Mike Williams is A Big Problem

tonyd19

I do not mean Mike Williams the player is a big problem. I mean taking a highly compensated, highly talented, well known player and making him a healthy scratch for the biggest game of the year (to date) is a big problem for this franchise. If you ever wonder why big name free agents do not want to play here, it is basically the below reasons.

1) We have constant coach and scheme turnover. Essentially, the franchise is in perpetual chaos.

2) Nobody wants to come to an organization like this and have their value diminished by a coaching staff who does not use them properly, changes their position, or puts them in situations where they cannot maximize their value and or skill level.

3) Every few years we have a high profile player, who wants out of here for some reason or another. Players talk and do not want to deal with constant front office and personnel problems.

Now back to Mike Williams. We have a very skilled well known, national player. He grew up in Buffalo, he said his dream is to play in Buffalo. Now, 6 weeks into the season after being exposed to the organization he wants out of Buffalo. We have a head coach and front office who lay out a b.s excuse as to why our #2 wide out is inactive for a huge division game. And then lay out another b.s excuse regarding how they are not shopping him, but would look at offers for him?

Does the coaching staff and front office have any clue how this type on nonsense looks to potential free agents, potential coaches, and potential front office personnel around the league? How about to player agents and future draft choices? This crap has to end now. We cannot take a highly talented player like Williams who by all accounts has been a model citizen here, has worked hard, and who is very talented and treat him like that. Regardless of what you like or dislike about him, it sends a terrible message about the Bills as a whole. That move yesterday was absolutely unacceptable. If I was Terry Pegula, it would be the catalyst to remove the entire coaching staff at the end of the year. I would make sure I sent MANY messages through back channels that this type of crap is over. I would pay big money to bring in a well known, high profile head coach to solidify the organizations standing and give him a very long term contract.

I have been a fan of Marrone to this point, but the move yesterday to deactivate Williams may have set this team back 10 years. It was that bad.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outsider perspective here, but I thought I would throw my two cents in.

Sounds like something internally is going on, and I think that players understand that it is a business. Stuff like this happens all over the league, and I don't think MW is that big of a National player.

Winning and money cure all. Being a fan of another smaller market team, I think a lot of Free Agents would prefer to go to another organization for night life, weather, etc. But if Marrone wins this will not be an issue. Maybe he had it with some crap behind the scenes and he doesn't want to deal with it and he is setting an example?

I do not mean Mike Williams the player is a big problem. I mean taking a highly compensated, highly talented, well known player and making him a healthy scratch for the biggest game of the year (to date) is a big problem for this franchise. If you ever wonder why big name free agents do not want to play here, it is basically the below reasons.

1) We have constant coach and scheme turnover. Essentially, the franchise is in perpetual chaos.

2) Nobody wants to come to an organization like this and have their value diminished by a coaching staff who does not use them properly, changes their position, or puts them in situations where they cannot maximize their value and or skill level.

3) Every few years we have a high profile player, who wants out of here for some reason or another. Players talk and do not want to deal with constant front office and personnel problems.

Now back to Mike Williams. We have a very skilled well known, national player. He grew up in Buffalo, he said his dream is to play in Buffalo. Now, 6 weeks into the season after being exposed to the organization he wants out of Buffalo. We have a head coach and front office who lay out a b.s excuse as to why our #2 wide out is inactive for a huge division game. And then lay out another b.s excuse regarding how they are not shopping him, but would look at offers for him?

Does the coaching staff and front office have any clue how this type on nonsense looks to potential free agents, potential coaches, and potential front office personnel around the league? How about to player agents and future draft choices? This crap has to end now. We cannot take a highly talented player like Williams who by all accounts has been a model citizen here, has worked hard, and who is very talented and treat him like that. Regardless of what you like or dislike about him, it sends a terrible message about the Bills as a whole. That move yesterday was absolutely unacceptable. If I was Terry Pegula, it would be the catalyst to remove the entire coaching staff at the end of the year. I would make sure I sent MANY messages through back channels that this type of crap is over. I would pay big money to bring in a well known, high profile head coach to solidify the organizations standing and give him a very long term contract.

