SB Nation: It took Kyle Orton 10 years,but he finally found his way

YoloinOhio

So if they win a playoff game this year with him, you wouldn't re-sign him? You would let him enter free agency?

You got me WEO. 2 seasons, w/ playoff win and yes the plural would be even better. wins

I thought he had 2 yr contract, let me check ... yes he does

Kyle Orton signed a 2 year / $11 million contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $3,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $5,500,000

• 2015 Season Contains a Void

but on the Bills part or Kyle's?

http://www.spotrac.c...lls/kyle-orton/

Again let it be noted. I brought the subject up on this board when KO left Dallas - what about Kyle as a backup.

the archives will be the judge.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Fitz

I'd like to see 2 full years of good play before committing and a playoff win.

> I'd like to see 2 full years of good play before committing and a playoff win.

Orton is on a two year deal. However, he can void the second year if he so chooses. Which means he's on a one year deal.

JC2002 wrote:

> Of course but I think he will be expecting to be the man for the foreseeable future as opposed to simply breaking the bank.

The kind of contract the Bills offer him will say a lot about how they see him. If they offer him backup money, that means they see him as a backup. If they offer him solid starter money, that's a very clear statement they envision him as the answer for the time being.

Orton is not Fitzpatrick. Even when Fitz was "playing well," it's not like he was doing a particularly good job of accurately throwing the ball into tight coverage. Instead, Gailey had designed an offense designed to mask Fitz's lack of accuracy. The offense was designed to capitalize on Fitz's biggest strength (the ability to read the field quickly and accurately), and to make sure that the throws themselves were fairly simple, easy and straightforward. Defenses caught up to Gailey's offense shortly after Fitz signed that big contract extension.

In contrast to the above, there's nothing gimmicky about Orton's production. He's getting his numbers by playing good, solid football. He's making good decisions, throwing the ball accurately. Far more accurately than Fitz. A quarterback who plays like that can succeed in just about any standard-issue NFL offense. You don't have to worry about whether some Fitzpatrick-specific offense cooked up by Gailey can stand the test of time.

@thadbrown7

#Bills are noticing the Kyle Orton difference. #Billsmafia http://www.rochester...KmRzGQ …

Fits right into this topic :D

Despite many questions about how Orton could potentially turn this four-game run into a more permanent resurgence as an NFL starting quarterback, Orton has refused to consider any opportunities for him long term. He steadfastly, almost maniacally, will only discuss the next game.

"You have to focus on Wednesday," Orton said last Wednesday. "Because if you let a Wednesday slip by, it can hurt you on Sunday."

"This is my first time being in the locker room with somebody playing as well as he is and not really been talked about so," Fred Jackson said. "That's the thing about him,

he doesn't care. He just wants to win games."

Edited by JC2002

> I'd like to see 2 full years of good play before committing and a playoff win.

Orton is on a two year deal. However, he can void the second year if he so chooses. Which means he's on a one year deal.

JC2002 wrote:

> Of course but I think he will be expecting to be the man for the foreseeable future as opposed to simply breaking the bank.

The kind of contract the Bills offer him will say a lot about how they see him. If they offer him backup money, that means they see him as a backup. If they offer him solid starter money, that's a very clear statement they envision him as the answer for the time being.

Thanks for the explanation / clarification on the contract terms.

If Kyle continues to play well, do you think he'd want to leave Buffalo next season?

He sat for close to 2 months unemployed before the Bills called him. With Cutler stinking up the joint maybe the Bears would want him back? The Redskins as a backup? Who else could be interested?

Thanks for the explanation / clarification on the contract terms.

If Kyle continues to play well, do you think he'd want to leave Buffalo next season?

He sat for close to 2 months unemployed before the Bills called him. With Cutler stinking up the joint maybe the Bears would want him back? The Redskins as a backup? Who else could be interested?

Lets keep in mind that QB's that play as well as Orton is are at a premium.....there would easily be a market for him.

We need to keep this nice and easy.......he enjoys playing for us...he is our starter.....we have a lot of nice offensive pieces to play with.......if he stays consistant this year give him the contract he deserves.

Lets keep in mind that QB's that play as well as Orton is are at a premium.....there would easily be a market for him.

We need to keep this nice and easy.......he enjoys playing for us...he is our starter.....we have a lot of nice offensive pieces to play with.......if he stays consistant this year give him the contract he deserves.

I think teams are wary of the journeyman who has a good season. Call it the Josh McNown effect. I think teams would rather draft a guy than hitch their wagons to a guy like Orton.

I don't think the market will be that crazy for him and there are plenty of games left for him to prove it. And if he does keep it up, it would be a straight money grab because this is a great situation.

I think teams are wary of the journeyman who has a good season. Call it the Josh McNown effect. I think teams would rather draft a guy than hitch their wagons to a guy like Orton.

