[closed]Can Kyle Orton be the guy?

Man after watching last night's Bengals game, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly things change in the NFL at the QB position.There were always some questions around Dalton but man oh man I think last night may have been the final nail in that coffin.

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=127799

Dalton's start rivaled that of Geno Smith vs. the Bills 2 weeks ago. Dalton has a 7 year 97 MILLION dollar contract and won't become a free agent until 2021. Ouch. (I think $17m of that is guaranteed money).

John Clayton already answered this question on WGR yesterday. Orton is definitely a backup because he had a .500 record when he came to Buffalo. But he's the best backup in the NFL.

Also the Bills aren't making the playoffs because they have a backup QB starting. So we can stop debating the issue. The Great Gazoo has spoken.

John Clayton already answered this question on WGR yesterday. Orton is definitely a backup because he had a .500 record when he came to Buffalo. But he's the best backup in the NFL.

Also the Bills aren't making the playoffs because they have a backup QB starting. So we can stop debating the issue. The Great Gazoo has spoken.

/close thread

Dalton's start rivaled that of Geno Smith vs. the Bills 2 weeks ago. Dalton has a 7 year 97 MILLION dollar contract and won't become a free agent until 2021. Ouch. (I think $17m of that is guaranteed money).

the lesson here is.... DO NOT jump onto the Orton can win it all bandwagon too fast.

and if Orton wants out the Bills can pursue Brian Hoyer as the next stop gap

the lesson here is.... DO NOT jump onto the Orton can win it all bandwagon too fast.

there is no lesson to be learned there in regards to Orton as the situations are nothing alike . If anything it says that just because you draft them high and they start off well it does not mean they will get better . The bengals put a good running game and defense around Dalton and he has AJ green and he still cant play well enough for his team to win .

there is no lesson to be learned there in regards to Orton as the situations are nothing alike . If anything it says that just because you draft them high and they start off well it does not mean they will get better . The bengals put a good running game and defense around Dalton and he has AJ green and he still cant play well enough for his team to win .

the lesson is do not pay a QB $100 Mil if he hasn't delivered you at a minimum multiple in conference championships in a row.

the Bills are still being laughed at for paying Fitz what they did.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

the lesson is do not pay a QB $100 Mil if he hasn't delivered you at a minimum multiple in conference championships in a row.

well then you would not have a QB as they would simply walk be right back looking at Qbs

What the Bill did with Fitz is irrelevant as it is a different team and situation that it was 3 years ago .

On one hand you say teams like teh bengals should regret what they gave Dalton based a lot on what he did 3 years ago while at the same time suggesting e make moves based on something that also happened 3 years go .

You cant live in the past you should only be making moves based on what you feel is best forthe team now and moving forward not from the fear of something that happened 3 years ago .

Anyone laughing at the Bills are not being objective. He essentially was paid middling money to be a middling starter. The salary cap hit was worse than the money they paid Fitz. He basically played 4 year at 27 million dollars.

That said you do not give Orton anything until he helps change the teams fortunes.

By the same logic your would not pay Brees, Rogders, Rivers.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

This is an excellent strategy: preemptive dismissal.

Any quarterback the Bills draft or sign is bound to be flawed, deficient, or just short of the unicorn-like ideal franchise QB we all desire. So to avoid any potential heartbreak before it happens we simply cut or let walk every QB we sign or draft and move on, regardless of how they play. That way we will always be in the position of needing a QB when "the Chosen One" might arrive. It is written in scripture that the chosen one will arrive to deliver us to 72 Super Bowls. But this will only happen if you believe in the Chosen One. You believe, don't you?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Any quarterback the Bills draft or sign is bound to be flawed, deficient, or just short of the unicorn-like ideal franchise QB we all desire. So to avoid any potential heartbreak before it happens we simply cut or let walk every QB we sign or draft and move on, regardless of how they play. That way we will always be in the position of needing a QB when "the chosen one" might arrive. It is written in scripture that the chosen one will arrive to deliver us to 72 Super Bowls.

All in three years :thumbsup:

well then you would not have a QB as they would simply walk be right back looking at Qbs

What the Bill did with Fitz is irrelevant as it is a different team and situation that it was 3 years ago .

On one hand you say teams like teh bengals should regret what they gave Dalton based a lot on what he did 3 years ago while at the same time suggesting e make moves based on something that also happened 3 years go .

You cant live in the past you should only be making moves based on what you feel is best forthe team now and moving forward not from the fear of something that happened 3 years ago .

Possibly.

There are still people who believe EJ could succeed. Hoyer in Cleveland is a possibility with Johnny Futball in the wings.

Anyone laughing at the Bills are not being objective. He essentially was paid middling money to be a middling starter. The salary cap hit was worse than the money they paid Fitz. He basically played 4 year at 27 million dollars.

That said you do not give Orton anything until he helps change the teams fortunes.

By the same logic your would not pay Brees, Rogders, Rivers.

please refer to the Lost Money thread someone started. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/172710-bills-have-two-of-the-biggest-dead-money-players-of-2014/page__hl__%2Bdead+%2Bmoney

Any quarterback the Bills draft or sign is bound to be flawed, deficient, or just short of the unicorn-like ideal franchise QB we all desire.

that IS what you believe with EJ is it not?

You Orton is God lovers need to relax.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Possibly.

please refer to the Lost Money thread someone started. http://forums.twobil...l__+dead +money

If you read my post you would see that I stated the real problem with the contract was the salary cap issues. Not the actual money spent. And they could have mitigated that by keeping Fitz instead of taking on both Kolb and Orton.

If you read my post you would see that I stated the real problem with the contract was the salary cap issues. Not the actual money spent. And they could have mitigated that by keeping Fitz instead of taking on both Kolb and Orton.

And people read my posts incorrectly as well.

The Bills gave Fitz a big pay raise and contract extension then cut him within a year did they not? The Bills as I posted have $7 Mil in dead monies because of it. For $7 Mil you could sign a VERY GOOD O Lineman to protect the statue.

And people read my posts incorrectly as well.

The Bills gave Fitz a big pay raise and contract extension then cut him within a year did they not? The Bills as I posted have $7 Mil in dead monies because of it. For $7 Mil you could sign a VERY GOOD O Lineman to protect the statue.

I am not disagreeing with you. I stated over and over again in this and other threads that the issue was how they managed the Cap for that contract. You are intertwining the Cap and the Actual pay out. Those are different. He was payed as a starter ... which was the job he was performing.

Had they kept him on the team they would not have the Cap issues they do now. They would be paying him a lot for his value, but they would not have dead money plus extra monies and cap hits toward the QB position.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso