Marv taking heat for wide right

duey

That was some of the worst clock management ever. I put that on Jim Kelly though. ESPN has broken down that last drive before and we wasted over 1 minute by not spiking the ball, not getting out of bounds, misuse of timeouts. What I do fault Marv for- Thurman Thomas 15 carries 135 yards. That was vintage Thurman. The Giants ran a 2-5 defense. Why the hell did Thurman not get the ball more?

I remember watching a game against the Raiders that year where Norwood missed something like 3 FG's during the game.  One of my roommates said "he's lost it after that SB" and I said give him a chance.  He kicked the game-winner in OT, but the handwriting was on the wall.  What a shame for Norwood, Buffalo, and it's fans.

221441[/snapback]

I remember Thurman saying after the game that if Norwood would have missed that last kick, they would have thrown him off the plane. :w00t::D

theres a lot to blame for that loss, none of it norwood...blame andre "i'm afraid of getting hit" reed for dropping a few passes, balme the D that couldnt stop the 3rd and a mile on that 9 min drive, blame the D for letting the jints score with 10 seconds left in the 1st half, blame the offense for not punching it in from the 8 after lofton's 61 yd catch...

I remember Thurman saying after the game that if Norwood would have missed that last kick, they would have thrown him off the plane.  :w00t:  :D

221538[/snapback]

He actually said that they would have dropped him somewhere over Minnesota on the way back. The author of the article I read said, "Be careful, Thurman. The Super Bowl is in Minnesota this year."

He actually said that they would have dropped him somewhere over Minnesota on the way back.  The author of the article I read said, "Be careful, Thurman.  The Super Bowl is in Minnesota this year."

221556[/snapback]

Ah, thanks for the correction. That's it alright. :w00t:

We were chatting about this yeasterday. IMO, the key play in that game came on our drive right after Bruce sacked Hoss for a safety. We got great field position and faced a third and 3 at the Giant 35. Kelly hit Reed in stride for the first but Reed dropped it. (He was getting hammered all game long) We had to punt and lost the mo. Reed catches this pass, we're in FG range and have the gints reeling. I'll never forget this... :w00t:

221458[/snapback]

You are absolutely right. I've thought about that play several times over the years, along with the third-and-forever for the Giants when Hofstetler hit Steven Baker.

You forget Jim Kelly was calling the plays, not Levy. Jim wanted to be Super Bowl MVP. He was also not willing to hand the ball off to Thurman when Bill Parcells was openly challenging him to win it with his arm. If you want to blame anyone, blame Jim Kelly. Marv deserves blame for not grabbing Jim Kelly by the facemask and telling him to stop acting like a selfish a**hole.

Parcells knew that the Bills would not alter it's high-and-mighty no-huddle offense out of pride and a belief that they were unstoppable. We played right into his fat, sweaty hands.

PTR

You forget Jim Kelly was calling the plays, not Levy.  Jim wanted to be Super Bowl MVP.  He was also not willing to hand the ball off to Thurman when Bill Parcells was openly challenging him to win it with his arm.  If you want to blame anyone, blame Jim Kelly.  Marv deserves blame for not grabbing Jim Kelly by the facemask and telling him to stop acting like a selfish a**hole.

Parcells knew that the Bills would not alter it's high-and-mighty no-huddle offense out of pride and a belief that they were unstoppable.  We played right into his fat, sweaty hands.

More likely it was Belichick's geeky hands.

You forget Jim Kelly was calling the plays, not Levy.  Jim wanted to be Super Bowl MVP.  He was also not willing to hand the ball off to Thurman when Bill Parcells was openly challenging him to win it with his arm.  If you want to blame anyone, blame Jim Kelly.  Marv deserves blame for not grabbing Jim Kelly by the facemask and telling him to stop acting like a selfish a**hole.

221678[/snapback]

Now you are saying JK lost us that Superbowl. OH BROTHER. Go crawl back into the hole you came from.

That makes NO FREAKIN' SENSE.

We lost SB 25 because our defense got walked all over in the second half. Had nothing to do with our offense. It was "bend but don't break" Corey.

Yes it does. Read PromoTheRobot post.

On a side note. I was talking with Leon Seals at the BTI. The guy could not believe

Jeff Hostetler (sp) got up after that monster pound to the ground hit.

He said he hit Jeff with everything thing he had.

Why open up those old wounds.  Let it go.

PS I still have the tape of the game(I think), but have never watched it form start to finsih since that day.

221587[/snapback]

After the game was over, I rewound the tape, put it in its case, and that's where's it resided ever since. I have never been able to watch that game...and never will. :w00t:

Now you are saying JK lost us that Superbowl.  OH BROTHER.  Go crawl back into the hole you came from.

221690[/snapback]

I recall JK saying that he regretted not handing off more to Thurman. Promo is right. This was the no huddle days where JK pretty much called his own plays. Don't blame Marv for it. That being said, the play that sticks in my mind the most is the 3rd and 13 play where everyone in the world had a chance to tackle the Giants WR, but he still got the first down.

Add one more that was told to me by a college kicker (ok it's a kicker take it for what it is worth). Norwood made a good kick just like he had many times before. He hit it perfectly straight and long enough. Usually a kick like that will curve back into the uprights, especially from a right footed kicker. this guy said the main reason that kick missed was that Reich didn't spin the ball enough when he set it down. When Norwood struck the ball the laces were to the right of center and the ball couldn't curve left. Had the laces been dead center or left of center the ball curves left and probably goes through.

Now don't shoot the messenger I can't kick a ball straight to save my life. And it was a kicker telling me this. I just found it fascinating when I heard it.

theres a lot to blame for that loss, none of it norwood...blame andre "i'm afraid of getting hit" reed for dropping a few passes, balme the D that couldnt stop the 3rd and a mile on that 9 min drive, blame the D for letting the jints score with 10 seconds left in the 1st half, blame the offense for not punching it in from the 8 after lofton's 61 yd catch...

221545[/snapback]

Add one more that was told to me by a college kicker (ok it's a kicker take it for what it is worth).  Norwood made a good kick just like he had many times before. He hit it perfectly straight and long enough.  Usually a kick like that will curve back into the uprights, especially from a right footed kicker.  this guy said the main reason that kick missed was that Reich didn't spin the ball enough when he set it down.  When Norwood struck the ball the laces were to the right of center and the ball couldn't curve left.  Had the laces been dead center or left of center the ball curves left and probably goes through.

Now don't shoot the messenger I can't kick a ball straight to save my life.  And it was a kicker telling me this.  I just found it fascinating when I heard it.

Uh, "laces OUT, Dan?!"