Travis Henry to Philadelphia

marck

I have been thinking about logical destinations for Travis Henry to end up at and after much thought I believe the Eagles may be the most logical destination.

1. After the Eagles get blown out of the Super Bowl they will realize that they need a bass possession style running back.

2. Assuming that Alexander, Johnson and James all resign with their respective teams and that the top running backs are all gone prior to the 31st pick, this leaves very few viable running back choices left.

3. Taking this into account the Bills should hold onto Travis until draft day and see if the scenario I laid out does come to pass. If so the market value for TH goes up and since TD is looking for a 2nd round pick or a player, the 31st pick is pretty much like a 2nd round choice. To balance the deal the Bills may have to give up a 4th or 5th and might just be able to make the deal by combining Josh Reed and Travis Henry for the Eagles 1st and 6th round pick. I think this deal would be excellent for both teams.

4. With the 31st and 52nd picks, Buffalo can move to make improvements on areas that need shoring up after free agencey.

As always, looking for feedback as I have not seen any "Why not Henry to the Eagles" posts yet.

I have been thinking about logical destinations for Travis Henry to end up at and after much thought I believe the Eagles may be the most logical destination.

1.  After the Eagles get blown out of the Super Bowl they will realize that they need a bass possession style running back.

2.  Assuming that Alexander, Johnson and James all resign with their respective teams and that the top running backs are all gone prior to the 31st pick, this leaves very few viable running back choices left.

3.  Taking this into account the Bills should hold onto Travis until draft day and see if the scenario I laid out does come to pass.  If so the market value for TH goes up and since TD is looking for a 2nd round pick or a player, the 31st pick is pretty much like a 2nd round choice.  To balance the deal the Bills may have to give up a 4th or 5th and might just be able to make the deal by combining Josh Reed and Travis Henry for the Eagles 1st and 6th round pick.  I think this deal would be excellent for both teams.

4.  With the 31st and 52nd picks, Buffalo can move to make improvements on areas that need shoring up after free agencey.

As always, looking for feedback as I have not seen any "Why not Henry to the Eagles" posts yet.

221960[/snapback]

They already have two starting runningbacks, why would they need a third?

Westbrook is not built to withstand inside the tackle running and is mostly a flex back. Buckhalter has been injured multiple times and has not proven himself as a viable NFL running back.

In addition, the Eagles need to have more balance on offense and need a "hammer" type running back which will assist them in running out the clock in the 4th quarter of games and also in late season games where the potential of inclement weather impacts the passing game.

When teams are one dimensional as the Eagles are, teams will focus on shutting down the passing game and you will see that start to happen next year unless they do get a truly viable running game.

They already have two starting runningbacks, why would they need a third?

221962[/snapback]

Westbrook is not built to withstand inside the tackle running and is mostly a flex back.  Buckhalter has been injured multiple times and has not proven himself as a viable NFL running back.

In addition, the Eagles need to have more balance on offense and need a "hammer" type running back which will assist them in running out the clock in the 4th quarter of games and also in late season games where the potential of inclement weather impacts the passing game.

When teams are one dimensional as the Eagles are, teams will focus on shutting down the passing game and you will see that start to happen next year unless they do get a truly viable running game.

221972[/snapback]

again, explain why the Eagles should be disappointed in Westbrook this year! Also, you think Henry could function in a complicated West Coast system? I would take westbrook over henry every time.

221972[/snapback]

Teams are not focused on shutting down McNabb now? :lol:

1.  After the Eagles get blown out of the Super Bowl they will realize that they need a bass possession style running back.

2.  Assuming that Alexander, Johnson and James all resign with their respective teams and that the top running backs are all gone prior to the 31st pick, this leaves very few viable running back choices left.

3.  Taking this into account the Bills should hold onto Travis until draft day and see if the scenario I laid out does come to pass.  If so the market value for TH goes up and since TD is looking for a 2nd round pick or a player, the 31st pick is pretty much like a 2nd round choice.  To balance the deal the Bills may have to give up a 4th or 5th and might just be able to make the deal by combining Josh Reed and Travis Henry for the Eagles 1st and 6th round pick.  I think this deal would be excellent for both teams.

4.  With the 31st and 52nd picks, Buffalo can move to make improvements on areas that need shoring up after free agencey.

221960[/snapback]

Can't say that you have convinced me, but I found this funny. I just finished the Bills 2004 season on Maddden. When I was getting ready for next season, I put Henry and Bledsoe on the trade block. Guess what? I traded him to the Eagles for the #18 pick overall...just kind of funny. It was the lowest pick I was offered by the computer. Incidently, if the Madden magic plays out, the 49'ers will draft the best QB available in the draft, and trade a second round pick for Drew Bledsoe, to Buffalo. The Bills end up getting in a bidding war with Denver (?) for John Kitna, and end up having to settle for Tim Rattay to back up Losman for next season. Of course, if any of this meant anything, the Bills would beat the Rams, 42-31 in this years Super Bowl. We know that could never happen, Martz would never opt to kick a field goal! :lol:

ps- in my scenario, the Bills biggest free agent acquisition is Anthony Thomas (the A-Train) who, so far is better than McGahee, although rated 3 points lower. The Bills #1 draft pick is a DT, named Kelvin Williams, who is replacing Pat Williams (departed for the Cardinals). They also take a FB in the second round named Danielson, who the scouts compare to Mike Alstott. He is a bull! Shelton retired in my scenario!

