All-22 Review - Bills/Patriots

angryfan62

Or if Duke actually makes a play on a ball he could have intercepted instead of pushing the WR and giving the Pats 7 points...Or if Robey gets a pick 6 on a play he read perfectly...Or if Graham properly plays the post he was in perfect position to defend...etc...etc...

While I really like these All-22 reports, and there is no question the Bills coaches are completely failing in many areas including getting Sammy more involved, this game basically came down to the Bills predictable inability to step-up and make plays vs the Pats...Plays that were available to be made...Especially on Defense...

Brady is Brady...Gronk is Gronk...they are going to make some plays...It's a given...The Bills are not immune to it...But they had their opportunities to step up and make some big plays in this game and they failed miserably...Like they usually do vs the Pats...And the beat goes on... B-)

Sort of agree, sort of disagree. What the Pats do is gameplan to minimize the other team's strengths, and exploit the other team's weaknesses. What the All-22 analysis reflects is that the Bills' coaches did not utilize this (blatantly obvious) strategy. And it's maddening. Yes there were "plays to be made." But you know what? Take Gronk out of the game and make LaFell beat you. If Brandon LaFell beats you, well, they made the plays, good for them. But if Gronk beats you (over and over again like a spiked club), you've failed in your coaching approach. I can GUARANTEE you that Bill Belichick would've taken Gronk out of the game and made Brandon LaFell beat him, if he was on our sideline.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Three extra chances, 13 point swing

2) Say that one of those drives that ended in a turnover could have ended in a score. It is now a 16 to 20 point swing.

3) It is a lot easier for Brady to turn the screws on a team when he has the lead.

4) More possessions for Brady and co. further wears out the defense.

Not so hard to come up with a list in 90 seconds.

Having one more minute out on the field wore out our D?

Do you consider Robey's near pick six, and Duke's miss of an easy pick 14 point swings each?9

1) Three extra chances, 13 point swing

2) Say that one of those drives that ended in a turnover could have ended in a score. It is now a 16 to 20 point swing.

3) It is a lot easier for Brady to turn the screws on a team when he has the lead.

4) More possessions for Brady and co. further wears out the defense.

Not so hard to come up with a list in 90 seconds.

Speaking of swings, Bills were down by 6 at the half, and lost the game by 15 ... So even if they didn't spot the 13 points off turnovers, they didn't do enough to stop the 24 points in the 2nd half.

Having one more minute out on the field wore out our D?

Do you consider Robey's near pick six, and Duke's miss of an easy pick 14 point swings each?

I'm not surprised that the forest is being missed for the trees here, even though I was very conservative with my estimations.

I'm not surprised that the forest is being missed for the trees here, even though I was very conservative with my estimations.

I find your definitions of "swings" to be a bit capricious and arbitrary.

If a defense forces a punt instead of allowing a TD, and we score on the ensuing possession, is that a 14 point swing?

Edited by FireChan

I believe that the point Jeremy was trying to make is that whenever Gronk lined up wide, we "played man-to-man with one safety (that was no help) every time". "Every time" is the operative phrase, we tried the same method against him, every time, with exactly the same results. Now that may have been our "game plan", but when it was abundantly clear that the "plan" wasn't working something different should have been tried. That's what I meant by poor coaching, the "game plan" may have been to expect that Revis would "shut down" Watkins so we'll just use him as a decoy, but when it became evident during the game that Revis could not actually "shut him down" he should have been targeted. The failure to adjust one's "game plan" to fit in game realities is one of the hallmarks of bad coaching. Another is not letting the players that you have, do what they do best. This is why every game this season we will see a lightweight runningback with world class speed and elusiveness being handed the ball 5 yds behind the LOS in an attempt to run it straight ahead into the defensive line 6 to 12 times each game. Seriously...We need better coaching.

Gronk & Brady make mince meat out of ALL teams. I guess they should all fire their coaches.

this is well said, it hits my frustrations exactly . . . change things up when it is nott working. As a matter of fact, sometimes you need to just change things to change them, so the opposition can't get in a grove.

It is so exasperating watching the offensive plays calls—and really, so predictable. And while Schwartz has done some really good things, against a good team like NE, you have to blitz once in a while. Uuuggggghhhh!!!!!

I would guess that if I went into all the team chat rooms after a loss, they would be griping about the play calling.

Sort of agree, sort of disagree. What the Pats do is gameplan to minimize the other team's strengths, and exploit the other team's weaknesses. What the All-22 analysis reflects is that the Bills' coaches did not utilize this (blatantly obvious) strategy. And it's maddening. Yes there were "plays to be made." But you know what? Take Gronk out of the game and make LaFell beat you. If Brandon LaFell beats you, well, they made the plays, good for them. But if Gronk beats you (over and over again like a spiked club), you've failed in your coaching approach. I can GUARANTEE you that Bill Belichick would've taken Gronk out of the game and made Brandon LaFell beat him, if he was on our sideline.

Who did he take out of the game in the KC game ?

Sorry, where did Marrone do that? I didn't see it -

When Marrone was asked about player decisions on last series, he said it was the rotation but had no role in the decisions.

Ps Wynn was lined up offside

Edited by GG

Just watched it. My thoughts were many. It exposed the coaching staff more than anything to me and what the hell was Duke Williams doing in the backfield? He offered no help on Gronk's passes. Slow and late Duke. If the offensive line was decent Orton would have hit Sammy at least once for a TD.

Edited by seq004

Agreed...

No question figuring out a way to slow down Gronk should be obvious to any NFL coach...To the Bills coaches it should be a requirement...

My comments were not meant to suggest that the Bills coaches had good strategies overall because clearly they did not...The comments were more based on the fact that the Bills continue to squander the opportunities they do get against the Pats...Then coupled with the poor strategies you get more of the same blow-out losses we have all come to expect when we play NE...

One thing you can rest assured about is the fact that I'm not a Marrone fan...So it's easy for me to be critical of him and his staff...I did however get SO frustrated watching these missteps and mistakes by our players this Sunday...For example...I can't blame Preston Brown for that critical 3rd down catch by Gronk because that was a terrible defensive call...I can however blame Duke for the bonehead play that could have taken 7 points off the board...

Plenty of blame to go around...Like there usually is when the Bills play the Pats...No one steps up...Most of them just wilt... B-)

Who were the 3 interior OL NE lined up on Sunday? I would imagine most serious Bills fans couldn't even name them, yet the Bills could not put pressure on Brady (what else is new?)

The point remains that Buffalo could not take advantage of NE's personnel issues. Meanwhile, NE took full advantage of Buffalo's personnel (the result of injuries) in the secondary. It's coaching combined with bad personnel evaluation above that level.

I cannot wait for Accorsi or Wolf or someone with demonstrated success in the NFL to begin their evaluation.

The Bills had 3 pro bowlers along with Hughes against a re-worked interior offensive line yet they could not sustain any consistent pressure on Brady. Assuming its not a lack of effort, which I don't believe, this is simply unacceptable for the coaching staff not to develop a gameplan to utilize your area of strength against what is expected to be your opponents area of weakness. Yet against the Patriots the Bills, regardless of the names and faces on the coaching staff, continue to use the 'groundhog day' gameplan twice a year.