Sammy Watkins Rookie of the Month for October

1B4IDie

There have been a lot of posts basically indicating that they are interchangeable. They are not. KB is a nice player (Alshon Jeffrey), Watkins is a star. It is in no way a knock on Benjamin it is a salute to Sammy.

I agree. SageAgainsttheMachine said that Benjamin's upside is Vincent Jackson whereas Sammy's upside is Fitzgerald and I think that's a great way to look at this - one will be elite and one will be great.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AdamBenigni

Early results from #Bills Watkins, but is he worth the price? Takes from @viccarucci @JoeBuscaglia @wgrz http://www.wgrz.com/...06109/ …

That Video really bugged me for some reason, I hate that sound bite nonsense.

This was my response in the comments:

Vic, Really? Not you?

It is easy to mouth off and say "The Bills mortgaged their future."

Lets do some actual analysis of the situation:

If the Bills had stood pat they are on record as saying that Eric Ebron would be the pick at #9 overall.

Sammy Watkins’ TD catch (including pass defense) in the Vikings, big catch in the Lions, and overall dominance against the Jests secondary is a major contributing factor in those wins. Without Sammy the Bills don't get those wins. Lets just suppose with Stevie instead of Sammy they win 1 of the above 3 and keep the other wins. That means the Bills would be 3-5 without Sammy and essentially no chance at the playoffs.

Instead One Bills Drive traded a 2015 1st round pick to the Browns for a chance at the playoffs in 2014. Not to mention that a 6-10 (the Sammy-less 2014 Bills’ record) team picks about #9, but a 8-8 team picks about #15 (8-8 is likely the minimum 2014 Sammy-ful Bills' record at this point in time.)

So One Bills drive realistic options were, in hindsight:

A.) Eric Ebron #9 overall and earn and keep a 2015 #9 overall pick.

B.) Sammy Watkins, and earn a #15-32 2015 pick that you ship to the Browns (plus a 4th)

If you really think option A.) is the best option for the Bills, I'd really question your perspective. Choosing Eric (obvious bust) Ebron and keeping your 2015 1st is a losing option. Worrying about what QBs are available in 2015 draft is how GMs lose their jobs and get fired and how you end up with 14 years of missing the playoffs.

Taking Option B.) Sammy Watkins is a chance to win now. That is really the only option a GM should ever take.

While we are talking about the 2015 QBs. Mariotta or Winston are both not slam dunk QB prospects. More importantly neither will be available when a 6-10 team picks. The Bills defense is too good this year to completely lose out to the point of 1-15 or 2-14 to get a top 3 pick and a chance at either QB. So that 2015 1st was never going to be in the range to take those top QB prospects. A Sammy-less 2015 1st round pick would have been where the Bills always pick in the Good but not Great range of prospects, about #9 overall.

Also lets look at the remainder of the schedule.

A win @Dolphins, Jests, Browns, and @Oakland will give the Bills their first winning record in a decade.

I'm chalking up @Broncos and @Patriots as a loss. If the Bills can win the above and steal wins at home against the Packers and/or the Chiefs. The Bills actually have a shot at he playoffs in 2014. That is what Sammy gives the Bills and that is the only option One Bills Drive should be making, a chance to win now and make the playoffs.

All of that doesn’t even take into consideration the rest of Sammy’s career which is trending to be the next All-NFL WR.

(The above is actual analysis and not shooting off at the mouth incase you forgot what that looks like.)

@ why so serious -- thanks for writing that. I listened to that piece and was also disappointed in the takes of Carucci and Buscaglia. Theirs is an old school mentality of "not giving away draft picks" -- remember Buddy Nix -- and your analysis is well thought out.

The Bills finally made a move in an effort to win now. I hope the Browns enjoy their 1st round pick that is likely to be 15 or higher next year.

What do we think Browns fans would say if asked whether they wish they had Sammy Watkins on the roster and only one first rounder next year?

@ why so serious -- thanks for writing that. I listened to that piece and was also disappointed in the takes of Carucci and Buscaglia. Theirs is an old school mentality of "not giving away draft picks" -- remember Buddy Nix -- and your analysis is well thought out.

The Bills finally made a move in an effort to win now. I hope the Browns enjoy their 1st round pick that is likely to be 15 or higher next year.

What do we think Browns fans would say if asked whether they wish they had Sammy Watkins on the roster and only one first rounder next year?

Thanks but flattery will not help you in the Survivor Pool. (you need to make your pick)

I will survive!

Edited by Why So Serious?

i already know what they're saying. They hate it more with each passing Sunday. They don't want any more crap 1st rounders like Justin Gilbert and Kiki Mingo. For once they want the sure thing. They think the decision will haunt the franchise.

Once Josh Gordon is back and if he can stay clean they will probably feel better. But imagine having both of those guys!

Edited by YoloinOhio

What if we kept the picks and took Benjamin (instead of Ebron as posited above)?

That's not realistic but I will be bold and go on record. I would rather Sammy than Benjamin and a 1st. I think that Benjamin is (and will be) good. I think Sammy will be at the top of the league. If my options are Benjamin and Landon Collins or Watkins, I am taking Watkins.

That's not realistic but I will be bold and go on record. I would rather Sammy than Benjamin and a 1st. I think that Benjamin is (and will be) good. I think Sammy will be at the top of the league. If my options are Benjamin and Landon Collins or Watkins, I am taking Watkins.

And I will boldly concur. First round picks are precious, but great players are even more difficult to come by. A bird in the hand... First round picks are a gamble. Sammy was as close to a sure thing as it gets. Just my opinion.

Edited by Augie

And I will boldly concur. First round picks are precious, but great players are even more difficult to come by. A bird in the hand... First round picks are a gamble. Sammy was as close to a sure thing as it gets. Just my opinion.

Agreed, I was on the Sammy train early and have been thoroughly impressed so far but KBenjamin has done well also.