The Willing Abdication of My Happiness

I'm part Buddhist and part Stoic and try not to allow people or circumstance affect my thoughts or emotions. Come wintry cold or stormy wind, I typically maintain my equanimity.

The one exception I make is the for the Buffalo Bills. Each week during the Fall, I willingly put my mood into their hands. And when we lose, I curse & moan and I'm freaking miserable for the rest of the day!

Why do I do this to myself? Why do any of us?

P.S. I'm making peace with the idea that the Bills won't make the playoffs this year because they don't deserve to play in the postseason. In this matter, the Football Gods are eminently fair.

I was able to let go well over 15 years ago. My mood was a direct reflection of the Bills game that Sunday. When they lost, I wouldn't speak to people, I refused to turn to ESPN, watch any NFL highlight shows, the works. I remember once hanging up on a girl I was dating back in 2003 because she couldn't understand how I could let a football team ruin my mood. I didn't speak to my college roommate in 99 for two weeks because he laughed during the Music City Miracle kick return.

I've become numb to Bills losses now. I at times even am able to find humor in some losses, when Buffalo finds a whole new amazing way to lose a game.

Today was no different. I'm just kinda numb. A little ticked at the suspect officiating(whoever it was in the gameday thread who said Walt Coleman hates the Bills might really be on to something), but just still overall numb and non-chalant.

No playoffs 15 years now....

I was able to let go well over 15 years ago. My mood was a direct reflection of the Bills game that Sunday. When they lost, I wouldn't speak to people, I refused to turn to ESPN, watch any NFL highlight shows, the works. I remember once hanging up on a girl I was dating back in 2003 because she couldn't understand how I could let a football team ruin my mood. I didn't speak to my college roommate in 99 for two weeks because he laughed during the Music City Miracle kick return.

I've become numb to Bills losses now. I at times even am able to find humor in some losses, when Buffalo finds a whole new amazing way to lose a game.

Today was no different. I'm just kinda numb. A little ticked at the suspect officiating(whoever it was in the gameday thread who said Walt Coleman hates the Bills might really be on to something), but just still overall numb and non-chalant.

My roommate was joking around and saying things like 'go dolphins, squish the bills' all day and into the game, and he's not a football fan, just trying to rile me up, but i have not spoken a word and will not for quite some time

Best thread ever. Great sentiments Hondo. I've run the gamut of emotions since my dad started to take me to games at the rockpile. Now I just expect the worst and walk away able to accept the outcome. It just sucks for the wonderfully rabid Buffalo fans to suffer so much for so long with respect to both teams.

Edited by DGW54321

I'm part Buddhist and part Stoic and try not to allow people or circumstance affect my thoughts or emotions. Come wintry cold or stormy wind, I typically maintain my equanimity.

The one exception I make is the for the Buffalo Bills. Each week during the Fall, I willingly put my mood into their hands. And when we lose, I curse & moan and I'm freaking miserable for the rest of the day!

Why do I do this to myself? Why do any of us?

P.S. I'm making peace with the idea that the Bills won't make the playoffs this year because they don't deserve to play in the postseason. In this matter, the Football Gods are eminently fair.

Is it possible that the reason you decided to start following the teachings of the fat man or become a stoic is because of your infatuation with the Bills? Maybe they are your way of dealing with your addiction?

I had to leave the room in the 4th quarter because my daughter found it funny that "they will always find a way to lose"........

Is it possible that the reason you decided to start following the teachings of the fat man or become a stoic is because of your infatuation with the Bills? Maybe they are your way of dealing with your addiction?

We must all find some way to cope.

Yes, 15 years now with no playoffs.

For the first time in ~17 years, I do not have Sunday Ticket because I lost my job.

I watch a lot of Bills games with a rabid Bills fan in his man-cave. He jumps up and swears, curses individual players, really gets emotional.

I still B word a little, but am fairly stoic when the wheels start coming off the Bills gameday machine.

I feel a kind of numbness when another season goes down the tubes. At least this year, they survived until mid-November before they sh&% the bed.

You might be on to something. They do say people turn to the consolation of religion and philosophy when experiencing the 'long dark night of the soul.'

My long dark night has been going on for 14 seasons.

I turned the game off after the Dolphins went up 19-9. I knew it was over at that point.

I stopped letting loses bother me years ago. I have a gorgeous wife and daughter who don't deserve moody Wayne Cubed because something that is considered entertainment upset me.

All my daughter has to do is giggle or smile and a smile quickly returns to my face.

My hopes were dashed and I was really upset after the NE game. Thought was if we aren't good enough to beat them at home, we really don't deserve to be thinking playoffs. After that, the KC loss really proved to me it was over - letting must win games that we control turn into implausible losses gave me the deja-vu "here we blow again" feeling. Last nights game was a perfect microcosm of the last 14 years. Nobody circles the wagons like the Bills, until they find a way to let the wheels fall off. Well at least I get my Sunday's back again - no more sulking for me.

I'm making peace with the idea that they won't make the playoffs in my lifetime.

I turned the game off after the Dolphins went up 19-9. I knew it was over at that point.

I stopped letting loses bother me years ago. I have a gorgeous wife and daughter who don't deserve moody Wayne Cubed because something that is considered entertainment upset me.

All my daughter has to do is giggle or smile and a smile quickly returns to my face.

:thumbsup: sanest post i've seen in a while - including my own! cherish that kid as long as you can.. all the best.