About J.P.

DreamOnDan

I heard Ben Roethlisberger (sp?) on ESPN radio earlier today. He said that he was taking a month off from football, and then was returning to Pittsburgh, and would spend a month with Dick Lebough (sp?), the Steelers DC, learning how to read defenses. I thought that was pretty interesting. It may go on all the time, but I had never heard of a QB meeting to that extent, with the teams' defensive coaches to help understand reading defenses better.

If there is an open competion Bledsoe will win.

225366[/snapback]

Except if Drew accepts the challange, it seems likely that not only will he have to outplay Losman, but also play better than himself over the last two years. I don't think the coaches would expect Losman to outright beat Bledsoe. He would just have to show that he has metally mastered the offense enough, not to embarass himself (and them). He will learn a lot more when the bullets start flying....

:D  :angry:  :angry:  :(

Yeah, is this the same "real NFL Insider" that thinks we'll be lucky to get anything for Travis Henry????

Do us all a favor and spare us from this idiots "inside" information. I have a feeling that he scouts for the Redskins, a team that has been the worst in the NFL at finding draft picks and productive free agents to help their team.

225188[/snapback]

You might want to wait and see how thisTravis thing plays out before you pat yourself on the back for being right, and scoff at VAB's info.

YOU may see Travis as this highly desired commodity. This is great, but we will soon see if any GMs want to give up a 2nd round pick, which was the cost for Dillon, and Faulk in his prime.

Compared to these two, Travis is a bag of sh--.

And from someone in football that I know, this is false.  They are concerned about his mental ability, physical stature, and ability to throw.  Not sure if was release, but from what the insider told me was the broken leg had an impact as he could not learn to throw and step properly and it was holding him back.  The inside info I have, and again it comes from a real NFL insider, there is doubts that Losman will ever make it onto the field as a starter.  Whether it is Bledsoe, Warner, Kita, or someone else, the inside info I have said the Bills are looking elsewhere because they doubt Jp's ability. 

But I guess we'll wait and see.

224656[/snapback]

Yeah, the doubts are so severe that they're asking Drew for a giveback. Should I turn on the sarcasm button? Who's your source...the waterboy?

Nobody is questioning his physical potential.  This league (esp. at QB) is rough on rookies who don't have a grasp of things mentally.  History tells us that it takes these guys longer than other key skill positions to learn.  There are exceptions to this rule but those are the lucky few who have been truly blessed.

It's going to take JP time to "get it".  A sound running game and great pass blocking will take him far but he needs those other intangibles to become truly special (read:  Big Ben). 

224605[/snapback]

It may take a while for JP to get "it".

Drew still can't make decisions after 11 years in the league.

Does anybody actually think that he needs to be "ready"?  First off what the heck is ready anyway?  To me, ready is...... Does he have 2 feet?, Can he throw the ball?  Is there anything going on under that Cali-surfer haircut of his?  Other than that what matters?  There is no doubt that he is going to make rookie mistakes.  Sitting on the sidelines isn't going to change that.  The fact of the matter is that J.P. cost the Bills a 1st, 2nd, and 5th rd pick.  THat is a lot!  That is the kind of price you pay for Jim Kelly.  The only way that J.P. doesn't start is if Bledsoe had a season better than ever, ever, that is right ever.  Even Drew Bledsoe in his prime wasn't worth a 1st, 2nd, and 5th.  I don't really know what is going on but I was just thinking about the business aspects of football.  Bledsoe is GONE!

224544[/snapback]

Can you please explain how JP cost us a 1st, 2nd and fifth?

Does anybody actually think that he needs to be "ready"?  First off what the heck is ready anyway?  To me, ready is...... Does he have 2 feet?, Can he throw the ball?  Is there anything going on under that Cali-surfer haircut of his?  Other than that what matters?  There is no doubt that he is going to make rookie mistakes.  Sitting on the sidelines isn't going to change that.  The fact of the matter is that J.P. cost the Bills a 1st, 2nd, and 5th rd pick.  THat is a lot!  That is the kind of price you pay for Jim Kelly.  The only way that J.P. doesn't start is if Bledsoe had a season better than ever, ever, that is right ever.  Even Drew Bledsoe in his prime wasn't worth a 1st, 2nd, and 5th.  I don't really know what is going on but I was just thinking about the business aspects of football.  Bledsoe is GONE!

