Alaskan Cruise

dib

My parents did it several years ago. Both my parents are 82 and my mom did not want to go at all. She ended up having a great time. They flew in to Vancouver then took the boat up the coast from there. They went in late August so it was rainy/chilly the closer they got to Alaska. Think it was 4 or 5 days on the boat, then another 4 or 5 in Alaska taking a train from Anchorage up towards Mt Denali where they stayed.

wife and I did it last year for our 25th anniversary. FWIW, we planned the trip using an experienced travel agent as there are just too many variables and decisions to make. We normally plan our own trips. I agree that www.cruisecritic.com is a good site. We settled on an 11 day land and sea cruise with the Princess Cruise line. We sailed in late May out of Vancouver on a 7 day northbound cruise. The ports were great and the excursions we chose were excellent for the most part. This was our first cruise of any kind and we enjoyed it but are not anxious to do another. Thought the food was just OK. The weather was fantastic, bright sunshine most days and pleasant temps, but that was pure luck. The 4 day land portion of the trip was great. Princess has their own rail line and lodges and they are very nice. Denali (the park and the mountain) were indescribably beautiful. Saw tons of wildlife which was a thrill. Flew home out of Anchorage which we found to be a nice city. The trip was very expensive but we were very happy we did it and consider it a once in a lifetime thing.

If you live on the East coast, do yourself a favor and allow a day at your departure port before joining the cruise. That allows you time to adjust to the 3 hour time difference, but more importantly allows for weather and Air Traffic delays crossing the USA.

Too many people roll into Seattle/Vancouver too late to get to their ship. If you miss the boat, you get to fly N to the first port, in some cases WAY N, all at your own expense.

If you live on the East coast, do yourself a favor and allow a day at your departure port before joining the cruise. That allows you time to adjust to the 3 hour time difference, but more importantly allows for weather and Air Traffic delays crossing the USA.

Too many people roll into Seattle/Vancouver too late to get to their ship. If you miss the boat, you get to fly N to the first port, in some cases WAY N, all at your own expense.

You are correct sir. Even if just cruising out of Miami,get there the day before.