et tu, u2?

¶ dear bono, if that, of course, is your real name:

¶ thank you very much for the generous gift you provided us addled, grammyfied, maroon 5 masses. it's not every day a world-acclaimed and renown "rock star!" chooses to or is capable of reaching a multi-million-dollar deal with a corporation to provide us the courtesy of having our itunes accounts hacked for the privilege of receiving what you so gently call "a gift."

¶ some would call this an act of desperation to bring much-needed buzz to two fading, aging has-beens. but don't worry, i happen to chalk it up to sheer self-indulgence. after all, it's not fair that all these spammers get to fill our inboxes for free and without name-recognition. why not cash in on the nigerian prince junk-mail wave while you can and have the, ahem, "edge," in suggesting that this, in fact, is art.

¶ good for you. i hope it works out well and you continue to produce more tin-eared bunk that i'll continue choosing to ignore.

¶ but who am i to dictate taste, as this is a personnel issue after all. and i'll not begrudge what others consider to be hip or hep, except when it comes to the closeted nsynch poser jason laconfora (but that -- he? -- is an inside joke, after all).

¶ we could stop here, but why, when there are more important issues to address, holes to dig, and windmills to tilt.

¶ the real problem some of us humble listeners have is this sudden attempt by you to reclaim your supposed "punk-rock" roots by including an ode to the ramones, the clash and johnny thunders, of all people.

¶ we're going on 40 years of u2's existence, and we're far closer to zooropa than we ever were to boy or october. and i'm not entirely sure either of those two albums had actual "i wanna be sedated" revelations as opposed to "rock the casbah" hot-hit pretentions. perhaps, i'm guilty of stretching things just a little, because there was an actual time when you and u2 actually provided a voice to the dis-enfranchised, and stomped a doc martin or three.

¶ but to suggest now, 30-plus years later, that this has been your reason for breathing, your inspiration and muse all along seems very much like a boldly calculated attempt at revisionist history, as if the pithy anthems and disco rhythms you delivered for much of the past 15-20 years never existed.

¶ i'll certainly give you your punk-rock roots, but let's agree that they spent much of the 90s devolving into coldplay aspirations.

¶ this reeks of another sellout, a chance to, as they say on wall street, to rebrand a tired label.

¶ what's worse is how convenient it is to cling to the past by comparing yourselves to dead artists incapable of defending their reputations in the face of a corporate sellout band cashing in on the degenerate legends who paid the price the hard way in a rigged business where the beautiful losers usually cash out far too early and the survivors keep growing old and fat.

¶ jw

Edited by john wawrow

I contacted my HR department yesterday and they said I had to like U2 and should be thankful for all they provide me. I was pissed

:devil:

¶ but who am i to dictate taste, as this is a personnel issue after all. and i'll not begrudge what others consider to be hip or hep...

I contacted my HR department yesterday and they said I had to like U2 and should be thankful for all they provide me. I was pissed

:devil:

"Indie stardom doesn't mean much when you're still almost broke at the end of the year, and neither does having a bunch of critics telling you how great you are."

~Chicago Reader, 1989.

¶ dear bono, if that, of course, is your real name:

¶ thank you very much for the generous gift you provided us addled, grammyfied, maroon 5 masses. it's not every day a world-acclaimed and renown "rock star!" chooses to or is capable of reaching a multi-million-dollar deal with a corporation to provide us the courtesy of having our itunes accounts hacked for the privilege of receiving what you so gently call "a gift."

¶ some would call this an act of desperation to bring much-needed buzz to two fading, aging has-beens. but don't worry, i happen to chalk it up to sheer self-indulgence. after all, it's not fair that all these spammers get to fill our inboxes for free and without name-recognition. why not cash in on the nigerian prince junk-mail wave while you can and have the, ahem, "edge," in suggesting that this, in fact, is art.

¶ good for you. i hope it works out well and you continue to produce more tin-eared bunk that i'll continue choosing to ignore.

¶ but who am i to dictate taste, as this is a personnel issue after all. and i'll not begrudge what others consider to be hip or hep, except when it comes to the closeted nsynch poser jason laconfora (but that -- he? -- is an inside joke, after all).

