Will or can Hackett make game changing plans.

I am. It throws defenses off guard. That's how you get Woods all alone in the end zone against the Pats and Stevie all alone against the Panthers.

It was running fairly smoothly until EJ got injured last year. I can't wait to see the progress they've made and the new WRs.

Time again to see if he has it to make adjustments during a game. Time to put on your big boy pants.

He actually did a pretty good job with half time adjustments last year. That was apparent from the first game vs. NE*.

GO BILLS!!!

I am again on an island in that I don't have an issue with the play calling. Unless you studied the opponent, match ups and analytics in devising the game plan the average fan does not know which play should be called in each situation. I may question some plays that don't work but to complain they were the wrong calls is crazy IMO since I wasn't involved in the game plan.

I am again on an island in that I don't have an issue with the play calling. Unless you studied the opponent, match ups and analytics in devising the game plan the average fan does not know which play should be called in each situation. I may question some plays that don't work but to complain they were the wrong calls is crazy IMO since I wasn't involved in the game plan.

Have you read the thread? You're not on an island, sweetheart. More like a peninsula.

All you need to know is, did they work? Last year, the end zone calls didn't work.

It wasn't just the end zone calls that did not work.

I try not to rush to judgment on people, so I am more than willing to be open minded about Hackett this year, but I do have concerns.

I have let panic creep in a bit, but I am still in wait and see mode. Someone in another thread made a great point about the preseason being so thoroughly over analyzed due in part to all of the information being thrown around on twitter/blogs/etc. We have never seen such a dissection of preseason and training camp football before. I think my primary concern in EJ's overall accuracy, more so than Hackett's calls.

As far as preseason is concerned remember this:

1. Marrone is said to be uber paranoid and the playbook during the preseason was extremely limited (even the biggest "realists" have to admit this). Should they be able to score with 10 plays? Yes, probably, but I still dont think it is a fair comparison to regular season game planning.

2. From what I witnessed after the booing at halftime against Tampa, the playbook opened up. I dont know if this was from Marrone finally cracking a little because of the fans, or to just give his guys (mainly EJ) a little confidence but they ran 2 plays in the 3rd quarter that made me feel much better.

-- 1st and 10, midfield, 8:35 in the 3rd Q. EJ fakes a hand off to the right to Spiller, then pitches left to Chandler. This was a great play call and a solid 7 yard gain at midfield.

-- 2nd and 1, Tampa 9yd line, 2:45 in the 3rd Q. EJ pitches right to Fred and a convoy is out front blocking for him. Mike W., Henderson and Chandler (Chandlers block is great) plow the road and Fred trots in for the touchdown. I had to watch it twice because I couldn't believe they were not just slamming it up the middle. This is the type of running play our o-line is built for.

No where in any other preseason game are either of these plays used. I am not saying that we have a stash of secret plays that no one can defend, but I do think we have a lot more to keep defenses off balance than we showed. That is really what offense is about, keeping a defense guessing. I think that, especially with regards to the run game, we have a lot more planned than we have seen. At least this is what I'm going to tell myself for the next 5 days.

Edited by Juice_32

No where in any other preseason game are either of these plays used. I am not saying that we have a stash of secret plays that no one can defend, but I do think we have a lot more to keep defenses off balance than we showed. That is really what offense is about, keeping a defense guessing. I think that, especially with regards to the run game, we have a lot more planned than we have seen. At least this is what I'm going to tell myself for the next 5 days.

And it's exactly what the coaches and players have told us. Weird.

I have let panic creep in a bit, but I am still in wait and see mode. Someone in another thread made a great point about the preseason being so thoroughly over analyzed due in part to all of the information being thrown around on twitter/blogs/etc. We have never seen such a dissection of preseason and training camp football before. I think my primary concern in EJ's overall accuracy, more so than Hackett's calls.

As far as preseason is concerned remember this:

1. Marrone is said to be uber paranoid and the playbook during the preseason was extremely limited (even the biggest "realists have to admit this). Should they be able to score with 10 plays? Yes, probably, but I still dont think it is a fair comparison to regular season game planning.

2. From what I witnessed after the booing at halftime against Tampa, the playbook opened up. I dont know if this was from Marrone finally cracking a little because of the fans, or to just give his guys (mainly EJ) a little confidence but they ran 2 plays in the 3rd quarter that made me feel much better.

-- 1st and 10, midfield, 8:35 in the 3rd Q. EJ fakes a hand off to the right to Spiller, then pitches left to Chandler. This was a great play call and a solid 7 yard gain at midfield.

-- 2nd and 1, Tampa 9yd line, 2:45 in the 3rd Q. EJ pitches right to Fred and a convoy is out front blocking for him. Mike W., Henderson and Chandler (Chandlers block is great) plow the road and Fred trots in for the touchdown. I had to watch it twice because I couldn't believe they were not just slamming it up the middle. This is the type of running play our o-line is built for.

Good stuff.

The thing that concerned me most about preseason was the poor execution, regardless of the plays called and the amount of playbook used. It doesn't matter when the first thing you need to see as coaches, fans, media etc., is the ability of our guys to beat the other guys straight up. Didn't see enough of that. Now there may be several reasons, but I believe the biggest factor was fatigue. We looked like a tired team and it got worse as the preseason progressed. Sometimes I get the impression Marrone doesn't know when to take his foot off the gas pedal. If it were me, I'd have eased up a bit more. With the new CBA and the modified practice schedules, coaches are looking to maximize time on field in pads. I don't think that's always the best idea, especially when you already have the longest camp in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Good stuff.

The thing that concerned me most about preseason was the poor execution, regardless of the plays called and the amount of playbook used. It doesn't matter when the first thing you need to see as coaches, fans, media etc., is the ability of our guys to beat the other guys straight up. Didn't see enough of that. Now there may be several reasons, but I believe the biggest factor was fatigue. We looked like a tired team and it got worse as the preseason progressed. Sometimes I get the impression Marrone doesn't know when to take his foot off the gas pedal. If it were me, I'd have eased up a bit more. With the new CBA and the modified practice schedules, coaches are looking to maximize time on field in pads. I don't think that's always the best idea, especially when you already have the longest camp in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

I might guess that is exactly what Marrone wants to teach them. Execution , no matter how banged up or tired you are , you have to finish the play . The game and the season . It seems Coach is teaching how to finish and never say die.

Its a big culture change from Gailey and Wannstadt and its been rather ugly . But maybe thats the kind of work that needs to be put in to win ?

I have noticed the lack of injuries this preseason . Does Hackett have big play book. By accounts it will take years to teach it.

Can he call the right sets of plays at the right time against a particular opponent. Remains to be seen.

Year number Two coming up .

Go Nathaniel Hackett !