300 YD Passing: Orton 1 Manuel 0

Actually Orton has already done it several times in his career.

But to see it happen in his very first game as a Bill, even after a slow start and on the road, was very telling - considering that EJ has never had a 300 yard game in his career.

Edited by Doug Flutie Band

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you keeping score at home:

300 YD Passing: Orton 1 Manuel 0

it is actually the first 300 yard passing game for the bills since Fitzy was QB Orton becomes the first Bills QB to throw for over 300 yards in 28 games. Manuel did have a 296 yard game last year against Carolina last year.

Its irrelevant if we lose to the lions yesterday. You can throw for 500 yards but if you don't make the key passes at crunch time its all for not. Drew brees has thrown for over 5000 yds the last 3 years and has not won a super bowl. Back in the 90's if you had a qb throw for 3000 yards you were all but guaranteed a playoff spot. Now your qb throws for 3000 as a rookie. Point is stats can be misleading and if a qb throws for 150 yds and wins the game I'm fine with that.

You forgot the other half. EJ 2-2, Orton 1-0.

Had I said "Record this season whilst starting at QB," I would have forgotten the other half.

My post was written to illustrate how silly the thread is. It's pointless.

I don't believe it to be pointless at all. Its quite indicative of the fact that if we didn't receive that extra yardage production, we wouldn't be lining up for a game winning field goal. Statistically, a typical Orton game. Its relieving to know that he should be able to improve a bit from this performance once Hackett realizes he has more options than pounding CJ up the middle for a half a yard.

We should be happy that the team won and that Orton had a good game, particularly given that it was his first game, in a hostile environment, against a top defense. However, I don't understand the need to take a shot at EJ. Most of us agreed that he wasn't progressing as he should have been and that the change to Orton needed to be made. Whatever you might think of EJ's skills on the football field, he tried hard for this team and handled his benching with class. I truly hope that he benefits from it and one day emerges as a good NFL QB. I don't get this need by some posters to continue kicking this kid around.

We should be happy that the team won and that Orton had a good game, particularly given that it was his first game, in a hostile environment, against a top defense. However, I don't understand the need to take a shot at EJ. Most of us agreed that he wasn't progressing as he should have been and that the change to Orton needed to be made. Whatever you might think of EJ's skills on the football field, he tried hard for this team and handled his benching with class. I truly hope that he benefits from it and one day emerges as a good NFL QB. I don't get this need by some posters to continue kicking this kid around.

Exactly. Celebrate Orton's play. No reason to kick sand at EJ.

I don't believe it to be pointless at all. Its quite indicative of the fact that if we didn't receive that extra yardage production, we wouldn't be lining up for a game winning field goal. Statistically, a typical Orton game. Its relieving to know that he should be able to improve a bit from this performance once Hackett realizes he has more options than pounding CJ up the middle for a half a yard.

This is all true. And it all happened with EJ on the sideline. As John Adams/BF1959 said, why not just celebrate Orton and not kick EJ while he's down. That is the part that's pointless to me.

Edited by Gugny

Exactly. Celebrate Orton's play. No reason to kick sand at EJ.

What ^^^these^^^ guys said...

Actually Orton has already done it several times in his career.

A PICK 6 on first series ever as a Bill EJ -0, KO -1

SW 14 making 2 or was it 3 fingertip catches, and FJ making 1 fingertip catch.

was it the receiver that was great or the QB off the mark?

Orton was adequate, not much better.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Had I said "Record this season whilst starting at QB," I would have forgotten the other half.

My post was written to illustrate how silly the thread is. It's pointless.

Well then your point makes no sense. You can't just count wins and not count losses.

Orton was good enough to lead the team to a victory on the road against the #1 defense in the NFL. The Bills would have had zero chance of achieving this with EJ at the helm. And believe me, I want EJ to succeed. The fact is though that Orton did what almost nobody believes that EJ could have done. It is cause for celebration. And as for your points about receivers making good catches, at least he put the ball in a position where they could make a play on it. That's what good QB's do, they put the ball out there and let playmakers make plays.

You're right. I am wrong. I'm very proud of you. Have a great day. Go Bills!!

I don't need you to be proud of me, or to be right. I was just trying to understand your point and I still don't.

Why dont you post a list of your top ten receivers and Ill post a highlight rel of each from just this year and see how many fingertip and highlight catches they are making for other Qbs ?

receivers are supposed to make those catches and Qbs are supposed to bring out the confidence in them to make em.

Ej was a passenger in the huddle while Orton is leading the huddle . I dont get why people cant see that distinction

I am getting you are more a EJ fan than a bills fan. You, C biscuit 97, etc. do not seem happy with this win.

Wow, you're just all rainbows and unicorns today aren't you? Despite what was an amazing performance by our defense on the road, you feel the need to post that they are not as good as the stats would indicate. Kyle Orton plays a solid game and helps Buffalo win a tough one on the road against an elite defense, and the first thing that goes through your noggin in the pick 6 and the inaccurate passes that ended up being great catches by our WR's.

Can't you just enjoy the win and the effort our players put forth? Why do you feel the need to crap on everything positive?

Orton was good enough to lead the team to a victory on the road against the #1 defense in the NFL. The Bills would have had zero chance of achieving this with EJ at the helm. And believe me, I want EJ to succeed. The fact is though that Orton did what almost nobody believes that EJ could have done. It is cause for celebration. And as for your points about receivers making good catches, at least he put the ball in a position where they could make a play on it. That's what good QB's do, they put the ball out there and let playmakers make plays.

I don't need you to be proud of me, or to be right. I was just trying to understand your point and I still don't.

Dude, relax. Lighten up, Francis.

Here's my point in black and white: It is USELESS to compare EJ Manuel to Kyle Orton. Especially after one game. And for the dozens of people on this board to continue to feel the need to create new threads in order to spread the gospel that EJ sucks ... well, that's even more useless.

The Bills beat a formidable opponent on the road yesterday. There should be very little to B word about and starting yet another EJ sucks thread was dumb.

That was my point.