224544[/snapback]

Yes indeed. That is the reality of all of this. With rumors flying round the Bledsoe is gone who will quarterback this team? It's time for JP.

You might want to wait and see how thisTravis thing plays out before you pat yourself on the back for being right, and scoff at VAB's info.

YOU may see Travis as this highly desired commodity. This is great, but we will soon see if any GMs want to give up a 2nd round pick, which was the cost for Dillon, and Faulk in his prime.

Compared to these two, Travis is a bag of sh--.

225499[/snapback]

Dillon in his prime? Not even close. Dillon was seen as a malcontent runningback who had very little tread left on his tires. In other words, damaged goods.

Faulk in his prime? If memory serves me Faulk was shown the door because Edgarrin James was seen as a better younger option to a underperforming supposed NFL superstar.

I've got 3 numbers for you...2960, 3120 and 3167. Those are the numbers of the last 3 years of rushing yards production to the team that drafted them for Faulk, Henry and Dillon respectively. You seemed to have attached a 20/20 vision to what Dillon and Faulk did after the their trades rather than look at what their value was before the fact. The kicker to this is that Henry is a young pup compared to both of these two when heading into trade negotiations. I'm not patting myself on the back, just scoffing at the beat down of Henry to the point people think getting a 2nd round pick for him is lunacy. If I feel that someone's "insider" is feeding us hogwash, I'm going to call it as I see it. Henry is going to be a great runningback for some team if the fit is right. Equating Travis to a bag of sh-- is insulting to Henry and what he's done for this team during a dark dark period.

I'm just saying that history tells us that rushing a rookie quarterback can be the wrong move. Yes, there are certain cases where it has worked, but moreso the latter case.

However, with the position we are in, I'd say that we should start Losman next year because Bledsoe isnt taking us anywhere and we have no other option. I'm sick of Bledsoe as our quarterback.

224558[/snapback]

We DO have another option. We could sign a guy who has a Super Bowl MVP; and two NFL MVP awards. A guy who just last year had a QB rating ten points higher than Drew's despite having a lot less offensive talent to work with than Drew did. A guy who is scheduled to become a free agent; and whom we could probably sign at a reasonable price. A good character guy who won't divide the locker room if you bench him. If the coaches decide Losman needs more time out on the practice field before he starts, I say sign this other guy. This guy is younger than Rich Gannon was when he signed with the Raiders.

We DO have another option. We could sign a guy who has a Super Bowl MVP; and two NFL MVP awards. A guy who just last year had a QB rating ten points higher than Drew's despite having a lot less offensive talent to work with than Drew did. A guy who is scheduled to become a free agent; and whom we could probably sign at a reasonable price. A good character guy who won't divide the locker room if you bench him. If the coaches decide Losman needs more time out on the practice field before he starts, I say sign this other guy. This guy is younger than Rich Gannon was when he signed with the Raiders.

226169[/snapback]

Less talent. During the same timefrmae, Tiki Barber may have been one of the top 3 backs in the league last year. He had solid WR's in NY, not great but 3 solid ones. Oline was very questionable, but not much worse then ours. Evans didn't come into his own until about the midway point. So in reality Warner had as good or better talent around him when he was playing last year.

224544[/snapback]

With any first-time starter, there is a learning period. I'm sure the fans will show Losman just as much patience as they did the last time the Bills traded away a first round pick (plus some change) for a QB with a surfer dude look to him.

With any first-time starter, there is a learning period. I'm sure the fans will show Losman just as much patience as they did the last time the Bills traded away a first round pick (plus some change) for a QB with a surfer dude look to him.

226176[/snapback]

Or Todd Collins. <_<

Less talent.  During the same timefrmae, Tiki Barber may have been one of the top 3 backs in the league last year.  He had solid WR's in NY, not great but 3 solid ones.  Oline was very questionable, but not much worse then ours.  Evans didn't come into his own until about the midway point.  So in reality Warner had as good or better talent around him when he was playing last year.

