Had a recruiter call me yesterday

Captain Hindsight

I think it's exactly right that many kids are spoiled and have no idea how to hustle to either find a job or improve their situation.

You know KD, i don't think their spoiled as much as brainwashed. And i feel sorry for them. I see the pressure put on kids today to get into the "right" school. Cause if you get into that school, you have the golden ticket. And when that ticket is not punched at the end of the 4 years, it is ever so disheartening, and i feel bad for them.

Reminds me of Friday Night Lights...how for those kids the highlight of their lives was High School Football. For kids today, it is what college you get into.Career and happiness post college not a real concern, and they are taught that all falls into place once you get in the right school.

But it doesn't for most, and i feel for them.

And the parents fuel this, and they totally think the referendum on how they did as parents is what college their kids attend..

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know KD, i don't think their spoiled as much as brainwashed. And i feel sorry for them. I see the pressure put on kids today to get into the "right" school. Cause if you get into that school, you have the golden ticket. And when that ticket is not punched at the end of the 4 years, it is ever so disheartening, and i feel bad for them.

Reminds me of Friday Night Lights...how for those kids the highlight of their lives was High School Football. For kids today, it is what college you get into.Career and happiness post college not a real concern, and they are taught that all falls into place once you get in the right school.

But it doesn't for most, and i feel for them.

And the parents fuel this, and they totally think the referendum on how they did as parents is what college their kids attend..

That's probably true and something I'll appreciate more in 10 years when my kids reach high school and I see it first hand. There is certainly benefit in attending a good college, but it's not a substitute for having the ability to work hard, deal with setbacks and have the drive and balls to take chances.

There's a larger commentary to be made about our current society's attitude that everything is always supposed to work out for the best and if it doesn't it must be because someone wronged me.

i don't think i am getting played, my initial thought was that it was from an offshore call center, that was why i called the number and looked him up on linkedin, and by all indications he seems to be local to the philly area, granted his linked in profile is very vague. I get that recruiting can be a cattle call type of thing, i was just really turned off by his approach and would think the company would be horrified to know how it is being represented...or maybe they really just don't care.

I agree with ya, I haven't had a ton of experience with recruiters but the 3 or 4 agencies I've interacted with were highly professional. From what you've described that company won't be around long if they don't care.

why? isn't that kind of the same attitude that you and plenzmd are discussing?

That's probably true and something I'll appreciate more in 10 years when my kids reach high school and I see it first hand. There is certainly benefit in attending a good college, but it's not a substitute for having the ability to work hard, deal with setbacks and have the drive and balls to take chances.

There's a larger commentary to be made about our current society's attitude that everything is always supposed to work out for the best and if it doesn't it must be because someone wronged me.

Attending college helps when you move out of town, and where you are from can help, to a point as well.

I got several opportunities from knowing people who knew common friends 900 miles away and got hired at my first business job in Atlanta long, long ago, because they guy hiring was from Buffalo.

why? isn't that kind of the same attitude that you and plenzmd are discussing?

Why? Other factors being equal, most employers are going to pick the guy from Cornell over the guy from UB. Also, better schools tend to have better career networks.

I think plenz's initial point was people invest too much in trying to achieve a 'name school' just for the sake of attending that school, without understanding that career achievement isn't defined or guaranteed just by the school. Attending a good school helps your career, but it ultimately means little without the right attitude, ability and effort, which is were a lot of people fall short (regardless of school).

i knew the answer, my point was that much like the parents pushing their kids to the 'best schools' and getting their golden parachute right out of college, the same illusion is there because of the name of the school...i don't care if it's University of Chicago or SUNY Fredonia, they both teach you that when the demand for pickles equals the supply for pickles, we meet market equilibrium, ceteris paribus(see they taught us those fancy words at Fredonia)....naturally i am way oversimplifying it, but hopefully you see the point i am trying to make as a devils advocate

Why? Other factors being equal, most employers are going to pick the guy from Cornell over the guy from UB. Also, better schools tend to have better career networks.

I think plenz's initial point was people invest too much in trying to achieve a 'name school' just for the sake of attending that school, without understanding that career achievement isn't defined or guaranteed just by the school. Attending a good school helps your career, but it ultimately means little without the right attitude, ability and effort, which is were a lot of people fall short (regardless of school).

i've been putting my toe in the job market water lately (right now it's back out of the water) and have this advice: try to avoid outside recruiters if possible. in my field they charge around 30k to place some one. that's 30 less k you are likely to get as a signing bonus or salary over your first few years

i've been putting my toe in the job market water lately (right now it's back out of the water) and have this advice: try to avoid outside recruiters if possible. in my field they charge around 30k to place some one. that's 30 less k you are likely to get as a signing bonus or salary over your first few years

This is partially true......if you are in IT, most companies do not feel they can competently weed out potential IT candidates, and they rely on recruiters to make sure people are not full of crap, and they are not wasting the time of the company by interviewing inferior candidates or those without the actual knowledge.

i knew the answer, my point was that much like the parents pushing their kids to the 'best schools' and getting their golden parachute right out of college, the same illusion is there because of the name of the school...i don't care if it's University of Chicago or SUNY Fredonia, they both teach you that when the demand for pickles equals the supply for pickles, we meet market equilibrium, ceteris paribus(see they taught us those fancy words at Fredonia)....naturally i am way oversimplifying it, but hopefully you see the point i am trying to make as a devils advocate

I guess my point was to Captains original point that a bachelors degree means free labor. Kids think that a name school means more money out of college. It doesn't except for a select few. Good friend of mine had a kid graduate Northwestern in June, to the the tune of $65K a year tuition and living. Knucklehead parents paying for almost all of it...cause Mom got validation that her kid went to Northwestern.

She has had several offers in Chicago she has deemed beneath her at $45K-$50K. She is selling cupcakes.Some kid from U of Illinois prolly filling those jobs.And happy to get it.And that is a common, common story. Feel sorry for her..she has been brainwashed to believe she was on easy train once she graduated from college...she was lied to.

And to your point on market equilibrium...it is equal.

my son is 23 and has been working pretty much full time at circuit city and target after that since being in high school. he never really showed any focus on a college career so i didn't push the issue. He's now been with target for 6 years, has gotten steady pay increases, nothing that will allow him to live lavishly, he gets benefits, his bosses and co-workers all recognize him for his hard work. He is finally registering for classes at the local cc simply to get some book knowledge, but I have ZERO problem with him making a career in retail and retail support and taking his time getting an education, as long as he can make ends meet. I see friends of his with 50-60K in student loan debt working at red robin. work hard, keep learning and in the end things will fall into place. not saying the way he/we are doing it is right, but it's right for him/us at this point in time.

I agree. Facebook has three seasons. Fall look how cute my kids are going back to school,winter look at my speedometer at how cold it is, spring look at my adorable kids 3rd grade graduation ceremony, and look at the schools we visited with our kids.

fixed it for you

Edited by The Poojer

assuming a bs or higher is the goal, the savvy solution is 2 years at community college and 2 more years and a bachelors at the best school the kid can get into (which may well be a great state school- uva or unc chapel hill anyone?). grounded, relatively inexpensive and effective.