It should have been a touchback...

Dragonborn10

On the pylon play, touching the pylon with the ball is not the only way to score people. The ball broke the plane before it hit the pylon. If you look at the replays, you will see that the side of the ball, the fattest part of it, initially made contact with the inside of the pylon while the nose of the ball had already broken the plane. The play was over at that instant which was before he hit the pylon and and lost the ball. Sammie still had both hands on the ball at the point in time when he broke the plane.

Yep. Pretty much settles the argument.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Miami's only TD came after an uncalled false start penalty on 4th down and two consecutive defensive backfield penalties resulting in 1st downs, I'm not feeling too bad about a possible gift TD.

Exactly...

On the pylon play, touching the pylon with the ball is not the only way to score people. The ball broke the plane before it hit the pylon. If you look at the replays, you will see that the side of the ball, the fattest part of it, initially made contact with the inside of the pylon while the nose of the ball had already broken the plane. The play was over at that instant which was before he hit the pylon and and lost the ball. Sammie still had both hands on the ball at the point in time when he broke the plane.

Bingo...He regained control of the ball...That was clear...As soon as any part of the ball crossed the front of the endzone while he had control it's 6...I think everyone got too carried away with the pylon and the ball dropping...He had control and it crossed the enzone line...however briefly and barely...As soon as that happens it's a TD...Don't get me wrong...It was SO close...But it was the right call... B-)

If you go to NFL.com, they have a Sammy highlight video from yesterday where they go through the replay several times nice and slow.

They freeze frame it right at the spot where he regains control, and the pylon itself is what causes him to lose the ball the 2nd time...so...touchdown. Also explains why there's no review. It's in the rule book that if the ball contacts the pylon , it's a TD, even if the ball is jarred loose by the pylon.

Case closed IMO.

Yes. In my opinion it is not even close. It is a touchdown every time. The ball is in his control when it hits the pylon. The pylon can't cause a fumble because it is part of the end zone. That is a touchdown without question.

no ive watched the play several times as well, he broke the plain on the way to the pilon..at an angle he didnt go straight to it as soon as the plain is broken its over ----ALL THIS BEFORE HITTING THE PILON and that's debateable on wether he lost it before hitting it or not. He didnt have to hit the pilon the ball already broke the plane