JP on Outside the Lines

col_forbin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree, but it was good to not to see him come out and start saying he is the starter. You know what I'm saying???

223051[/snapback]

Losman and Sam Wyche will be joined at the hip for the next few months. He's in good hands.

Losman and Sam Wyche will be joined at the hip for the next few months. He's in good hands.

223052[/snapback]

Yeah, i saw the interview, but at first from a distance I thought ther were interviewing Rob Johnson! Man scarey!!!! :w00t:

Yeah I agree, but it was good  not to see him come out and start saying he is the starter. You know what I'm saying???

223051[/snapback]

Yeah, you mean like Bledsoe did just after getting his asss handed to him by the Steelers? When nobody else in the organization had said he would be the starter? Yeah, I know what you're saying :w00t:

Remember, Wyche is the one who scouted him at the "Manning" workout and sold the team on drafting him, insisting he had a better workout than Eli.

223112[/snapback]

yeah we all know how well a great workout tranlates into nfl success :w00t:

*cough cough erik flowers*

Not much to say other than he is getting ready to go back to Buffalo in a couple of weeks to start for next year.

223045[/snapback]

I saw the interview as well, and I'll be honest - that was about the only answer he gave that I really liked. He didn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me...

I saw the interview as well, and I'll be honest - that was about the only answer he gave that I really liked.  He didn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me...

223152[/snapback]

I have the same vibes about JP, when listening to him being interviewed. Hopefully this is just the way he comes across during an interview and means nothing in terms of his ability to be an NFL starting QB.

PS The surfer dude look reminds me whay too much of RJ. Any chance he can come to camp with a brush cut instead. :w00t:

Yeah,  you mean like Bledsoe did just after getting his asss handed to him by the Steelers? When nobody else in the organization had said he would be the starter? Yeah, I know what you're saying :w00t:

223123[/snapback]

Yeah how dare Drew miss that 28 yarder, or allow a 3rd string RB to get 100 yards on them in the 4th quarter, or a 4th string Qb to look like Payton Manning in the 4th, running 10 minutes in one drive. Yup all Drew's fault.

Our defense allowed 16 points, forced 3 turnovers, and scored a TD in that game While Drew alone scored 10 points for the Steelers.

It wasn't all Drew's fault but, I would say a majority of it was.

223209[/snapback]

Yeah I fogot it was Drew's fault that he was blindsided and fumbled.

Actually go watch the game again. It was a major coaching screw-up. They were coached not to lose, and they did. While some of the earlier games were Drew's fault, Pittsburgh was squarely on the coaches, period.

Now whether JP can win or not, I don't know. I will support and hope he does well, but to this point in preseason , the NE game and the few other times he has been in, he has either just been a snap taker/handoff QB, or has looked pretty damn bad.

Yeah how dare Drew miss that 28 yarder, or allow a 3rd string RB to get 100 yards on them in the 4th quarter, or a 4th string Qb to look like Payton Manning in the 4th, running 10 minutes in one drive.  Yup all Drew's fault.

223203[/snapback]

Completely not the point. The point is that Bledsoe claimed it was his team next year, even though he had just crapped the bed as the QB of a team that lost to the Pitt JV. I posted about it when it happened and said that Drew was arrogant for just assuming it was still his team, even though TD had said every position and player would be evaluated. Who looks like the horse's asss now? This is anything but Drew's team. Drew was wrong for saying it, I called him on it, and now he's about to either be cut or demoted.

Completely not the point. The point is that Bledsoe claimed it was his team next year, even though he had just crapped the bed as the QB of a team that lost to the Pitt JV. I posted about it when it happened and said that Drew was arrogant for just assuming it was still his team, even though TD had said every position and player would be evaluated. Who looks like the horse's asss now? This is anything but Drew's team. Drew was wrong for saying it, I called him on it, and now he's about to either be cut or demoted.

223216[/snapback]

Again, let's wait and see. I don't see JP being ready, and I know this doesn't seem a popular decision. I don't know if Drew will be back next year. If Drew is gone, I hope the Bills get someone else in here, because I personally do not trust JP at this time.