¶ we could stop here, but why, when there are more important issues to address, holes to dig, and windmills to tilt.

¶ the real problem some of us humble listeners have is this sudden attempt by you to reclaim your supposed "punk-rock" roots by including an ode to the ramones, the clash and johnny thunders, of all people.

¶ we're going on 40 years of u2's existence, and we're far closer to zooropa than we ever were to boy or october. and i'm not entirely sure either of those two albums had actual "i wanna be sedated" revelations as opposed to "rock the casbah" hot-hit pretentions. perhaps, i'm guilty of stretching things just a little, because there was an actual time when you and u2 actually provided a voice to the dis-enfranchised, and stomped a doc martin or three.

¶ but to suggest now, 30-plus years later, that this has been your reason for breathing, your inspiration and muse all along seems very much like a boldly calculated attempt at revisionist history, as if the pithy anthems and disco rhythms you delivered for much of the past 15-20 years never existed.

¶ i'll certainly give you your punk-rock roots, but let's agree that they spent much of the 90s devolving into coldplay aspirations.

¶ this reeks of another sellout, a chance to, as they say on wall street, to rebrand a tired label.

¶ what's worse is how convenient it is to cling to the past by comparing yourselves to dead artists incapable of defending their reputations in the face of a corporate sellout band cashing in on the degenerate legends who paid the price the hard way in a rigged business where the beautiful losers usually cash out far too early and the survivors keep growing old and fat.

¶ jw

I was a U2 fan through "The Unforgettable Fire." They began selling out after that. The force-fed iTunes bullschit is embarrassing. An album full of 4+ minute songs to honor punk rock? Swing. Miss.

Yeah... It came up on my wife's iPhone and I yelled @ my 16 year old son... He is always putting crap on her phone. So he doesn't have to clog his iPhone up... :lol: He replied back: "I don't even know who U2 is... Anyway, they are pretty gay (not that there is anything wrong with that)." Yeah, likely excuse... We have punishment for young punks!

:lol:

Pretty despicable I do say... Good thing I wasn't Adrian Peterson and made him go cut a switch and grab a handful of leaves!

Eff you Bono!

This would be an issue if I used iTunes. Well I don't so I don't give a ****.

I'm surprised you say this because, traditionally, you are a very kind, caring and compassionate human being. :D

Well if you wanna do the duet at karaoke let me know. We are gonna have to go with the Mary j blige/Bono version.

You can be mary j.

:lol:

U2 is desperately trying to stay relevant way past their expiration date. They have mind boggling wealth.and a guitar player, who was incredibly lucky to be in the right place at the right time. And knew how to use guitar efx. because he sure as schitt cannot play.

Soon they will find their groove yet continue to pull in obscene dollars on the Vegas circuit just like the stones did/do. The glimmer twins realized decades ago, why write anymore because people pay big for the old hits. for them it works, and works well. i do not know if U2's catalog can produce the same same results with their fans now getting long in the tooth.Earlier, This summers European stones tour had a large percentage of very young new fans. Everyone is more than happy to put down mega bucks to see a 71 year old jagger sing get off my cloud. Any new tunes from them would have just signaled a mass pee break for the crowd. Their business model works and works well. Play the war horses, get off stage and count the money. Everyone goes home very happy. fans included.

Bono, needs to realize, he is not going to change the world. His, sunglass style needs to be shelved. he looks like a clown now. he needs to have a cup of tea with Jagger and ask for the blueprints. And take what he can get which is still substantial. Play the old hits, and it is still not to late to find a guitar player that can play a simple three chord progression instead of the Edge's even more limiting two chord tunes with tremolo.

U2 is desperately trying to stay relevant way past their expiration date. They have mind boggling wealth.and a guitar player, who was incredibly lucky to be in the right place at the right time. And knew how to use guitar efx. because he sure as schitt cannot play.

Soon they will find their groove yet continue to pull in obscene dollars on the Vegas circuit just like the stones did/do. The glimmer twins realized decades ago, why write anymore because people pay big for the old hits. for them it works, and works well. i do not know if U2's catalog can produce the same same results with their fans now getting long in the tooth.Earlier, This summers European stones tour had a large percentage of very young new fans. Everyone is more than happy to put down mega bucks to see a 71 year old jagger sing get off my cloud. Any new tunes from them would have just signaled a mass pee break for the crowd. Their business model works and works well. Play the war horses, get off stage and count the money. Everyone goes home very happy. fans included.

Bono, needs to realize, he is not going to change the world. His, sunglass style needs to be shelved. he looks like a clown now. he needs to have a cup of tea with Jagger and ask for the blueprints. And take what he can get which is still substantial. Play the old hits, and it is still not to late to find a guitar player that can play a simple three chord progression instead of the Edge's even more limiting two chord tunes with tremolo.

The other problem is that the Stones' songs are actually fun and rooted in the blues, which is a language more listeners understand. U2 is so damned self-serious that there is a limited shelf-life.

Read much was referring to the stones! A Bigger bang had one blues tune.

Any time you want discuss the Stones be my guest.

The topic set by the OP was U2, not Stones. You did not quote any post and wrote "Fan of the band, like their latest". Considering it was an incomplete sentence, it was open to interpretation. So before you get into the condescending 'read much' line, look at what you posted and how it was without any reference.

Read much was referring to the stones! A Bigger bang had one blues tune.

Any time you want discuss the Stones be my guest.

Love the "read much" line. It's a mainstay in a civil, mature conversation, for sure.

I hope users make a stink big enough so that this doesn't become a popular marketing tactic. I doubt it though. I feel like the bigshots got what they wanted on this deal, more than enough to drown out the complaints of their customers. I know U2 feels just fine about the $100 million payday.

It's thoroughly disgusting for these companies to deliver unsolicited CONTENT to users. It's a big step beyond spam. It's not the end of the world, but it makes me puke. U2 sucks. I don't want that ****. Don't mess with my music collection. My next phone will not be an iphone.

would have been so much smarter to say, hey apple users, U2 has their new album on itunes for you to download free of charge...instead they did what people fear the most with the electronic age, they took control of their device for something that wasn't necessary(ie a software update)...and I am not a U2 hater, i kind of like their music

I hope users make a stink big enough so that this doesn't become a popular marketing tactic. I doubt it though. I feel like the bigshots got what they wanted on this deal, more than enough to drown out the complaints of their customers. I know U2 feels just fine about the $100 million payday.

It's thoroughly disgusting for these companies to deliver unsolicited CONTENT to users. It's a big step beyond spam. It's not the end of the world, but it makes me puke. U2 sucks. I don't want that ****. Don't mess with my music collection. My next phone will not be an iphone.

Edited by The Poojer

i was thinking the same thing last week....not sure when the record sales numbers come out, looking at billboard and i don't see anything in either regular chart or digital albums...that kind of makes me feel a bit better if that is the case...

Do do these downloads count as record "sales"? So did this album go quintillion platinum in one day? Will it be referred to in the future as the single most downloaded album in history?

Edited by The Poojer

i was thinking the same thing last week....not sure when the record sales numbers come out, looking at billboard and i don't see anything in either regular chart or digital albums...that kind of makes me feel a bit better if that is the case...

Could you imagine if it did count. I was laughing at everyone because I thought it came with the new iPhone 6. But looked at my iTunes and there it was. All by it's lonesome.

Do do these downloads count as record "sales"? So did this album go quintillion platinum in one day? Will it be referred to in the future as the single most downloaded album in history?

Good question, Chef. I've been out of the game for awhile, but at one time record sales (like book sales) was estimated on the number of units shipped to retailers (combined with other data). Obviously any kind of manufactured measurement (and they are all manufactured) can be manipulated.

i don't have itunes so i got it from a "less than above board" site :devil:

I try to be legit. If I can get something before it's officially released via the underground I may do it. Or if I'm just trying to see if I like something. But I pretty much always buy a hard copy of the stuff I really like. In fact, I typically end up buying more than one copy over time. The only time I pirate something (other than those I already acknowledged) is if it isn't available legitimately for sale. The artist deserves to be paid, IMO.