JP on Outside the Lines

col_forbin

The player who gives this team the best chance to win is Kurt Warner. With him under center the Giants went 5-3; on pace for a better record than the Bills finished with. However, the Giants--with the same roster--went 1-7 to finish the year with Manning taking the snaps. Warner put together a QB rating ten points higher than Drew's; despite the fact that he had basically no time to get used to a new offense and a new team before he was benched, despite the fact that he didn't have an offensive line, and despite the fact the Giants don't exactly have the same weapons that Indy does. Warner had every excuse to fail, but he succeeded.

Kurt Warner? What does it say about Warner that the Giants benched him for a rookie (albeit a 1st overall selection rookie) when they were still in the playoff hunt, and didn't go BACK to him, despite Manning losing 7 straight games?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I have a problem with that.  Did you ever watch this team with Todd Collins?  I have I refuse to watch that stupidity again.  I would rather have a chance to win, then let some young gun try to learn.

223315[/snapback]

Hey, that's not fair. I'd love to have seen Todd Collins be given a shot with this offense in '97. I'd even venture to guess that Collins would outplay Bledsoe in the '05 Bills offense.

Kurt Warner?  What does it say about Warner that the Giants benched him for a rookie (albeit a 1st overall selection rookie) when they were still in the playoff hunt, and didn't go BACK to him, despite Manning losing 7 straight games?

223394[/snapback]

i think tom coughlin's ego may have also been a factor. benching manning would be like admiting a mistake, which of course coughlin never makes :w00t:

i'd prefer warner over bledsoe at this point, but i don't think that warner, just like bledsoe, wants to be backup to a 2nd year QB

Yup Drew's fault Nate didn't knock the pass down against the Jags, or Lindell missing the kick, or the coaches forgetting to challenge the TD against Oakland.  Yup, those are all Drew's fault we didn't make the playoffs.

223257[/snapback]

Ok blame probowler Nate Clements, blame our #1 special teams, blame our #2 defense, blame rookie coach Mularkey. What do you put on Drew? Seriously the 1985 Bears missed a tackle or two, the 1996 Ravens dropped an interception or two and record setting Peyton Manning could not score a TD against the Pats. Quit being partisan and take your Drew Rose Glasses off. You put Nate under a microscope. What is Drews fault?

If JP isn't so ready then I doubt TD and Wyche would be saying such great things about Losman and, saying how he could start next year.

223406[/snapback]

To play Devil's advocate, maybe they're trying to light a fire under JPL's butt as well. Remember when he was put in the Pats game, he pretty much said that he wasn't prepared to play the game. Maybe, in order to get him to practice/rehab/study/whatever harder than he normally would, they're throwing him the "starting position" bone.

CW

Kurt Warner?  What does it say about Warner that the Giants benched him for a rookie (albeit a 1st overall selection rookie) when they were still in the playoff hunt, and didn't go BACK to him, despite Manning losing 7 straight games?

223394[/snapback]

Maybe it says that the Giants traded away the fourth overall pick in 2004, plus their first round pick in 2005, and probably some other picks I'm forgetting, just to get that one player. After Coughlin decided the Giants lacked the overall team talent to get into/get very far in the playoffs, he decided to accelerate the process of turning the rookie into a veteran.

You ever play football?  You ever play Qb or RB, see something, and in the spur of the moment forget about it because you thought it was covered?

223305[/snapback]

Err.....yes I have played football....and quite a bit...but lets put that aside.

I have that play on film and I have looked at it several times....there were 2 bandits lined up wide on the blitz....and the only thing in front of them is Willis Magahee.....

Willis does what he is supposed to do. He takes the inside guy (the bandit with the most direct path to the QB) BUT...as a Pro QB you have to recognize that you have no protection for the other one....so you:

- Call a time out

- Audible out of the play and either run it or throw a quick outlet pass

YOU DONT DO WHAT DREW DID ON THE GOALINE.....not when you are making the coin he is making. I wouldn't expect a college QB to do that

lol.....look, man........what makes me happy is the fact that as of 6:24pm Sunday January 30th, Drew Bledsoe is not the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills. As I said in an earlier post, all you guys do is defend the fact that Drew wasn't WHOLLY responsible for a given loss. You don't ever post about how he won this game or that, cause the fact is that he HASN'T. As far as I'm concerned, Drew is done here. And as far as I can tell, TD is starting to feel the same way.