Like I said, I will support him and cheer for him. But if by game 6 he still looks like a second string Pop Warner Qb, like this year, I will be screaming bloody murder.

Actually go watch the game again.  It was a major coaching screw-up.  They were coached not to lose, and they did.  While some of the earlier games were Drew's fault, Pittsburgh was squarely on the coaches, period. 

Now whether JP can win or not, I don't know.  I will support and hope he does well, but to this point in preseason , the NE game and the few other times he has been in, he has either just been a snap taker/handoff QB, or has looked pretty damn bad.

223212[/snapback]

VA,

There were some things in that game that other players/coaches screwed up, but if you don't put most of the blame on DB you're mistaken.

The "blind side" play was not from his blind side, and I would guess that DB was one of about six people in the stadium that didn't see it coming.

He panicked and threw balls right in to the hands of two defenders at other times (one of them dropped the ball).

The 100 4q yards the D gave up were mostly on one play. That's not an excuse for the ridiculous play, but the stats are a bit skewed.

Lindell stinks and his miss didn't help.

I saw the interview as well, and I'll be honest - that was about the only answer he gave that I really liked.  He didn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed to me...

223152[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly, I don't think we will find JP on Jeopardy anytime soon. :w00t:

I didn't see the interview but, what about his interview gave you those vibes?

223205[/snapback]

I didn't see the interview the other poster spoke of. I was just referring to interviews I have seen over the last year here in Buffalo. Like I said in the previous post, it's probably nothing more than the just the way he comes across when being interviewed. Laid back, California kid, not super articulate, etc...

VA,

There were some things in that game that other players/coaches screwed up, but if you don't put most of the blame on DB you're mistaken.

The "blind side" play was not from his blind side, and I would guess that DB was one of about six people in the stadium that didn't see it coming. 

He panicked and threw balls right in to the hands of two defenders at other times (one of them dropped the ball).

The 100 4q yards the D gave up were mostly on one play.  That's not an excuse for the ridiculous play, but the stats are a bit skewed.

Lindell stinks and his miss didn't help.

223227[/snapback]

Oh I know the play, it was an overload to the right side.

However, the coaches were doing a lot of stupid things like limiting our offense and letting Pitt know what we were doing. On any 3rd and over 7, it seemed mcgahee came out and Burns was in for his "blocking" skills. That meant the D knew to overload a side as Drew was going to pass.

You leave Mcgahee in and they have to protect the screen, or even him going out, or forbid a draw play.

The coaching sucked in that game, and our D coaching adjusted poorly.

And Bledsoe hasn't?

JP is Unknown right now and, I'll take that over Bledsoe anyday.

Drew's inability to play well against the better teams and the fact that we took JP in the first round to be a starter at some point is exactly why he should start next year.

Drew is holding this team back big time and, JP may struggle next year but, unlike Drew, Losman has POTENTIAL.

223250[/snapback]

Yup Drew's fault Nate didn't knock the pass down against the Jags, or Lindell missing the kick, or the coaches forgetting to challenge the TD against Oakland. Yup, those are all Drew's fault we didn't make the playoffs.

223216[/snapback]

Definitely has not backed up his grand pronouncement that this was his team, by showing on the field and leading them to a victory that could have been theirs if the offense had but a not unreasonable number of points on the board. Bledsoe does not deserve total blame (or even the majority of the blame in my mind) for the loss to Pittsburgh as the ST deserves a healthy chunk of the blame for making mistakes like the punt funble and most of all for missing a chip shot field goal, and the D deserves its own healthy chunk for giving up over 100 yards rushing to a 4th string RB and giving up valuable yardage and time to Pitts bring led by a disaster QB.

However, the equal shares of the loss to the inadequate efforts of the other two units does not absolve Bledsoe from his share of the blame and make his pronouncement that his is his team reasonably answered by saying OK, but so what.

However as much blame as their is reasonably for Bledsoe within the context of the truth that QBs get too much credit for wins and also too much blame for losses is actually an expression of happiness that the Bills braintrust is not following your adice and simply handing the starting job to JP.

The general word that every starter must earn his job and the general room being provided to the media for JP to win the starting job on the field is totally the right thing to do in mind. Designating him the starter at this point without him showing much on the field would be the wrong thing to do if you want to win.

JP partisans may want to argue that he never got a chance to show what he could do. Yep. However, with his injury it would have been stupid to give him the starter's job when he was injured and given that the TEAM was piling up victories in the streak changing the chemistry to allow JP the time to learn the game by making errors would have been dumb as well.

JP demonstrated no unreasonable progress for a first timer in his mop-up duty, but its hard for me to think anyone rationally thinks he was ready to starts and we would have even a fighting chance to win game with lack of command of the team he showed in the two mop-up performances he was prepared for when he ran them.

It was a very good sign that after taking a dumb delay of game penalty in his first mop-up of a win and then "improving" to not a dumb penalty because of his lack of command and only to take an unnececessary TO, he righted the ship of state and drove us to TDs in each game. I was particularly impressed with his extended play in the game where he converted a third and long and also completed a nice pass on the move to Trafford to move the sticks.

Yet, his failures when he came into both games and his unecessary dive for a couple of yards after he already has the needed first down demonstrated that he has great potential but was not ready for primetime (yet).

Even when he was thrown to the wolves against NE, he was set-up to not impress, but the really good athletes overcome these negative situations and at least show poise if not positive movment. He showed neither with his poor ball handling that led o a fumble and INT.

I'm psyched about JP and his potential, However, he can and should win the job on the field and the Bills braintrust should not designate him the starter. He definitely will have to learn before he produces so we should not give up on him (as Farve, Young and Dilfer were given up on before they played QB for SB winning teams) even though in camp, preseason or starting there will be errors. However, this needs to be balanced by not mollycoddling him as though he were some girlyman and giving him the starting job out the box, even if we cut/trade Bledsoe.

Bledsoe deserves some blame, but not more than any other part, and certainly NOT the majority of it. I mean Lindell kicking-off to the 26 and the ST's allowing a return to the Bills' 49 (with penalty) to set-up a TD drive by the Steelers' 2nd stringers is inexcusable. The O-line failing to get McGahee more than a yard on 1st down more than once is inexcusable. Lindell missing a 28-yard kick is inexcusable. The defense allowing the Steelers' 3rd string offense to score 6 points and go on a 9-minute drive is inexcusable. And as has been mentioned, the coaching was inexcusable.

Bottom line is they played tight while the Steelers played loose, and mistake from ALL AROUND resulted. Hopefully the team learned and grew from that, and as I've said, there are numerous changes that need to be made other than QB, if even that.

I was talking about what is holding this team back.

I'd say what HELD the team back this year, i.e. a slow start. That being said, I don't think they go 0-4 to start the season, and that they DO make the playoffs next year. However the moves over the off-season will determine whether they go far in the playoffs or make an early exit.

223216[/snapback]

This whole Drew is arrogant for calling the Bills "my team" is perhaps the most over-blown s**t on TSW. Congrats for starting up the bandwagon, ajzepp, and driving it slow enough for the rest of the lynch-mob to catch up....you deserve all the credit in the world! Would you give Bledsoe more credit if he had said, "I hope they let me start next year, even though nobody thinks I can play anymore"? You would be jumping all over him, saying he is a weak leader....it is kind of like Terell Ownes, if you like him, you see him risking further injury as a noble sacrifice for the team. If you hate him, he is a selfish, arrogant, "me-first" punk. Have you ever considered a carreer in sports talk radio? You would be perfect for it....

There is obviously no way of getting this through your head.

You continue to make excuses for Bledsoe to justify to yourself that it wasn't Bledsoe's fault.........It never is Bledsoe's fault......... :w00t:

It's Bledsoe's fault they lost that Jags game thanks to 3 blown 4th down plays, just like it was RJ's fault that the HomeJob ThrowUp happened. Think about that one.