The notion doesn't strike me as impossible because the NFL if nothing else is a "me-too" league when it comes to success. I think the success of Corey Dillon has done alot for the prospects of Henry not because they are equivalent as players, but simply because it makes the story of a former Pro Bolw RB maing the difference for a team a much easier and believable story to tell.

The other extraordinary thing I have seen recently is that apparently the Eagles are in very good shape cap wise (its hard to understand how after their imvestments in McNabb and Owens) and it appears they can afford to pay for an FA RB. Hoqwever, this cap room also makes them a likely target for FA RBs like Jordan and Alexander or moving up in the draft to select a well-regarded rookie RB by packaging thier #31 and moving up.

Thic could be but does not strike me as a likely move at all.

The Patriots will stop McNabb, take away the passing game and shut down Westbrook.

I think this game could be of blowout proportions.

221976[/snapback]

Yet if they had Henry they could just simply pound it out up the middle. Yep thats been the Patsys D biggest problem this year :lol:

Westbrook actually stands a good chance of having a big game next Sunday. The Pats LB are more vulnerable to backs who can stretch the field sideline to sideline, due to the fact that as good a group they are they are not fast.

Let me explain in a different way.

The Eagles for one year (2004) used a 65/35 percent pass/run ratio. Do you really think that is going to be the plan year after year?

Since its logical to assume the Eagles will want to run a more balanced attack there will be a need for more carries and also a need for an inside running game.

Many of the yards that Westbrook gets are based on either spread formations or plays that sweep the ends. How long will a player of his small size, hold up if asked to pound it 20 to 25 times per game.

This is why a back of Travis Henry's caliber makes so much sense. He can provide the Eagle offense with more balance, making Westbrook even more explosive, and also open things up for the passing game. Lastly, late in a game when the need is to control the clock, grind out first downs you really can't use a Westbrook type of back.

I hope this explained my logic.

quote=slothrop,Jan 28 2005, 03:15 PM]

again, explain why the Eagles should be disappointed in Westbrook this year! Also, you think Henry could function in a complicated West Coast system? I would take westbrook over henry every time.

221979[/snapback]

Let me explain in a different way.

The Eagles for one year (2004) used a 65/35 percent pass/run ratio.  Do you really think that is going to be the plan year after year?

Since its logical to assume the Eagles will want to run a more balanced attack there will be a need for more carries and also a need for an inside running game.

Many of the yards that Westbrook gets are based on either spread formations or plays that sweep the ends.  How long will a player of his small size, hold up if asked to pound it 20 to 25 times per game.

This is why a back of Travis Henry's caliber makes so much sense.  He can provide the Eagle offense with more balance, making Westbrook even more explosive, and also open things up for the passing game.  Lastly, late in a game when the need is to control the clock, grind out first downs you really can't use a Westbrook type of back.

I hope this explained my logic.

How many philly games have you watched! T.O. Gets the credit for this year's success, but Westbrook is the KEY reason they are in the super bowl.

Henry is one IQ point above retard - it would be comical to see him placed into Andy Reid's system.

...it makes NO sense. What makes you think TH would be a #2 RB in Philly behind Westbrook in a similar scenario that played out with the Bills this past season? He has stated he wants an opportunity to be a #1 back with another club. He won't get that in Philly because Westbrook's the guy.

I have provided football based reasons for points you have tried to make. You simply recant the same line.

I have multiple satellite feeds and have seen all Eagle games this season. So I hope this answers your question on that account.

You keep saying Westbrook is the reason for the Eagles success this season. In all actuality, the real reason for the Eagles success is that they play in the NFC East which means 12 of their 16 games were against teams that on the whole were totally awful. The other four games they played against the AFC North and they got their tails kicked by the Steelers, barley got by the Ravens without Jamel Lewis, and beat the Browns (whoppe). The Bengal game was not even to be considered since Philly had already shut down for the playoffs.

Assume then the Eagles record to 15-1 with the two losses late in the season tossed out: Where are the quality wins?

New York Giants/Dallas Cowboys/Washington Redskins - Real tough feasting on three 6-10 teams. That's six wins right their.

Green Bay/Minnesota - Decent wins against teams that were fatally flawed in their ability to play pass defense.

Detroit/Chicago - You must be kidding?

Cleveland - They struggled with the Browns and being a Bills fan, you know what a joke the Brownies were.

Carolina - Played them when half their roster was on I/R.

Next year the NFC has to be much better, they will be playing a better AFC division and also will have a 1st place schedule.

I don't think their offensive philosophy will hold up in 2005.

Now, unless you have any well thought-out reasons, please don't respond back.