I don't think the market will be that crazy for him and there are plenty of games left for him to prove it. And if he does keep it up, it would be a straight money grab because this is a great situation.

Good point. I think Josh McCown is good example of it's too early to think that Orton is the man, or has arrived. Personally, I think Orton is better than McCown, who I never thought was anything more than a backup. But he did come in and play rather well for the Bears with a lot of offensive talent around him.

Good point. I think Josh McCown is good example of it's too early to think that Orton is the man, or has arrived. Personally, I think Orton is better than McCown, who I never thought was anything more than a backup. But he did come in and play rather well for the Bears with a lot of offensive talent around him.

Yeah, Orton has actually had a few seasons of being a decent NFL starter. McNown just had a crazy completely out of no where season.

If Orton keeps it up and takes us to the playoffs, his best opportunity will be to stay here. No matter how good he is, another team isn't selling tickets to see Orton. But a rookie 1st rounder does.

That's the difference between McCown & Orton. Orton's average season is 3500 yards, 20 TDs & 12 INTs (without today's rules). I think that his numbers are 15-25% higher with the rules now vs. 5 years ago. I don't mean to sound repetitive but those aren't the numbers of a scrub backup; they are that of a middle of the road starter. He has a much longer resume than McCown. Orton had some bad luck as they brought in Cutler and later Tebow.

That's the difference between McCown & Orton. Orton's average season is 3500 yards, 20 TDs & 12 INTs (without today's rules). I think that his numbers are 15-25% higher with the rules now vs. 5 years ago. I don't mean to sound repetitive but those aren't the numbers of a scrub backup; they are that of a middle of the road starter. He has a much longer resume than McCown. Orton had some bad luck as they brought in Cutler and later Tebow.

I know what you're saying but I think the best comparison is against other guys that year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingTouchdowns/year/2010 Orton was 10th in yards & 17th in tds.

That was a bit of the knock I heard on Orton. He can move the ball between the 20s but doesn't always get it into the endZone. That's why I wasn't overly impressed by the Detroit and Minnesota games. We weren't scoring.

That's why the Jets game was great to see. He didn't have the yards (so overrated) but was producing tds (and there was room for more too). Hopefully, that is the start of something good. I could care less about yards.

I know what you're saying but I think the best comparison is against other guys that year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingTouchdowns/year/2010 Orton was 10th in yards & 17th in tds.

That was a bit of the knock I heard on Orton. He can move the ball between the 20s but doesn't always get it into the endZone. That's why I wasn't overly impressed by the Detroit and Minnesota games. We weren't scoring.

That's why the Jets game was great to see. He didn't have the yards (so overrated) but was producing tds (and there was room for more too). Hopefully, that is the start of something good. I could care less about yards.

If you extrapolate his stats this year over 16 games it would be a franchise record for yards (like 4500) and TDs (36). Orton has been really, really good.

If you extrapolate his stats this year over 16 games it would be a franchise record for yards (like 4500) and TDs (36). Orton has been really, really good.

Yeah, but it's silly to do so. IMO, the truest form of an average is to drop the high and low games.

It's a pretty good start but let's see the guy finish it. Both the Bills and Orton have gotten off to hot starts before. But there's a reason we haven't been to the playoffs in 14 years and he's been on 5 teams. Maybe the misfits are perfect for each other.

Yeah, but it's silly to do so. IMO, the truest form of an average is to drop the high and low games.

It's a pretty good start but let's see the guy finish it. Both the Bills and Orton have gotten off to hot starts before. But there's a reason we haven't been to the playoffs in 14 years and he's been on 5 teams. Maybe the misfits are perfect for each other.

I don't disagree but people are comparing him to McCown. When Orton was a starter he was actually a middle of the league guy (not a bottom 5). It is completely different from Fitz's hot start. It's quite possible that Orton can't sustain this level of play (think that he is 4th in QB rating) but it's not unrealistic at all to think that he can play at an Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco type of level. That is where he has always played at. Edited by Kirby Jackson

What a lot of fans don't get is that its incredibly to almost impossibly difficult for even an elite QB like Brady-Brees- Manning to win games all on their own with a lousy run game, and behind a bad O line. Not to mention with the downright repetitive, predictable play calling. Yet, Orton did just that with comebacks against Detroit's #1 defense, and Minnesota #8 defense. Of course he is going to have great difficulty at times in carrying the entire offense all on his own.

To me Orton has been downright amazing considering his supporting cast of **** coaches, worst O line in the league. Then to top it off he lost possibly the very best 3rd down blocking back, and top RB in Fred Jackson. To me Kyle Orton is playing at an elite level in a bad offense.

To reiterate, my biggest concern is not signing him next season or after next season. Its him being able to survive this season.