This whole Drew is arrogant for calling the Bills "my team" is perhaps the most over-blown s**t on TSW.  Congrats for starting up the bandwagon, ajzepp, and driving it slow enough for the rest of the lynch-mob to catch up....you deserve all the credit in the world!  Would you give Bledsoe more credit if he had said, "I hope they let me start next year, even though nobody thinks I can play anymore"?  You would be jumping all over him, saying he is a weak leader....it is kind of like Terell Ownes, if you like him, you see him risking further injury as a noble sacrifice for the team.  If you hate him, he is a selfish, arrogant, "me-first" punk.  Have you ever considered a carreer in sports talk radio?  You would be perfect for it....

223272[/snapback]

First of all, what I stated was an opinion......if you don't like it, I could really give two sh*ts.

Second of all, I posted what I felt Bledsoe should have said when asked about next year.

Third, to say that it's your team when your GM is ON RECORD as saying EVERY position will be evaluated is arrogant, in my opinion. If you've been paying attention to what the current news has been on the QB position, you'd see that my position was more accurate than inaccurate.

Our team has become tops in the league in both defense and special teams. We have a good, young runner in WM. We have a receiver who busted out during the second half of the season. Yet there is Bledsoe doing the same crap he's been doing since he got here. He's the weakest link on this team....."GOODbye"

First of all, what I stated was an opinion......if you don't like it, I could really give two sh*ts.

Second of all, I posted what I felt Bledsoe should have said when asked about next year.

Third, to say that it's your team when your GM is ON RECORD as saying EVERY position will be evaluated is arrogant, in my opinion. If you've been paying attention to what the current news has been on the QB position, you'd see that my position was more accurate than inaccurate.

Our team has become tops in the league in both defense and special teams. We have a good, young runner in WM. We have a receiver who busted out during the second half of the season. Yet there is Bledsoe doing the same crap he's been doing since he got here. He's the weakest link on this team....."GOODbye"

223287[/snapback]

And if you had read the other thread about what Wilson had to say about JP, you might back down. Said he had a nice arm, but may not have the intelligence to get it done.

And if you had read the other thread about what Wilson had to say about JP, you might back down.  Said he had a nice arm, but may not have the intelligence to get it done.

223289[/snapback]

JP has no track record in the NFL as of yet. Willis comes off like a complete potato head when he talks, yet I don't think many of us would choose to get rid of him. Bledsoe does have a track record. A crappy one. People in New England were glad to see him go, and I am betting that Bills fans will be glad to see him go, too. JP will likely not be the next Tom Brady, but I seriously doubt there is much he could to that would make us any worse at the position than we are now.

JP has no track record in the NFL as of yet. Willis comes off like a complete potato head when he talks, yet I don't think many of us would choose to get rid of him. Bledsoe does have a track record. A crappy one. People in New England were glad to see him, and I am betting that Bills fans will be glad to see him go, too. JP will likely not be the next Tom Brady, but I seriously doubt there is much he could to that would make us any worse at the position than we are now.

223292[/snapback]

Really most of my friends that have been lifelong NE fans were very upset when he was traded. In fact I still have a few that wish Drew was still there.

Really most of my friends that have been lifelong NE fans were very upset when he was traded.  In fact I still have a few that wish Drew was still there.

223296[/snapback]

Come on, man.......obviously I didn't mean that every NE fan wanted the guy gone. But I bet you'd have a hard time finding a NE fan who would have rather kept Bledsoe in there instead of Brady. Yeah, they have hindsight to help them on that call........but it is what it is. We have GOT to have a QB who can take advantage of our D and ST......the longer we havea QB who is more a liability than an asset, the longer we're going to be on the outside looking in.

You know, something for you and the other pro-Drew crowd to think about......have you ever noticed that almost all of your posts are things like, "yeah, like it was Drews fault that this player did this or that".......they always involve you saying ways that Bledsoe didn't F up more than he already has.....or that Drew wasn't TOTALLY responsible lol...but you NEVER defend your views by proclaiming what Drew has done to win us games. Think about it.

