Has Roger Goodell's Handling of Ray Rice Incident Devalued the NFL

BonJovi

If so, Mr. Pegula and his wife may want to reconsider their ridiculously generous offer.

I am completely serious ... This NEW information about the NFL having the Video in Question was not available before the Pegula's made their bid on the Bills.

Seeing that it is highly doubtful that the deal has been consummated, and considering this new information, and frankly considering the Pegula's "more than generous" offer, I believe the possibility exists that the sale price will ultimately go for less than the almost 1.4 billion bid that was made.

And really, does the Wilson estate actually believe that the Pegula's should pay nearly 400 million dollars more than the next highest bidder?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rice-goodell-plaschke-20140911-column.html

http://blogs.reuters...wn-executioner/

Edited by BonJovi

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea you have a point. Get ready for everyone who disagrees to come attack you though

I love the Pegula's AND their generosity!

I do believe that the sale price is ridiculously high however, especially considering this pervasive negative cloud that is currently over the NFL.

It's not a joke at all. My name is ridiculous though. I regret signing up under this name!

Then the answer is no. It hasn't devalued the NFL. Not even a little in my opinion.

People are desensitized to this stuff more than some on here will admit. Just look at music videos and the crap you see in there. This stuff is everywhere. If people want to make stopping domestic violence a major national issue, then start somewhere like fixing videos like this one:

I obviously disagree, but of course, you are welcome to your opinion, as is everybody else.

All I know is Roger Goodell has butchered this God awful situation, and now it appears, is compounding things by covering up with lie after lie.

And for what it's worth, I and MANY, MANY, MANY others are not desensitized to the gross display of violence that we saw on this video. I am shocked and disgusted by what I saw; and probably a little naive as well.

But what Roger Goodell did, or didn't do in this case, is equally if not more disgusting!

If being desensitized to this horrific act of violence is the best you can come up with, then maybe we have more problems than any of us realize.

Edited by BonJovi

That's cool.

I honestly can't relate to how mad and worked up a lot of people have gotten about this whole thing. Ray Rice is a deuche. He is now basically out of the NFL because he got caught being a thug on video. I thought Goodell did his job. I think Goodell probably thought the accusations weren't as bad as they sounded. Players get accused of things all the time. So he had a light penalty at first. Then he sees the video and realizes that it is worse than he every thought. So Ray Rice gets suspended. And now people want to hang Goodell for not suspending him originally. And they are accusing him of lying about the video. I may be wrong but I believed him when he said he didn't see the video earlier.

So I see the whole thing as Roger Goodell being made a scapegoat for the thug like behavior of Ray Rice. And that is a shame in my opinion. I just think the general public should butt out of it. Leave all this to Ray Rice, his wife, their families and the police. It's not about football. The whole thing has been blown way out of porportion just like the OJ trial was. That is my opinion.

No, not materially. "The NFL" doesn't have nearly as much value as 32 separate franchises. And of those franchises, only the Ravens are materially impacted by this...and they're taking quick steps to protect the team's brand (like offering free jersey exchanges to anyone with a Ray Rice jersey). The other 31 teams...it's "somebody else's problem," not theirs. How does a Ray Rice directly affect the value of the Niners or Chiefs?

In as much as the league has value, it's primarily via the support of the sponsors...and NFL sponsorship is insanely valuable. Anheuser-Busch, Verizon, Pepsi, Papa Johns, etc. aren't dropping their sponsorship over a kuncklehead like Goodell. They'd sooner press the league to get rid of him than they would drop their sponsorship.

But if that's all too complex or opaque, here's a simply way of looking at it: there's no way a garden-variety dumbass who knocks his girlfriend out cold is going to cause a material devaluation of the country's richest sports league. That's completely senseless.

That's cool.

I honestly can't relate to how mad and worked up a lot of people have gotten about this whole thing. Ray Rice is a deuche. He is now basically out of the NFL because he got caught being a thug on video. I thought Goodell did his job. I think Goodell probably thought the accusations weren't as bad as they sounded. Players get accused of things all the time. So he had a light penalty at first. Then he sees the video and realizes that it is worse than he every thought. So Ray Rice gets suspended. And now people want to hang Goodell for not suspending him originally. And they are accusing him of lying about the video. I may be wrong but I believed him when he said he didn't see the video earlier.

So I see the whole thing as Roger Goodell being made a scapegoat for the thug like behavior of Ray Rice. And that is a shame in my opinion. I just think the general public should butt out of it. Leave all this to Ray Rice, his wife, their families and the police. It's not about football. The whole thing has been blown way out of porportion just like the OJ trial was. That is my opinion.

That's interesting ...

Two main things I don't agree with at all though.