I have been a fan of Marrone to this point, but the move yesterday to deactivate Williams may have set this team back 10 years. It was that bad.

Kind of conflicting...

We don't know the whole story. We do know MW's history. Everyone wants to blame the coach, though.

Sounds like something internally is going on, and I think that players understand that it is a business. Stuff like this happens all over the league, and I don't think MW is that big of a National player.

Winning and money cure all. Being a fan of another smaller market team, I think a lot of Free Agents would prefer to go to another organization for night life, weather, etc. But if Marrone wins this will not be an issue. Maybe he had it with some crap behind the scenes and he doesn't want to deal with it and he is setting an example?

Nothing worse than a Packers fan having to be the voice of reason on a Bills forum.

Belichik benches Dobson for 2 games and cuts Thompkins, but he's a genius. Everyone always wants to blame the coach, unless it is the coach of another team then it must be the player.

Mike Williams hasn't done much, and the play of the WR's hasn't been a big weakness for this team. They have a pile of other problems. In other words, I couldn't care less if mike Williams wants to be traded.

I hope Whaley told his agent " yeah go ahead and try to work something out with another team, I'm busy with other things right now".

Edited by HoF Watkins

Kind of conflicting...

We don't know the whole story. We do know MW's history. Everyone wants to blame the coach, though.

I understand why you would think that. As I thought of that too while I was writing it. What I mean by it is we need a stabilizing force for this team. The move is a lot less about Williams the player as it is the message it sends to the rest of the league. Dumb moves like this are screaming for a calming presence. I should have clarified that is you remove Marrone, you absolutely must replace him with a highly respected long term answer that can stabilize the organization. Believe me, nothing would make me happier than Marrone having a Levy like career, but you just cannot do what he did yesterday.

Williams is the #3 behind Watkins and Woods. Just saying.

Hopefully morone knew that Revis would be on Watkins all day. having Williams out there could have created some matchup

Issues since past Revis their corners are average, and maybe that's being kind. There had to be a scrub they could have deactivated.

or why bring up the scrub safety for the game anyways? Smells like a college coach handing out discipline for an offense known only the locker room, Williams, amd himself. Silly move by a staff in over their heads. Williams is not all world but I will take him over Goodwin.

does Marrone even have a sense of how many frigging years the Pats have owned the Bills? Do you really rotate out your starting DE's because you "think" they might justneun out the clock? WTF this is pro ball man and that is why the hoody* is a coach that makes beating the Bills two sure wins every single year. When has the hoody ran out clock with that much time left? if anything he runs up scores, like he did.

Hopefully morone knew that Revis would be on Watkins all day. having Williams out there could have created some matchup

Issues since past Revis their corners are average, and maybe that's being kind. There had to be a scrub they could have deactivated.

or why bring up the scrub safety for the game anyways? Smells like a college coach handing out discipline for an offense known only the locker room, Williams, amd himself. Silly move by a staff in over their heads. Williams is not all world but I will take him over Goodwin.

does Marrone even have a sense of how many frigging years the Pats have owned the Bills? Do you really rotate out your starting DE's because you "think" they might justneun out the clock? WTF this is pro ball man and that is why the hoody* is a coach that makes beating the Bills two sure wins every single year. When has the hoody ran out clock with that much time left? if anything he runs up scores, like he did.

They had to, AW was inactive.

I agree with setting examples with bad players (if in fact that is happening, which there is no evidence for) But you do not do it so publicly and you certainly do not send your GM out making snarky comments about the player the next day. Just really bad optics for the entire team.

Belichik benches Dobson for 2 games and cuts Thompkins, but he's a genius. Everyone always wants to blame the coach, unless it is the coach of another team then it must be the player.

I'm sorry how many playoff games have the Bills won in the last 15 years? Belicheat is the stabilizing force I was originally talking about. Yes, winning matters. If Marrone takes the team to 4 Super Bowls and wins a couple then he can do whatever he wants. Until then, your comparison is not valid.