Kyle Orton Week 17 vs. Eagles NFL REWIND All 22 Film Review - Unforced

Bocephuz

As a companion piece to the breakdown I wrote up about EJ vs. Texans last week http://forums.twobil...nforced-errors/ I've done the same analysis watching NFL REWIND All 22 for Kyle Orton in his Week 17 Game against the Eagles last year

This is not intended to be an overall analysis/comparison of EJ and Kyle as it is a small sample size.. however.. it does compare their two most recent performances so take it for what it's worth.

I would say I may have missed a play or two but my numbers here should be 95% accurate.

KYLE ORTON WEEK 17 2013

TOTAL PASS PLAYS - 48

LINE BREAKDOWN - 7 snaps or 15% of pass plays ( defined as - O-Line clearly messed up and Kyle did not have much of a chance) - (EJ was at 29%)

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 41 snaps or 85% of pass plays ( defined as O-Line did sufficient job and Kyle had time to throw) – ( EJ was at 71%)

UNFORCED KYLE ERROR - 8 snaps or 20% of pass plays where he had time ( unforced error defined as Kyle having time and having unforced accuracy issues) ( EJ was at 34%)

SUMMARY : Orton's protection was much better compared to EJ protection in the Texans game. It is also worth noting that Orton gets rid of the ball very quickly so he helps himself out tremendously.. somewhat negating what the line is doing on most throws

o His percentage of unforced errors is much less than EJ's number from the Texans game. Orton did have several inexcusable throws...

- DECISIVENESS - I would say Orton immediately delivered the ball when hitting the last step of his drop ~75% of the time. He's obviously good at reading the coverage pre-snap and he knows where he wants to go and gets it there quickly

o This does result in a lot of dink and dunk.. however.. there was the occasional long ball

- LONG BALL SKILLS - He is very sharp on the deep seam route ( he hit two beautiful 20 yd plus seam routes in this game) and not very sharp on the fly route down sideline.

- SPECIAL NOTE Kyle Orton made the Eagles jump on a hard count 4 TIMES! This is huge... will be a definite plus for the Bills having a veteran with presence of mind and ability to do hard count

I feel with average QB play they win 10 games. EJ was just not ready yet, game was still to fast for him.

based on what I saw in that Dallas / Philly game last year Orton is certainly capable of at least being an average QB this year for the Bills as long as Hackett doesn't have him taking 5 or 7 step drops all the time

Good analysis. I'm happy that Orton's percentage of unforced errors is noticeably lower than Manuel's (at least in the games you analyzed). To be honest, I was hoping for an even more dramatic difference, but I'll take what I can get.

If his unforced errors percentage in the Eagles game is representative of what he does overall, I hope the Bills take a QB in next year's draft. (Assuming a good one is available.)

Good analysis. I'm happy that Orton's percentage of unforced errors is noticeably lower than Manuel's (at least in the games you analyzed). To be honest, I was hoping for an even more dramatic difference, but I'll take what I can get.

If his unforced errors percentage in the Eagles game is representative of what he does overall, I hope the Bills take a QB in next year's draft. (Assuming a good one is available.)

He did leave a few throws on the table that someone like Manning or Luck would not miss... and I have to think this was one of his best games so I agree about still needing to draft a stud QB for the long term. Of note.. from my observation most of the off throws he had were on intermediate and deep routes.. he is very accurate in the short game

I know it means littlle...but this was a "scouting report" written for Kyle Orton, in December of last year...it is almost as if it were written with EJ's critics in mind:

"plays with a great deal of confidence", "not afraid to throw the ball into tight spots", "throws a very catchable ball", "really nice touch on checkdown and screen passes", "doesn't put his guys in bad spots", "not afraid to rip the ball down the middle of the field", "does really nice job of keeping his eyes down field" "ball will arrive on time"... all the things that people are complaining about in reference to EJ.

http://www.dallascow...9f-6dd3678ebd59

Of course, this is from the Dallas Cowboys web-site, so the scout is comparing Orton, mainly, to Tony Romo... he does note Ortons' lack of mobility and "foot quickness".

Edited by Buftex

Orton career is 59% completion percentage.

I know it means littlle...but this was a "scouting report" written for Kyle Orton, in December of last year...it is almost as if it were written with EJ's critics in mind:

"plays with a great deal of confidence", "not afraid to throw the ball into tight spots", "throws a very catchable ball", "really nice touch on checkdown and screen passes", "doesn't put his guys in bad spots", "not afraid to rip the ball down the middle of the field", "does really nice job of keeping his eyes down field" "ball will arrive on time"... all the things that people are complaining about in reference to EJ.

http://www.dallascow...9f-6dd3678ebd59

Of course, this is from the Dallas Cowboys web-site, so the scout is comparing Orton, mainly, to Tony Romo... he does note Ortons' lack of mobility and "foot quickness".

Well....yeah

The Eagles have one of the worst defenses in recent history. See Kirk Cousins.

Yes the Eagles were bad on D last year.. but Orton basically carved them up. 358 yds with 2 TDs and 2 INTs ( one of the INTs was not on Orton). Not saying he's the next messiah but at least he performed well against a bad D