Joe B's Upon Further Review: Chargers at Bills

26CornerBlitz

Upon Further Review: Bills vs. Chargers

By Joe Buscaglia

The Buffalo Bills couldn’t take the positive vibes they accrued over the first two weeks of the season and bring them into their Week Three contest. The Bills suffered their first loss of the year: a 22-10 decision against the impressive San Diego Chargers.

The Bills will get back on the road for their fourth game of the season against another 2-1 team, but before they do, the page must be turned on last week’s loss to the Chargers. With the help of NFL.com’s Game Rewind package and the All-22 film available with it, ‘Upon Further Review’ brings you a detailed review at how each player on the Bills fared in that specific game.

Every week, WGR will provide you with the standouts, the duds and everything in between.

For each player that appeared in the game on offense or defense, you'll see their name in bold, with a set of numbers after it. Example: Ryan Manalac (54, -2, 2.7). The first number (54) represents the snap count of that game, the second (-2) represents the individual player’s plus-minus of positive plays to negative plays in that game. The third number (2.7) represents the weighted Grade Point Average assigned to that player by the author.

Nice Analysis but don't agree the defensive line played as well as he says. When the Bills need pass rush on key 3rd downs, the Chargers 5 man line protected well and Rivers was able to step up and do what he wanted to make back breaking plays. There is no way Preston Brown can run with most NFL TEs.

Gilmore has to bounce back against the Texans receivers this week. Aaron Williams has been the best player in the Bills secondary through 3 games, no question.

He mentioned the receivers only getting 49 yards but I thought they clearly lost in 1 on 1 situations against the Chargers corners. Woods especially was dominated by Flowers.

Everyone is picking on EJ but that is part of being a NFL QB.

Go Bills!

Nice Analysis but don't agree the defensive line played as well as he says. When the Bills need pass rush on key 3rd downs, the Chargers 5 man line protected well and Rivers was able to step up and do what he wanted to make back breaking plays. There is no way Preston Brown can run with most NFL TEs.

Gilmore has to bounce back against the Texans receivers this week. Aaron Williams has been the best player in the Bills secondary through 3 games, no question.

He mentioned the receivers only getting 49 yards but I thought they clearly lost in 1 on 1 situations against the Chargers corners. Woods especially was dominated by Flowers.

Go Bills!

I think the Chargers O-line looks better because Rivers trusts his line enough to wait till the last possible second to throw. While Manual got pressured he had time tho make some throws but didn't because he was already into retreat mode. That's the difference between a ten year pro and a young QB.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Go Bills!

The D played very well, especially the D line. They held them to under 23 pts and got lots of stops in the second half. It was the offense that sputtered the game away IMO.

The D played very well, especially the D line. They held them to under 23 pts and got lots of stops in the second half. It was the offense that sputtered the game away IMO.

Yup. The D eventually settled down while the offense kept playing like crap...except for Freddy. He was trying to lift the team.

I think the Chargers O-line looks better because Rivers trusts his line enough to wait till the last possible second to throw. While Manual got pressured he had time tho make some throws but didn't because he was already into retreat mode. That's the difference between a ten year pro and a young QB.

Agreed. Rivers is probably playing as well as any QB in the NFL. I was super impressed with him. He throws like a girl (no offense to any female athletes :) ) and puts the ball where he needs to put it.

But with most qbs, especially young ones, pressure up the middle will shake them. Manuel was probably rushing his mechanics and sailing the ball. He needs to play better without a doubt but the oline also does.

This is where a big time TE would help. Quick passes, screens, and pop passes to TEs kill pressure. Let's hope they adjust this week. I love that quick pass to FJax.

The D played better in the 2nd half but they were pretty bad in the 1st half. And that SD drive after halftime was a big kick in the balls. I think they convert 3 3rd and longs. That is super deflating.

We have a good D but let's not pretend like it's Seattle. They have a ways to go and they share the blame in the loss as well.

Agreed. Rivers is probably playing as well as any QB in the NFL. I was super impressed with him. He throws like a girl (no offense to any female athletes :) ) and puts the ball where he needs to put it.

But with most qbs, especially young ones, pressure up the middle will shake them. Manuel was probably rushing his mechanics and sailing the ball. He needs to play better without a doubt but the oline also does.

This is where a big time TE would help. Quick passes, screens, and pop passes to TEs kill pressure. Let's hope they adjust this week. I love that quick pass to FJax.

The D played better in the 2nd half but they were pretty bad in the 1st half. And that SD drive after halftime was a big kick in the balls. I think they convert 3 3rd and longs. That is super deflating.

We have a good D but let's not pretend like it's Seattle. They have a ways to go and they share the blame in the loss as well.

No one is pretending its Seatle. They started slow and they acknowledged that. However, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that bad quarter of football was the exception to the rule. They played well and got some 3 and outs and got off the field in the second half.

They put the offense in a position to bring this team into the game but offense was painfully innept. This is not on the D, they kept the Chargers under the magic 23 pts. They are giving up just 17 pts a game. They are not the problem as it stands today.