First, that he didn't see the video beforehand. And

Second, that the "General Public" should butt out. It's impossible for many of us, "with consciences" to butt out now because we SAW the video. And we saw a guy, who by all accounts was thought of as a pretty nice guy before we saw it, commit a disgusting act of violence on a woman.

So excuse the public for not butting out ... maybe ultimately by doing more butting in ... this huge negative might some day turn into a positive. I have a beautiful 17 year old daughter; and I'll be God Damned if I ever "butt out" when it comes to a topic like this, knowing that she will not be immune from this as she continues on to her adult life.

Edited by BonJovi

This has definitely not devalued the NFL. Not at all. Not a single cent. Stuff like this has been happening in sports for a long time. Do you remember how bad people freaked out over the Incognite stuff, or the Riley Cooper incident? It was a mess with people calling for Philbin to be fired along with others. Well eventually things settle and people move on. People on this board talked about bringing in Incognito.

People do bad things, always have and always will. Ray did a terrible thing and he was punished for it. The punishment was light which caused an uproar but then the video came out and he was further punished to something more fitting. Rogers big screw up was making the initial punishment 2 games. If it was 8 games to begin with I don't think any of this would have been as big a deal as it is because the punishment would have been more fitting. But it wasn't and so things spiraled to where they are.

The whole thing about lieing about seeing the video looks really bad and makes you question the judgement of the first suspension but it is in no way worse than that Ray did, as you mentioned. It's ridiculous to even suggest so. I don't think Roger should be fired over this but he should be reprimanded and he will be. He NFL should have done more initially and that ultimately was the big mistake, and one that, to me, isn't a fireable offense.

Ray will probably be on a team next year, assuming he makes the right strides toward making amends with this situation and there will be another thing for people to freak out over next year

But if that's all too complex or opaque, here's a simply way of looking at it: there's no way a garden-variety dumbass who knocks his girlfriend out cold is going to cause a material devaluation of the country's richest sports league. That's completely senseless.

Unless of course, the leader of this "richest sports league" was found to have brushed this garden variety dumbass' horrific act of violence under the table, so as not to devalue one of it's stars and consequently the league, by actually doing the right thing!

Roger Goodell, although not the scapegoat, has made this situation, and mine and I'm sure many other people's view of the NFL, exponentially worse IMO!

Edited by BonJovi

That's interesting ...

Two main things I don't agree with at all though.

First, that he didn't see the video beforehand. And

Second, that the "General Public" should butt out. It's impossible for many of us, "with consciences" to butt out now because we SAW the video. And we saw a guy, who by all accounts was thought of as a pretty nice guy before we saw it, commit a disgusting act of violence on a woman.

So excuse the public for not butting out ... maybe ultimately by doing more butting in ... this huge negative might some day turn into a positive. I have a beautiful 17 year old daughter; and I'll be God Damned if I ever "butt out" when it comes to a topic like this, knowing that she will not be immune from this as she continues on to her adult life.

What is it exactly that you're mad about?

And pic?

Edited by Rob's House

I think the concussion issue was/is more significant. The NFL seems to be getting past that. I think Goodell will survive this issue, though it will have permanent ramifications for penalties and tolerance of things beyond the usual PED type suspension.

Baseball survived the steroid scandal and came out fine and the NFL will make it through this with no real damage. The institution of the NFL is too big for one player to damage.

Just to be clear, am I disgusting because I asked what you were upset about or because of the pic?

Honestly? Are you !@#$ing serious?

Did you see Ray Rice knockout his wife?

And really? A picture of my daughter?

You're a sick dude.

The institution of the NFL is too big for one player to damage.

Based on Roger Goodell's response to the situation, I'm not so sure he even agrees with you.

But honestly, I'm not even sure you completely understand what I'm saying, and I need to get to bed.

Short term its a huge PR hit and it might cost Goodell his career. But long term, people still love football and no one is going to boycott it as long as Goodell and Rice fall on the sword. The NFL will blame Goodell and maybe one or two other mid management types and chalk it up as a failed incident. They will then hire a new comish and everyone will forget how much they hate Goodell and just go back to enjoying football. Revenues won't even go down this year.

Short term its a huge PR hit and it might cost Goodell his career. But long term, people still love football and no one is going to boycott it as long as Goodell and Rice fall on the sword. The NFL will blame Goodell and maybe one or two other mid management types and chalk it up as a failed incident. They will then hire a new comish and everyone will forget how much they hate Goodell and just go back to enjoying football. Revenues won't even go down this year.

Well,

As long as everybody's making then ...

Incredible

Honestly? Are you !@#$ing serious?

Did you see Ray Rice knockout his wife?

Yeah, I saw it. What's your point. If you said you're mad at Ray for doing it that would make sense, but that's not what you said, so it's obviously something else that's troubling you. I was just trying to figure out what it was so I could understand you better.

And really? A picture of my daughter?

You're a sick dude.

You brought her up.