Come on, man.......obviously I didn't mean that every NE fan wanted the guy gone. But I bet you'd have a hard time finding a NE fan who would have rather kept Bledsoe in there instead of Brady. Yeah, they have hindsight to help them on that call........but it is what it is. We have GOT to have a QB who can take advantage of our D and ST......the longer we havea  QB who is more a liability than an asset, the longer we're going to be on the outside looking in.

You know, something for you and the other pro-Drew crowd to think about......have you ever noticed that almost all of your posts are things like, "yeah, like it was Drews fault that this player did this or that".......they always involve you saying ways that Bledsoe didn't F up more than he already has.....or that Drew wasn't TOTALLY responsible lol...but you NEVER defend your views by proclaiming what Drew has done to win us games. Think about it.

223298[/snapback]

And see there is where you are wrong. I am not pro Drew. I just want the best player out there. If JP shows he is the best player in camp, then start him. If however he doesn't I am not happy to see him start, just to make him get game time. If Drew shows he is the best player in camp, then he should start, period.

I don't feel a player should learn during the season. If they haven't figured it out in camp and preseason they aren't going to get it during the season either.

Actually go watch the game again.  It was a major coaching screw-up.  They were coached not to lose, and they did.  While some of the earlier games were Drew's fault, Pittsburgh was squarely on the coaches, period. 

Now whether JP can win or not, I don't know.  I will support and hope he does well, but to this point in preseason , the NE game and the few other times he has been in, he has either just been a snap taker/handoff QB, or has looked pretty damn bad.

223212[/snapback]

VA....I dont do this a whole lot but I do have to point something out to the contrary.....

Drew Bledsoe DID in fact see the 2 bandits on that side....he turned his head and looked right at them....he simply lost track of one of them.....

ON THE FRIGGEN GOALINE

VA....I dont do this a whole lot but I do have to point something out to the contrary.....

Drew Bledsoe DID in fact see the 2 bandits on that side....he turned his head and looked right at them....he simply lost track of one of them.....

ON THE FRIGGEN GOALINE

223302[/snapback]

You ever play football? You ever play Qb or RB, see something, and in the spur of the moment forget about it because you thought it was covered?

i whole heartedly agree with you ajzepp well put. Drew WAS wrong in proclaiming the team was his. especially since upper management had already publicly stated that all positions were open for evaluation. and especially since he really lost our game. There is no excuse for a qb of his experience to lose to a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string defenders the way he did.

And see there is where you are wrong.  I am not pro Drew.  I just want the best player out there.  If JP shows he is the best player in camp, then start him.  If however he doesn't I am not happy to see him start, just to make him get game time.  If Drew shows he is the best player in camp, then he should start, period.

I don't feel a player should learn during the season.  If they haven't figured it out in camp and preseason they aren't going to get it during the season either.

223301[/snapback]

Well it's already been established on the record that there will be an open competition at QB next year. That's a given.

Well it's already been established on the record that there will be an open competition at QB next year.  That's a given.

223308[/snapback]

I know that. That is why I said, best QB should be the QB. Whether it be JP, Drew, or some 7th round rookie QB that we draft, or Jim Kelly decides to play again. I don't want to suffer through a couple of season of someone learning who may or may not ever learn

i whole heartedly agree with you ajzepp well put. Drew WAS wrong in proclaiming the team was his. especially since upper management had already publicly stated that all positions were open for evaluation. and especially since he really lost our game. There is no excuse for a qb of his experience to lose to a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string defenders the way he did.

223306[/snapback]

Bro, it was the most embarrassing loss in recent memory.......that bullsh*t in Tennessee in '99 was nothing compared to this. I'm just so sick and tired of watching Bledsoe floundering around out there.....yeah, he hits some nice passes now and again. So does Rodney Peete. Drew is not clutch. He's not a playmaker. He's not a winner.

And like you pointed out, the main reason I said it was arrogant was because TD had JUST SAID that all positions were open to evaluation. Had he not said that, I probably woulnd't have been so vocal about it. But there are 50+ other players on this team who worked their asses off this year, most of whom played a helluva lot better than Bledsoe. So to me, it was like he was putting himself above everyone else......like he's some sort of friggin untouchable.