Question...for those what have watched each game

TheBackupQB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we had soo much success with EJ rolling out the pocket in game one...it gave him time and options and it seem to frustrate the bears defense...why in the last two games we've gone away from it?

There were several plays that got him out of the pocket yesterday, and he elected to either run or dump off. Don't have All-22, so don't know if the WRs were covered or EJ was too hesitant to throw.

You are right. Decimated was the wrong word. Totally dominated would perhaps better describe the OL against the Chargers.

You didn't watch the game if you believe the OL played anything other than a miserable, terrible, no-good, awful game yesterday. From run blocking to pass blocking, the unit looked terrible. Especially Pears who is the worst thing unleashed on humanity since Ebola.

Go back and watch the game. This just iosn't true with regard to the pass protection. Even a "rookie" like EJ should be able to count to 4-mississippi and throw or run away.

And you don't run back into the endzone and take a sack...

Go back and watch the game. This just iosn't true with regard to the pass protection. Even a "rookie" like EJ should be able to count to 4-mississippi and throw or run away.

Go back and watch the entire game, not just one highlight bad play.

You don't know what you're watching on the o-line if you grade them anything other than a D- or below. This isn't to excuse EJ, he was awful. But you can't just ignore how poorly the line played. They couldn't open a running lane or maintain a pocket.

I think the OL struggled at points, rattled EJ early, and played with footsteps in his head the rest of the game. I thought that even though we won in Chicago, EJ left me with some question marks. I was really optimistic after the Dolphins game. He made some great reads and throws. This week not so much, and I think he played rattled after the first series or two.

the OL was being decimated yesterday forcing EJ to make bad throes and take huge sacks.

they had a running game of sorts when they weren't called back due to a holding penalty

Problems as I see them:

Lack of effective run game.

O-line allowing pressure but EJ is panicking too soon when he sees it. He has more time but gives up too soon.

Still playing too conservative. Afraid to throw in tight spaces. Afraid to let his WRs to make the play.

Worried that he regressed while defense and Fred Jackson picked up their play. It was a ten point game in the 3rd Q. D made stops, got EJ the ball, but he played even worse. Very disappointed.

You didn't watch the game if you believe the OL played anything other than a miserable, terrible, no-good, awful game yesterday. From run blocking to pass blocking, the unit looked terrible. Especially Pears who is the worst thing unleashed on humanity since Ebola Cornell Green.

Fixed

4 man fronts were harassing and sacking EJ.

All you had to do was listen the the commentators .

Problems as I see them:

Lack of effective run game.

O-line allowing pressure but EJ is panicking too soon when he sees it. He has more time but gives up too soon.

Still playing too conservative. Afraid to throw in tight spaces. Afraid to let his WRs to make the play.

Worried that he regressed while defense and Fred Jackson picked up their play. It was a ten point game in the 3rd Q. D made stops, got EJ the ball, but he played even worse. Very disappointed.

The Defense may have picked up the rushing attack

BUT

I stopped keeping track after the 4th BIG PLAY gain by the Chargers

4 man fronts were harassing and sacking EJ.

All you had to do was listen the the commentators .

Harassing is probably a good word, the pocket wasn't great. The worst result in all of it wasn't the sacks, hurries, or hits, but the way EJ handled it when he had the protection and time. Totally rattled yesterday. Hopefully he can fix that part of his game quickly, or else we are screwed.

Go back and watch the entire game, not just one highlight bad play.

You don't know what you're watching on the o-line if you grade them anything other than a D- or below. This isn't to excuse EJ, he was awful. But you can't just ignore how poorly the line played. They couldn't open a running lane or maintain a pocket.

That was just one low-light play. The o-line wasn't great, but there were few jail breaks. As many here have pointed out, when your opponents completely direspects the pass, they just load up against the run. Not many otions for the o-line then.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could understand what I was watching. Thanks for the help, though.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I think the OL struggled at points, rattled EJ early, and played with footsteps in his head the rest of the game. I thought that even though we won in Chicago, EJ left me with some question marks. I was really optimistic after the Dolphins game. He made some great reads and throws. This week not so much, and I think he played rattled after the first series or two.

I think that this is likely a good assessment. I noticed late in the game that he seemed to have regressed to his habit from last season where he was hurrying things(going too quickly through his reads)......something he seemed to have fixed in weeks 1&2.

Edited by Dibs

That was just one low-light play. The o-line wasn't great, but there were few jail breaks. As many here have pointed out, when your opponents completely direspects the pass, they just load up against the run. Not many otions for the o-line then.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could understand what I was watching. Thanks for the help, though. As many

No, you didn't understand what you were watching if you think the OLine played well enough to win yesterday. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

I think that this is likely a good assessment. I noticed late in the game that he seemed to have regressed to his habit from last season where he was hurrying things(going too quickly through his reads)......something he seemed to have fixed in weeks 1&2.

This can be really good or bad. You could take it to mean that EJ isn't nearly as bad as he showed yesterday, and SD did a good job of getting him off his game. Or we have founded the most glaring weakness in our QB play and it will damn him for the rest of the season. The decision will have to be conscious to overcome it. We saw with confidence, EJ stand in the pocket, take the hit, and deliver the ball against both Chicago and Miami, he needed to that this week but refused. He has 6 days to get over this because Houston is going to be in his face for 60 minutes. He cannot allow himself to get frazzled, it would be best for him to have actually stood up and taken a few sacks and slowed things down for himself rather than hurry.