Positional Needs - November Mock

Astrobot

How hard is it to get a guard who can compete in the NFL? Holy crap!

This team and its stupidity with the OG position never ceases to amaze me. This is a team that either has great difficulty in evaluating offensive guard talent, or simply thinks the position doesn't require good talent. the coaches seem to think that because they had the #2 rushing team last year that everything was just fine.

Imagine a core of front office people that were determined to think that the DT position was an area that only required mediocre talent to get by with, and then couldn't figure out why they have great difficulty in stopping the up the middle running against them, or why they can't get to the QB. They seem to think that anyone with the proper massive predetermined weight, and height will suffice in filling that position.

Neither the current coaches nor the the GM understands the concept of having elite players on the offensive line, or they would have drafted earlier then the second round the last few years.

You would think that when the team lost Center Eric Wood to the IR after week 9, and then watching the team go from a 5-2 start to a collapse into a losing 6-10 season that they would put more importance on having a competent backup center. The watching what how the team performed in pass protection after letting LG Andy Levitre walk. That after they let Levitre leave at the end of 2012 they had great difficulty keeping the rookie QB's protected, and running the ball to control the clock that they would understand the significance of quality talent at the guard position.

First off the very last thing you want in a OG is bloated warthog who can't get out of his own way, or not be able to get low enough to get under the pad level of the DT's.(Like most of the current players in the line). You want a OG to be athletic, tough and physical. Top guards need to get off the line explosively to a make a primary block and then be able to move up field to make second block on a LBer or even further down field. From what I see the current Bills OG have great difficulty in making an effective primary block, much less getting to the second, or third level.

Personally I prefer O linemen that are all athletic, tough, physical, and have a nasty streak in them. To me bigger is not always better, and the current regime seems to go with that bigger is better philosophy.

EDIT: looking at the stats from Football outsiders the Bills are currently 28th in run blocking, and 30th in getting to that second level. (what we already knew) Plus they are still trying to run the ball up the middle 68% of the time. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Edited by FeartheLosing

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team and its stupidity with the OG position never ceases to amaze me. This is a team that either has great difficulty in evaluating offensive guard talent, or simply thinks the position doesn't require good talent. the coaches seem to think that because they had the #2 rushing team last year that everything was just fine.

Imagine a core of front office people that were determined to think that the DT position was an area that only required mediocre talent to get by with, and then couldn't figure out why they have great difficulty in stopping the up the middle running against them, or why they can't get to the QB. They seem to think that anyone with the proper massive predetermined weight, and height will suffice in filling that position.

Neither the current coaches nor the the GM understands the concept of having elite players on the offensive line, or they would have drafted earlier then the second round the last few years.

You would think that when the team lost Center Eric Wood to the IR after week 9, and then watching the team go from a 5-2 start to a collapse into a losing 6-10 season that they would put more importance on having a competent backup center. The watching what how the team performed in pass protection after letting LG Andy Levitre walk. That after they let Levitre leave at the end of 2012 they had great difficulty keeping the rookie QB's protected, and running the ball to control the clock that they would understand the significance of quality talent at the guard position.

First off the very last thing you want in a OG is bloated warthog who can't get out of his own way, or not be able to get low enough to get under the pad level of the DT's.(Like most of the current players in the line). You want a OG to be athletic, tough and physical. Top guards need to get off the line explosively to a make a primary block and then be able to move up field to make second block on a LBer or even further down field. From what I see the current Bills OG have great difficulty in making an effective primary block, much less getting to the second, or third level.

Personally I prefer O linemen that are all athletic, tough, physical, and have a nasty streak in them. To me bigger is not always better, and the current regime seems to go with that bigger is better philosophy.

EDIT: looking at the stats from Football outsiders the Bills are currently 28th in run blocking, and 30th in getting to that second level. (what we already knew) Plus they are still trying to run the ball up the middle 68% of the time. http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/ol

Excellent post. Thank you. + 1

Q: They drafted 3 O linemen last year. 2 OTs and 1 OG. They do seem to be horrible at evaluating OG talent. Why is this so tough to do? They paid an injury history Williams and guess what? He's injured!

They only have four draft picks next year, so they better overpay some a veteran OG who can actually play some. IMO.

Brandt: Top three draft needs for all 32 teams

If the season concluded today, this is what the draft order would be, with Gil Brandt providing the top three needs for all 32 teams and a deeper look at those that might already be looking toward the draft.

Brandt has LB on the Bills' needs list, but not OG. This doesn't add up for me.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Brandt: Top three draft needs for all 32 teams

Brandt has LB on the Bills' needs list, but not OG. This doesn't add up for me.

I got the impression that he subbed in Cleveland's needs, and not the Bills.

WalterFootball.com has the Bills taking UCLA QB Brett Hundley in the 2nd, and a DT in the 3rd.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015_2.php

Although, I just don't see a QB being taken next year if Orton continues to play well. I would have to think the teams FO would have to be mentally ill to not fix the OG's position, and or try for a decent TE with the first three picks. Two OG's and a TE sound good to me.

Excellent post. Thank you. + 1

Q: They drafted 3 O linemen last year. 2 OTs and 1 OG. They do seem to be horrible at evaluating OG talent. Why is this so tough to do? They paid an injury history Williams and guess what? He's injured!

They only have four draft picks next year, so they better overpay some a veteran OG who can actually play some. IMO.

You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

I'm still trying to understand the thought process in regarding O line players, and wonder if this is the new analytic's department at work? You know, moneyball.