223359[/snapback]

TD was finally forced to see the light after Drew crapped the bed against TEflon Tom's Steelers.

We could compare every high pick QB to JP . Know what it equals ? Nothing. Each individual is unique to himself.

I fully expect the Bills to bring in another Vet QB to compete with or back up JP. I have zero desire to keep Bledsoe around, since he has proven to play small in big games, despite being a 12 year VET. He makes FAR too many negative plays. 

If it's JP and Jay Fiedler or some other VET, I'm fine with that. Just no more Drew. He's had his chance. He's done in Buffalo.

223370[/snapback]

What's Fiedler record in Dec?

How did he do against the PAts (9-7) in 2002-3 with a chance to take his team to the Play offs.

Yeah I fogot it was Drew's fault that he was blindsided and fumbled. 

Actually go watch the game again.  It was a major coaching screw-up.  They were coached not to lose, and they did.  While some of the earlier games were Drew's fault, Pittsburgh was squarely on the coaches, period. 

223212[/snapback]

You are out of your mind! You Drew fans need to wake up and smell the coffee. Drew nearly GAVE that game to the Steelers. 90% of QBs in the league are not completely locked on one receiver for that entire play where he was 'blindsided'. He was blind to the hit because he absolutely has no ability to go through his progressions like other good QBs do. OR, before the snap, maybe he surveys the field like a veteran QB does and recognizes they are loaded up to the left and are inching up toward the line, can anyone say blitz? I mean, it's not rocket science, this is what the Steelers do!

And beyond all of his bonehead decisions and turnovers, he also rarely EVER does anything spectacular to win games or turn the momentum. Good QBs do that.

And beyond all of his bonehead decisions and turnovers, he also rarely EVER does anything spectacular to win games or turn the momentum.  Good QBs do that.

223542[/snapback]

Speaking of good QBs, Kurt Warner has two conference championships and one Super Bowl ring. He's not a Trent Dilfer, where the team won despite the QB rather than because of him. It's safe to say that St. Louis relied more on passing than running, and more on its offense than its defense. It wasn't that long ago that the Rams came very close to beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Warner's had some problems since then, but he bounced back nicely with the Giants. It's time for the Bills to put him under center to see what he can do with some real offensive talent surrounding him.

Bledsoe deserves some blame, but not more than any other part, and certainly NOT the majority of it.  I mean Lindell kicking-off to the 26 and the ST's allowing a return to the Bills' 49 (with penalty) to set-up a TD drive by the Steelers' 2nd stringers is inexcusable.  The O-line failing to get McGahee more than a yard on 1st down more than once is inexcusable.  Lindell missing a 28-yard kick is inexcusable.  The defense allowing the Steelers' 3rd string offense to score 6 points and go on a 9-minute drive is inexcusable.  And as has been mentioned, the coaching was inexcusable.

Bottom line is they played tight while the Steelers played loose, and mistake from ALL AROUND resulted.  Hopefully the team learned and grew from that, and as I've said, there are numerous changes that need to be made other than QB, if even that.

223262[/snapback]

I agree with you that Bledsoe's play in that game was inexcusable.

I agree with you that Bledsoe's play in that game was inexcusable.

223560[/snapback]

I think his point was that the Pittsburgh failure was the failure of the organization, and not of just one man. He's right, but there's a catch. A player like Nate Clements drops a punt. But he makes up for it later on with an INT. So he's even, if not ahead. With Bledsoe, I don't see him making a lot of big plays; so his mistakes are harder to forgive.

Can you think of a first round QB who never started at least one regular season game?

223319[/snapback]

I actually am surprised that no one provided a factual answer to your question which seems based on the misconception that all 1st round QBs start at least one hame as rookies and that not starting as a rookie hurts long term development.

In terms of particular folks, Pennington did not start a game his first year and actually did not even start a game his second year untik he became the starter his third year and led the Jets to the playoff.

Carson Palmer is another recent example who comes to mind of a first round pick and in fact one of the earliest players taken in his draft year who did not start any games as a rookie.

I'm sure there are other examples because an exhaustive study (and I do mean exhaustive as it was even longer than one of my longwinded posts) was done of QB success in the last 10 years or so which was found that there was no one time of starting a developing QB which guaranteed success or failure, but that quite clearly QBs who sat their first year outperformed QBs who started their first year in terms of measures like overall record and playoff appearance.

