What is happening with our receivers - Warning - stats

San-O

EJ

• Can't / won't throw down field
  • Horribly inaccurate when he does
  • Several 15 yard passes to Woods could have landed him in the hospital
  • Most of our yards in the passing game are YAC, yet our WR overage under 13 yards per catch meaning they get the ball between the LOS and 5 yards on either side of it
  • No need for a 3rd, 4th or 5th WR as there are not enough balls thrown to #1 & #2.
  • Locks on to the first guy and makes no progressions
  • Before he got his bell rung, Goodwin was averaging about 5 targets a year, if he doesn't get slaughtered every time, he might have caught 1 or 2 on the season.
  • Bills use the speed of their skill players to run a three yards and a cloud of dust offense!
  • But OMG, don't consider using Kyle Orton?!?!?!?

Pete Carroll has found a way to win games, without huge QB/receiving numbers. Defense MAY be part of the formula???

We have the same record as Seattle, so if your point is that you don't need huge QB/WR numbers to win, then I agree. This, however, feels like you have an agenda...

OK, back to our original programming: what's your explanation for the lack of receptions by the Bills receivers?

Explain those away.

Aha, so you do have an agenda, and for some reason, you felt that the other 62 EJ threads weren't enough of a platform for you to express your thoughts.

EJ

• Most of our yards in the passing game are YAC, yet our WR overage under 13 yards per catch meaning they get the ball between the LOS and 5 yards on either side of it
  • No need for a 3rd, 4th or 5th WR as there are not enough balls thrown to #1 & #2.
  • Before he got his bell rung, Goodwin was averaging about 5 targets a year, if he doesn't get slaughtered every time, he might have caught 1 or 2 on the season.
  • Bills use the speed of their skill players to run a three yards and a cloud of dust offense!

Never mind the fact that, coming into week 3, EJ was tied for 3rd in the NFL in completions of over 20 yards--only 1 of which the ball didn't travel 20 yards in the air.

Good grief, the agendas are amazing here.

OK, back to our original programming: what's your explanation for the lack of receptions by the Bills receivers?

Explain those away.

EJ spreads the ball around quite a bit with the limited throwing he does. (We are a running team.)

16/22 throws in Chicago:

Woods 4/78

Williams 2/36

Watkins 3/31

Jackson 3/13

Spiller 3/11

Summers 1/4

16/26 throws in Miami:

Watkins 8/117 (He was literally wide open half of the game)

Chandler 2/27

Jackson 2/27

Gragg 1/14

Spiller 1/9

Woods 1/5

Williams 1/3

23/39 throws in San Diego:

Jackson 8/78

Chandler 5/74

Spiller 3/37

Watkins 2/19

Woods 3/19

Williams 2/11

Edit: I like how EJ performed in the first two games. In the Chargers game, they were throwing all kinds of twists and such at our line and it was having a definite impact on EJ. That will happen sometimes with a young QB. Hopefully he will settle down this week, and our line will pick up these types of defenses better. Oh and the penalites! That game might have been a bit different had we not gotten over 100 yards in penalties calling back critical offensive plays, and defensive holds.

Edited by What a Tuel

EJ

Simply not true....he was throwing down the field in the 1st two games. Some pretty nice passes actually in particular to Watkins and Chandler. Had ONE BAD GAME

Not all the balls are on the money...NO QB THROWS EVERYTHING ON THE MONEY......EJ isnt the most accurate in the world but is throwing receivers open so its also a timing thing.

Ive seen Andrew Luck throw the same passes.....does he suck too?

Which is also the style of the offense the bills employ? Yell at Hackett for that.

THREE FRICKEN GAMES......Watkins had over 100 yards in the Miami game. The 1st game it was Robert Woods with the majority of the WR catches. nuff said.

How the F would you know...your no coach. You dont even know what his progressions were.

When you catch the ball in the middle of the field your gonna get hit

Once again....yell at Hackett and stop focusing every single questionable thing at the QB

Not if your thinking long term

EJ

• No need for a 3rd, 4th or 5th WR as there are not enough balls thrown to #1 & #2. Good point
  • Locks on to the first guy and makes no progressions. Probably true
  • Bills use the speed of their skill players to run a three yards and a cloud of dust offense! Maybe coaches and GM not on same page? Fire me!
  • But OMG, don't consider using Kyle Orton?!?!?!? IMO, they will have no choice by the bye week, if this continues.