No one is pretending its Seatle. They started slow and they acknowledged that. However, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that bad quarter of football was the exception to the rule. They played well and got some 3 and outs and got off the field in the second half.

They put the offense in a position to bring this team into the game but offense was painfully innept. This is not on the D, they kept the Chargers under the magic 23 pts. They are giving up just 17 pts a game. They are not the problem as it stands today.

But my point is part of what helps Russell Wilson is their D is much better. It still is a team game. EJ isn't Russell Wilson but our defense isn't Seattle's either. In the first 2 games, they both played better.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

But my point is part of what helps Russell Wilson is their D is much better. It still is a team game. EJ isn't Russell Wilson but our defense isn't Seattle's either. In the first 2 games, they both played better.

I think the Bills D can be as good as the Seatle D. The D kept the opposing D under 23, that should be enough for the O to win the game. Didn't happen. The Bills haven't let up more than 22 pts in the first 3 contests. This type of D can win championships!

Rivers was able to survey the field comfortably for most of the 1st half and the Chargers got away with OPI on several occasions to give Rivers open targets. The Bills waited too long to adjust to the SD plan of attack.

Yes, I think we should trade a couple more first round picks for more playmakers. That's what all the offenses do when their QB struggles. Brady sucked before Gronk.

Yes, I think we should trade a couple more first round picks for more playmakers. That's what all the offenses do when their QB struggles. Brady sucked before Gronk.

Personally, I'd rather have Jimmy Graham than Sammy. And I love Sammy.

Also, since Brady has been the QB, the Pats have spent 2 1st rounders on TE (Graham and Watson) and a 2nd rounder (Gronk). So apparantely, they think a TE is important as well.

The D line played well in run defense but did not generate any pressure on the QB in the first half. They generated only 1 sack late. Rivers is a great accurate passer but I was surprised their OL protected him as well as they did. I thing all the 3 and outs happened in the second half. During the first half, the Chargers passing offense were beating our defense like a drum.

The D line played well in run defense but did not generate any pressure on the QB in the first half. They generated only 1 sack late. Rivers is a great accurate passer but I was surprised their OL protected him as well as they did. I thing all the 3 and outs happened in the second half. During the first half, the Chargers passing offense were beating our defense like a drum.

Yes, This what I thought also.

post chargers Injury report

my apologies if it was already posted

the bodies are piling up. during last week's game against the Bills

Manti Te'o suffered a fractured right foot.

Danny Woodhead suffered a broken right leg

The Bills are really racking up injured opponents so far this year. Marshall and Jeffery are still trying to get healthy.

Thought I'd look a bit deeper

injuries started Week 1 against the Bills: Left guard Matt Slauson and center Roberto Garza both were lost to high-ankle sprains,

The Bills are really racking up injured opponents so far this year. Marshall and Jeffery are still trying to get healthy.

week 2

Knowshon Moreno and his dislocated elbow left the game IIRC

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Meh, not prepared to give them that "very well", especially the D line. The D did get stops, but they allowed SD to dominate ToP and allowed a 7:30 drive ending in a TD to start the 3rd Q - arguably the game could have been different if they'd been able to end that drive on one of the two long 3rd down conversions. Any time the DB are leading the team in tackles, it's time to look carefully at the DL play. They also played their part in the Penalty Follies.

No, sorry, both sides of the Bills played well enough to lose and Bills D doesn't get a pass.

And critically, for 7 minutes 30 seconds at the start of the second half. Two long 3rd down conversions by passing.

We will have to agree to disagree, that's all. Our D let SD offense keep the ball for half the 3rd quarter and answer the points we scored late in the 1st half with a TD to start the 1st half. Way to build some momentum - NOT. You don't get to lay that on "a bad quarter of football", D had at least 2 bad quarters, one in each half.

They did get some 3 and outs, but allowing the other team to keep the ball half the quarter,

I think the Bills D can be as good as the Seatle D. The D kept the opposing D under 23, that should be enough for the O to win the game. Didn't happen. The Bills haven't let up more than 22 pts in the first 3 contests. This type of D can win championships!

Sorry, Sandwhich, you aren't making sense. There is no absolute magic number of points to limit the opponent and say "that's enough to win". A D that can win championships

- does not let the other team's O dominate ToP and keep the ball more than half of 2Q.

- does not have DBs as the top tacklers

- adjusts faster to the other team's gameplan. Our DBs were getting picked all game and we were giving Rivers too much time IMO.

-and finally and most, limits the other team's D to less points than our O scores. That's the bottom line.

post chargers Injury report

my apologies if it was already posted

the bodies are piling up. during last week's game against the Bills

Manti Te'o suffered a fractured right foot.

Danny Woodhead suffered a broken right leg

Bills d are definitely a tough bunch of BIG STRONG azz kickers.

If nothing else buddy/Whaley changed that full circle. Remember the days of 200 # LB under Jauron?? Aw23 would have played WILL on that team with manny lawson at tackle.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood