Price getting slammed on Falcon's board.

PIZ

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love peerless now that we got W. Mcgahee

221922[/snapback]

and just think how many people DIDN'T want to see peerless tagged? apparantly it was too "risky"........haha

same people who think it's a bad idea to tag jennings this year.......

If the cost was right in terms of our cap I would sign him in a hot second.

Breaking up is hard to do, so I guess most of the whining we see on TSW is from fans who feel like he rejected them when he wanted to go home to be a #1. However, I doubt he will be released (unless someone can demonstrate how an accelerated cap hit from cutting him wouldn't make the AT cap situation worse) and even if released, it would be an act of charity on his part to come here because the market will probably pay him more scratch than we want to pay at WR and I don't see that happening. However, I would sign him in a hot second if he wanted to come here at the right price because it would make our team dominant in many ways. I see the issues raised in this way:

1. The prime benefit to us is that suddenly we would look like the highflying Rams in terms of weapons we could put on the field. Opposing teams would have their hands full trying to figure out what their DB matc-ups are going to be to cover a player with the proven speed rep of Evans, with the proven athletic rep of Moulds and a player who caught 94 passes in his best year with the Bills and who was Moulds' equal in TD production for us. Opposinf forces had fits deciding whether to double Moulds or PP when they were both here and now they would have to factor in the likely need to at least put their fasted DB on Evans instead of Price or does he need to be doubled. Who cares what they choose because actually our bread and butter would be to run WM who now faces a dime defense and gets to stiff arm DBs instead of LBs.

2. Look at Price's stats as a Bill and you would see a player who increased his number of catches, yards per catch and TDs each year he was here. Not wanting him seems silly to me based on his past production as a Bill and seems more based on observers personality assessment rather than his on field play.

3. Usng his lack of production in AT as a standrard to predict his production IF he were to return to Buffalo seems flawed to me. He never produced like a #1 in AT well who cares he wouldn't be a #1 here. He never produced with a unique QB like Vick and again who cares because our QB is not going to be or play like Vick.

4. Complaints about his personality seem misguided to me. He got tagged as a Bill which no player likes, but he generally kept his mouth shut, cooperated with TDs efforts and helped us steal from AT. Bills from Moulds to Bledsoe spoke highly of him and urged TD to sign him. His main problem for us were some untimely fumbles, but they always came when he was striggling for an extra yard and from a second hit after the guy nipping at his ankle set him up, rather than him pulling a Deion Sanders and dropping like a fly whenever he got touched.

I doubt PP will be available but I would sign him in a fash because most of all I love to watch WM run and that would happen a lot with PP here.

2003. Price catches 64 balls. Vick plays 5 games. Falcons are 230/460 passing for the season.

2004. Price catches 45 balls. Vick plays 15 games. Falcons are 217/395 passing for the season.

Assumably, the presence of Vick and the attention that defenders have to pay him should have been an advantage to receivers, as defenders leave coverage and chase the qb. Now, there is a case to be made for the passing directed to Crumpler, but it seems that Price went down a notch. The Atlanta board folks certainly feel that that is so, and they watched the Falcons weekly.

Price was a very good #2 and probably still could be. However we now have evans. Price is not the body type to be a #3 which involves catching the ball in the middle.

Now that said, Price got a lot of money in Atlanta, that he didn't deserve. He also is taking a lot of flak that he doesn't deserve. The blame for a lot of not only Prices failing but every WR there is that Mike Vick is a great athlete, but a horrible QB. He has a great arm, but his accuracy sucks and his ability to look for or find and open receiver is worse then a pop warner 2nd stringer. He needs to pick up 15 pounds and go become the next barry Sanders, because unless he learns pocket presence and the ability to involve the other 10 guys on the field, he will continiue to fail.

Price was a very good #2 and probably still could be.  However we now have evans.  Price is not the body type to be a #3 which involves catching the ball in the middle. 

222278[/snapback]

That ignores the fact that most of his big plays came from the slot with Josh Reed playing outside him.

Except, Price was running flies, and out patterns while Reed was running posts, in effect picking off defenders.

222286[/snapback]

Not necessarily. For example, the 75 yard TD in the Snow Bowl was nothing more than a skinny post that he stopped and reversed after catching the ball. That's one example.

The fact is, Peerless is tougher to cover in the slot because most times he's gonna get the nickle or safety. Mismatch.

Not necessarily.  For example, the 75 yard TD in the Snow Bowl was nothing more than a skinny post that he stopped and reversed after catching the ball.  That's one example.

The fact is, Peerless is tougher to cover in the slot because most times he's gonna get the nickle or safety.  Mismatch.

222296[/snapback]

True, but when he had to do short to middle post in traffic he tended to short arm stuff. Hence from what I remember he did out and go patterns.

and just think how many people DIDN'T want to see peerless tagged? apparantly it was too "risky"........haha

same people who think it's a bad idea to tag jennings this year.......

221933[/snapback]

Actually I was glad to see Peerless tagged, cause I knew someone would bite on him that year. He had close to 90 catches and supposedly was coming into his own. Most of us knew he was the product of the system and Moulds being double teamed

As for Jennings. there is no reason to tag him because there will be 2 maybe 3 other more coveted LT's on the market. JJ will get offers but nothing we can't match, and if we tag him we'll end up paying more then we have to, and lose our tag for as long as he is under contract as a Bill

If Peerless will take true 3rd WR money (1M per year, or so), I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea. He'd be a Az Hakim style 3rd wideout, moving Moulds into the slot in 3-wide packages. But then we see less of Fast Freddie and Aiken, or a 2nd-day pickup. So it's not worth THAT much