and then asks if she wants to go somewhere quieter.

Now, climbing the frat-house stairs with Drew, Jackie felt excited.

Excited for what? They don't say. She wants to get laid this quick and this easy?

Then, it turns into a totally brutal gang rape straight from a war zone.

She doesn't report it to anybody, because her friends don't want to not be cool.

And, then this (Drew being the pseudonym for her "date"):

Two weeks after Jackie's rape, she ran into Drew during her lifeguard shift at the UVA pool. "Hey, Jackie," Drew said, startling her. "Are you ignoring me?" She'd switched her shift in the hopes of never seeing him again. Since the Phi Kappa Psi party, she'd barely left her dorm room, fearful of glimpsing one of her attackers. Jackie stared at Drew, unable to speak. "I wanted to thank you for the other night," Drew said. "I had a great time."

What?!? I have such a hard time believing that!!

Ummm What?

Did you not get the point of the article was the atmosphere of intimidation and institutional denial that exists at UVA? She's obviously traumatized and has received some bad advice. She should have gone to the police that night.

That What

It seems Rolling Stone has been caught too many times sensationalizing stories, i can't believe they have any credibility outside of music, and even that is questionable

And in a case like this, it's particularly unfortunate, because due to their self-serving efforts, they make it THAT much harder for sexually abused campus women to tell their story with any credibility.

But hey...it's Rolling Stone. They can do what they want and their readers will ALWAYS come back for more.

And in a case like this, it's particularly unfortunate, because due to their self-serving efforts, they make it THAT much harder for sexually abused campus women to tell their story with any credibility.

That's what really pisses me off. I have no doubt that rape is a problem on most (if not all) co-ed college campuses...but it's that much harder to address it when people and organizations sensationalize accusations. Or, worse, falsify accusations.

Or worse...believing that a false accusation is just as valid as a true one, such as in Lena Dunham's Oberlin case...

"Asking whether or not a victim is telling the truth is irrelevant," Ms. Hess proclaimed. "It's just not important if they are telling the truth."

About two-thirds the way down. I have no idea if Dunham's accusation is true or not, but Hess's attitude does more damage to attempts to address sexual assult on college campuses than almost anything else I can think of.

That's what really pisses me off. I have no doubt that rape is a problem on most (if not all) co-ed college campuses...but it's that much harder to address it when people and organizations sensationalize accusations. Or, worse, falsify accusations.

Or worse...believing that a false accusation is just as valid as a true one, such as in Lena Dunham's Oberlin case...

I read neither Dunham's book nor the Rolling Stone piece, and only learned about their lack of credibility via Twitter. The RS thing is so bad right now you have a bunch of people apologizing for just promoting the story. Interestingly, it blew up on the author after she was interviewed by (I think NPR) and while being pressed about whether she talked to any of the attackers, she ultimately explained that she just based everything on the fact that she found the victim's story credible.

Once that audio started making the rounds, you had a bunch of prominent journalists complaining that even if the article WAS true, the fact that the author never bothered to get the other side AT ALL was in such bad form that they all expect her to soon be left doing nothing more than editing obits for the Lower Macungie Telegraph and News.

I read neither Dunham's book nor the Rolling Stone piece, and only learned about their lack of credibility via Twitter. The RS thing is so bad right now you have a bunch of people apologizing for just promoting the story. Interestingly, it blew up on the author after she was interviewed by (I think NPR) and while being pressed about whether she talked to any of the attackers, she ultimately explained that she just based everything on the fact that she found the victim's story credible.

Once that audio started making the rounds, you had a bunch of prominent journalists complaining that even if the article WAS true, the fact that the author never bothered to get the other side AT ALL was in such bad form that they all expect her to soon be left doing nothing more than editing obits for the Lower Macungie Telegraph and News.

Well, the problem there was people assuming that writing for Rolling Stone is the same as reporting.

Well, the problem there was people assuming that writing for Rolling Stone is the same as reporting.

These are the same people assuming that Jon Stewart is reporting the news. You can easily spot them as they're all usually wearing their Matt Taibbi fanboy bracelets.

Another one

Important to note: I do not for one moment believe that most rape reports are inaccurate at all. Unfortunately it seems that certain topics become "hot topics" as if it were some sort of cycle. Parts of the press jump on these hot topics and stuff like this happens. It's almost like they agree to focus on one topic and then fight each other to get the best story on that topic. I don't know. It's weird.

Anyway, it can't help but take away from real victims past,present and future. Aren't these the people they are trying to help? Or do they care more about destroying people they don't like than helping victims? Individuals like Kobe and Rothlisberger have the outcry die down and their victims are cast as gold diggers. Groups of nameless stereotypes like "frat boys" and "campus republicans" are reminded that the charges are so important that a writer/editor need not check the truth.

All in all it is a pretty sad state of affairs and I don't see where it helps the very real victims out there at all.

Edit: Didn't see Lena Dumbham's book stuff had already been mentioned.

Edited by 4merper4mer

You're giving Lower Macungie too much credit. No newspapers there.

I must have had it confused with the Farmer's Market Newsletter.

Isn't that how you got your start outside of aboro?

Marion, NC.

Pretty much Lower Macungie, but with fish fries and hush puppies.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out women rape men just as much as men rape women:

And now the real surprise: when asked about experiences in the last 12 months, men reported being “made to penetrate”—either by physical force or due to intoxication—at virtually the same rates as women reported rape (both 1.1 percent in 2010, and 1.7 and 1.6 respectively in 2011).

In other words, if being made to penetrate someone was counted as rape—and why shouldn’t it be?—then the headlines could have focused on a truly sensational CDC finding: that women rape men as often as men rape women.

http://time.com/3393442/cdc-rape-numbers/