If NFL D coordinators know EJ won't throw the ball, the run game will be getting tougher and tougher.

EJ spreads the ball around quite a bit with the limited throwing he does. (We are a running team.)

16/22 throws in Chicago:

Woods 4/78

Williams 2/36

Watkins 3/31

Jackson 3/13

Spiller 3/11

Summers 1/4

16/26 throws in Miami:

Watkins 8/117 (He was literally wide open half of the game)

Chandler 2/27

Jackson 2/27

Gragg 1/14

Spiller 1/9

Woods 1/5

Williams 1/3

23/39 throws in San Diego:

Jackson 8/78

Chandler 5/74

Spiller 3/37

Watkins 2/19

Woods 3/19

Williams 2/11

Edit: I like how EJ performed in the first two games. In the Chargers game, they were throwing all kinds of twists and such at our line and it was having a definite impact on EJ. That will happen sometimes with a young QB. Hopefully he will settle down this week, and our line will pick up these types of defenses better. Oh and the penalites! That game might have been a bit different had we not gotten over 100 yards in penalties calling back critical offensive plays, and defensive holds.

Thank you. Very interesting. I am going to pay more attention to him distributing the ball this weekend.

FYI: I do like the fact they are running the ball. Get C.J. more involved please.

I was on my way to lunch and started thinking about all these weapons they have given to EJ Manuel, and he is not using them much. He should be able to find Woods, Watson, and Williams open on just about any play, and our tight end can run routes too. So can the guys out of the backfield. He has not shown the presence to put the ball in the hands of the receivers. He has had ample time till the San Diego game, when the wind and the rush affected him way too much. I hope he settles in.

Opponents averaging 22 points per game(14th). Buffalo is at 17.3(8th). Defense may be a part of it but like I said, stats can tell any story you want.

There's lies, there's damn lies, and then there's statistics.

People on here tossing around statistics reminds me of baptists tossing around Bible verses. You can find one to "prove" about anything you want.

There's lies, there's damn lies, and then there's statistics.

People on here tossing around statistics reminds me of baptists tossing around Bible verses. You can find one to "prove" about anything you want.

Which is kind of the point of me countering his stats with my own (also why Dean Cain is mocking this thread). If that's what you were getting at then we are on the same page. Seattle is a better team but calling out EJ based on his WR's stats and not taking into account the RB's receiving yards is taking out a big part of their success in the first two games. I would hope EJ can not lean on them as much and get more targets to his WR's but only time will tell (unless you're in the EJ can never improve camp).

Edited by The Wiz

Which is kind of the point of me countering his stats with my own. If that's what you were getting at then we are on the same page. Seattle is a better team but calling out EJ based on his WR's stats and not taking into account the RB's receiving yards is taking out a big part of their success in the first two games. I would hope EJ can not lean on them as much and get more targets to his WR's but only time will tell (unless you're in the EJ can never improve camp).

What I wish is that EJ had that safety valve guy that he just trusts will catch the ball for him when things break down......

Where is Ben Coates when we need him

What I wish is that EJ had that safety valve guy that he just trusts will catch the ball for him when things break down......

Where is Ben Coates when we need him

I get the feeling that's how they have been trying to use the RB's as they have. I don't know what it is about chandler that always makes me nervous but he makes a catch like he did against Miami and then can get hit right in the numbers on another play and drop it (wait, that's what makes me nervous).

If I'm a QB and he's suppose to be my safety valve, I would probably think twice also.

I get the feeling that's how they have been trying to use the RB's as they have. I don't know what it is about chandler that always makes me nervous but he makes a catch like he did against Miami and then can get hit right in the numbers on another play and drop it (wait, that's what makes me nervous).

If I'm a QB and he's suppose to be my safety valve, I would probably think twice also.

I just think this offense needs a TE in the worst way....I still think ASJ is a TE we should have found a way to get onto the team.....big huge target that blocks.