226175[/snapback]

Not much worse than ours? It seemed to me that with the exception of the first six games or so, the Bills offensive line did a good job of pass protection. The Giants' offensive line was a sieve. Tiki Barber had 1500 yards rushing last year; so calling him top 3 is a stretch. Travis Henry has had a 1400 yard season, and most fans would be pretty happy with a 3rd round pick for him. In any case, McGahee got over 1000 yards in his ten starts, so he was on pace to have the same kind of year that Barber had.

Not much worse than ours? It seemed to me that with the exception of the first six games or so, the Bills offensive line did a good job of pass protection. The Giants' offensive line was a sieve. Tiki Barber had 1500 yards rushing last year; so calling him top 3 is a stretch. Travis Henry has had a 1400 yard season, and most fans would be pretty happy with a 3rd round pick for him. In any case, McGahee got over 1000 yards in his ten starts, so he was on pace to have the same kind of year that Barber had.

226198[/snapback]

Tiki also catches a shitload of passes and gets YAC's. While tiny in stature he also blocks. These are 2 things Travis Gump has never done well.

And what was Drew's record in the final 10 games again, when he had a solid Running Back?

226169[/snapback]

You can sign Kurt Warner to your fantasy team if you want to, but keep him away from the Bills, please. Warner wants to be a starter and he's not going to go somewhere with some kid looking over his shoulder again if he doesn't have to. He'd be better served taking a backup position behind a tenuous starter.

And yes, I would take Drew over him. There's a reason Warner was stocking shelves for awhile.

Tiki also catches a shitload of passes and gets YAC's.  While tiny in stature he also blocks.  These are 2 things Travis Gump has never done well. 

And what was Drew's record in the final 10 games again, when he had a solid Running Back?

226208[/snapback]

Drew's record? Drew doesn't have a record. The TEAM has a record; unless you think that one man can win a football game. Given that the Bills had the #2 ranked defense and the best special teams in the league, you'd expect at least a decent record no matter how inept the offense was.

That's why I'm focusing on QB ratings, because they focus on what the individual player contributed to his team. Warner's rating was ten points higher than Drew's.

Drew's record? Drew doesn't have a record. The TEAM has a record; unless you think that one man can win a football game. Given that the Bills had the #2 ranked defense and the best special teams in the league, you'd expect at least a decent record no matter how inept the offense was.

That's why I'm focusing on QB ratings, because they focus on what the individual player contributed to his team. Warner's rating was ten points higher than Drew's.

226240[/snapback]

Then what was Drew's rating when Willis was in there?

There's a reason Warner was stocking shelves for awhile.

226220[/snapback]

You're 100% right. I'm sure that every GM in the league was thinking the same thing as they watched Warner carve up their defenses with surgical precision. "There is a reason this guy was stocking shelves," they surely thought to themselves. "Leading a team to a SB win--when that team relies more on passing than running, more on offense than defense--isn't good enough to deserve a roster spot in the NFL."

That is a mighty bold statement VA....

You are either going to look like someone with really good inside info....or a bonafide goat..... <_<

225162[/snapback]

VA's shared info from this source with me before. He's not always right...but usually is, and generally knows of what he speaks, right or not.

Then what was Drew's rating when Willis was in there?

226246[/snapback]

I can't believe I actually found the answer to this, but I did. In the games when Willis started, Drew had 304 attempts, 172 completions, 1933 yards, 15 TDs, and 9 INTs. This works out to a rating of 79.8; not much different from his rating for the year as a whole. Considering all the things that were good about those games--weaker defenses, an offensive line that had come together, the emergence of Evans, McGahee as the starter, defenses daring us to pass--you'd think he'd have been able to take better advantage of the situation.

Kurt Warner came into a situation where a new offensive system was being installed, the offensive line--awful to begin with--was learning a new blocking scheme, and where he hadn't had the chance to develop chemistry with any of the players in previous years. That his QB rating was substantially higher than Drew's; even if you're just looking at the non-Travis part of Drew's season--says a lot about Warner as a player.