This could well be explained by QBs who start as rookies generally playing for bad teams and QBs who sat were with teams that had aa better QB playing, but generally the notion offered by ICE and others that a 1st round drafted QB MUST start is simply wrong. I can try to find the study if you are interested.

I actually am surprised that no one provided a factual answer to your question which seems based on the misconception that all 1st round QBs start at least one hame as rookies and that not starting as a rookie hurts long term development.

In terms of particular folks, Pennington did not start a game his first year and actually did not even start a game his second year untik he became the starter his third year and led the Jets to the playoff.

Carson Palmer is another recent example who comes to mind of a first round pick and in fact one of the earliest players taken in his draft year who did not start any games as a rookie.

I'm sure there are other examples because an exhaustive study (and I do mean exhaustive as it was even longer than one of my longwinded posts) was done of QB success in the last 10 years or so which was found that there was no one time of starting a developing QB which guaranteed success or failure, but that quite clearly QBs who sat their first year outperformed QBs who started their first year in terms of measures like overall record and playoff appearance.

This could well be explained by QBs who start as rookies generally playing for bad teams and QBs who sat were with teams that had aa better QB playing, but generally the notion offered by ICE and others that a 1st round drafted QB MUST start is simply wrong.  I can try to find the study if you are interested.

223601[/snapback]

I'm curious about that study. But I'd think that an organization which threw a QB into the fire his first year might be a generally impatient organization. The same impatience which caused them to start him so quickly might lead them to pull the rug out from under him too quickly as well. Peyton Manning started as a rookie; and he didn't look a whole lot better than his brother. But the organization stuck with him.

This could well be explained by QBs who start as rookies generally playing for bad teams and QBs who sat were with teams that had aa better QB playing, but generally the notion offered by ICE and others that a 1st round drafted QB MUST start is simply wrong.  I can try to find the study if you are interested.

223601[/snapback]

Actually, my point had nothing to do with the rookie year. I just said a first round QB who never started a game. Obviously there are many examples of 1st rounders who don't start a game as a rookie - JP being the most recent example. My point was about what JP has to do in training camp. I said that I felt it would likely not be weighted the same between himself and Bledsoe (if Drew were the one he competes against). They aren't going to want to see JP playing like a 12 year veteran. They are going to simply have to see enough to have the confidence that he is consistently improving. He'll have to show a sufficient grasp of the offense, and he'll need to be making plays to help offset his errors. Even though they probably won't say it publicly, I think that 1) it's really JPs job to lose at this point, and 2) his evaluation will be based on where they think he should be at a given point, not whether he's outplaying Bledsoe in camp.

Exactly my point.

223326[/snapback]

I'd be leery of anyone judging these NFL guys by how they interview or speak as well. If I did not know who Tom Brady was and just went by what I have heard from him, I would not be rushing out to recruit him for the debate team, either. Or the math club for that matter.

Yeah how dare Drew miss that 28 yarder, or allow a 3rd string RB to get 100 yards on them in the 4th quarter, or a 4th string Qb to look like Payton Manning in the 4th, running 10 minutes in one drive.  Yup all Drew's fault.

223203[/snapback]

I agree with you it was not Drews fault and I am not a Drew Basher. However,

he did not show the kind of emotion that was required from a leader that

should have carried that team that day.

Your team is fighting for the playoffs and is outside looking in and playing

the SCRUBS at home, you expect your leader to come charging or show that

in his play. Drew failed to do that and to motivate his teammates around him

to show up for the game. As a team leader he failed to deliver.

I think his point was that the Pittsburgh failure was the failure of the organization, and not of just one man. He's right, but there's a catch. A player like Nate Clements drops a punt. But he makes up for it later on with an INT. So he's even, if not ahead. With Bledsoe, I don't see him making a lot of big plays; so his mistakes are harder to forgive.

223575[/snapback]

No. It was Bledsoe...enough said.

If there was even semi-adequate sports coverage in WNY, we would know what type of off-season regimen JP is into.

In fact, we have to hear from a national show (outside the lines) that JP is planning to be in town this offseason. Where is the sports media on this?

Just ask a few damn questions! It's not like you're busy covering the Sabres or anything. Damn!