How many philly games have you watched! T.O. Gets the credit for this year's success, but Westbrook is the KEY reason they are in the super bowl.

Henry is one IQ point above retard - it would be comical to see him placed into Andy Reid's system.

222016[/snapback]

I've had the misfortune of living here for the past few years. The Eagles would add an RB for the right price. Yes, Westbrook is good for them but count his snaps, even in the SB. Dorsey Levens has been getting half the snaps and ALL the inside runs. The Eagles had ideas of using Correll Buckhalter as their pounder but he keeps getting injured. Westbrook is very much like Dave Meggett and the Eagles have been very cautious about overextending him. The only problem with the Henry scenario is that Travis isn't a very good receiver or blocker. For a #2 pick the Eagles could draft a guy and stay with a Westbrook/Levens/new guy three headed monster at RB. I just don't see them as willing to fork over what we want. They will get an RB this off-season though so that thought was good.

221960[/snapback]

LOL, I don't see them taking Reed and giving us the 52th pick in the draft for him!

I have provided football based reasons for points you have tried to make.  You simply recant the same line.

I have multiple satellite feeds and have seen all Eagle games this season.  So I hope this answers your question on that account.

You keep saying Westbrook is the reason for the Eagles success this season.  In all actuality, the real reason for the Eagles success is that they play in the NFC East which means 12 of their 16 games were against teams that on the whole were totally awful.  The other four games they played against the AFC North and they got their tails kicked by the Steelers, barley got by the Ravens without Jamel Lewis, and beat the Browns (whoppe).  The Bengal game was not even to be considered since Philly had already shut down for the playoffs.

Assume then the Eagles record to 15-1 with the two losses late in the season tossed out:  Where are the quality wins?

New York Giants/Dallas Cowboys/Washington Redskins - Real tough feasting on three 6-10 teams.  That's six wins right their.

Green Bay/Minnesota - Decent wins against teams that were fatally flawed in their ability to play pass defense.

Detroit/Chicago - You must be kidding?

Cleveland - They struggled with the Browns and being a Bills fan, you know what a joke the Brownies were.

Carolina - Played them when half their roster was on I/R.

Next year the NFC has to be much better, they will be playing a better AFC division and also will have a 1st place schedule.

I don't think their offensive philosophy will hold up in 2005.

Now, unless you have any well thought-out  reasons, please don't respond  back.

222061[/snapback]

First, the NFL is not the BCS - "quality wins" is a meaningless term. Philly is in the Superbowl. Full stop.

Second, here is why Westbrook is a far better RB than Henry for Philly. Your claim that you "don't think their offensive philosophy will hold up in 2005," is incredible considering that Andy Reid is dedicated to their west-coast hybrid system. They drafted Westbrook with that system in mind because the can stretch the field by lining him up as a wide out, creating serious match up issues. They are also able to use multiple formations using westbrook because he has taken well to the mental agility required by Reid's system. Simply stated, Westbrook is the perfect back for them.

The same can not be said for Henry. He is not a credible threat when lined up wide. He also can not handle the mental requirements of the system. Henry barely could handle a scaled back version of the Bills' system. He would CONSTANTLY screw up blitz pickups, run the wrong way on plays, and line up incorrectly. He is a stupid one dimensional back who would comically fail in Reid's system.

>>>>>The same can not be said for Henry. He is not a credible threat when lined up wide. He also can not handle the mental requirements of the system. Henry barely could handle a scaled back version of the Bills' system. He would CONSTANTLY screw up blitz pickups, run the wrong way on plays, and line up incorrectly. He is a stupid one dimensional back who would comically fail in Reid's system.<<<<<

Well said. If it were I who posted this, I would be attacked by a childish little twit who vowed to stop reading my posts but instead stalks me, and feels OK with posting racial slurs.

In any event, I agree 100%!!!

I think that sadly, TH is a perfect fit for the Steelers, not Philly. In the Steeler offense, he would not be required to catch, run patterns, think, nor probably even block. He could run behind their deep, strong, talented OL that was SO good that a rookie qb was able to have a standout season. Travis IS a strong runner and he could play, imo, a prominent role on the Steeler offense. Also, Cowher would not coddle him nor try to soothe his feelings. No way!

The front page of TBD has many articles stating that TD is open to a trade with the phish. Would he be willing to trade with Pitt, toward which he probably has bad feelings? I hope so IF he could hoodwink them for the highest possible value, which again, imo, will be far less than the consensus here believes.

It is, and will get even more interesting to see how the Bills are best able to rid themselves of this person.

Again, good post Bro!!!!!!!!

The front page of TBD has many articles stating that TD is open to a trade with the phish. Would he be willing to trade with Pitt, toward which he probably has bad feelings? I hope so IF he could hoodwink them for the highest possible value, which again, imo, will be far less than the consensus here believes.

222366[/snapback]

Hoodwink the Steelers. Not after we jumped ahead of them in the draft to grab Ryan Denney a couple of years ago. They won't let TD get the best of them again! :lol: