Three WR and one TE.

This kind of stuff is being discussed elsewhere but it's a huge topic, and something hopefully we can discuss in one thread on the specific topic.

My problem with the Bills offense is the use of the 2-3 TE vs. 3 WR groupings more than anything. It drives me nuts. Lee Smith, regardless of his one yard TE and 3 yard reception stinks. We go away from our strength and play into our weakness.

Today, the only argument against having trouble with the offense is, and it's a good one, that we scored 43 points.

That said...

The first TD to Woods was out of a 2 TE, 2 WR set.

The long pass to Watkins was 3 WR.

The TD to Chander was 3 WR.

The TD to Watkins was 3 WR.

I'm not at all saying we should never use 2-3 TEs. Of course at the goalline you do. At times during the game I don't mind it at all. But as a base offense and idea, it is wasting our best players.

You can say we scored all those points and it was a win and whatever, but the vast majority of those points were scored from the more spread offense or 3 WR groupings and not the 2-3 TE concept.

If you have the matchups to exploit a 2TE matchup like San Diego o New Nglnd then it would be different. I'd not agree. But we have two high end WR's and a handful of good WR's we can change up. The tool box of WR's we keep on the sideline is diverse. Speed with Goodwin, possession with Hogan, all around skill with Williams and a wildcard in Easley.

I think I have posted the same thing elsewhere, but my stomach drops every time I see us in a 1-WR or 2-TE set.

I think we go power so often because Hackett has this notion that you can run more effectively out of a 2-TE set, which is absurd. We talk about getting guys in space-- runnng from a spread set is a great way to do that, especially when you have great blocking receivers like we do.

It's just one of a lot of examples of this staff not having a clue how to play to their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. It'd be hard enough to wrap your head around if they were hired two months ago from outer space, but they've helped build the team they want to build, and this is what they do. And on defense they have Mario, et al in on the Jets garbage time TD, but not vs NE down 8 w/ 6mins left. OK sweet.

I think I have posted the same thing elsewhere, but my stomach drops every time I see us in a 1-WR or 2-TE set.

I think we go power so often because Hackett has this notion that you can run more effectively out of a 2-TE set, which is absurd. We talk about getting guys in space-- runnng from a spread set is a great way to do that, especially when you have great blocking receivers like we do.

Kelso brought this point up repeatedly on the radio today.

So Goodwin was out today, Woods missed most of the game, Did Easley play today?? Williams has been a disappointment.

May be they are afraid to only have one TE as the blocking isn't good enough and would make the D tend to bring in more LB less D-backs for guys like Sammy to work against.

If the line starts playing better may see more WR play

So Goodwin was out today, Woods missed most of the game, Did Easley play today?? Williams has been a disappointment.

May be they are afraid to only have one TE as the blocking isn't good enough and would make the D tend to bring in more LB less D-backs for guys like Sammy to work against.

If the line starts playing better may see more WR play

One of the sacks I attributed entirely to the formation. Everyone but one guy it seemed was bunched up at the line. The Jets had everyone up in the box. They blitzed a LB and a DB from our right side and the DB came in untouched and murdered Orton. They never would have been able to do that if with split three wide.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Thank god there are professionals out there that are saying the same thing.

What's really depressing about this is that the Bills would do better just using someone out of the stands. Drafting, same thing. Just follow the draft guides and this team doesn't waste picks on Maybin, Spiller, Troup, McCargo, etc. We're not pros, but even we can see that what Hackett is doing doesn't work. He plays to our weaknesses. I could not believe that we didn't see a single screen pass today, NOT ONE, against the Jets pass rush. It's the only way to keep them honest and not crowd the box. Then you can run. But Nate doesn't see it. It's mind-boggling.

That does not at all sound like a good idea.

Sarcasm, I hope? Or do you believe in our current system of minimizing our strengths? I know we have some holes and I'm afraid we could set a record for FG's attempted. Thank goodness he's a greta kicker (silly Phins). But TD's are a wonderful thing.