New York Farm Owners Fined For Refusing To Host Gay Marriage

3rdnlng

Watcha think?

http://m.nationalreview.com/corner/385974/ny-farm-owners-must-pay-13k-fine-declining-lesbian-wedding-andrew-johnson

A New York State Division of Human Rights fined Cynthia and Robert Giffords $13,000 earlier this month for refusing to let a lesbian couple use their farm for their same-sex wedding.

In 2012, fiancées​ Melisa Erwin and Jennie McCarthy expressed interest about using the Giffords’s Liberty Ridge Farm in Schaghticoke, N.Y., for their upcoming ceremony, which hosts various events. According to McCarthy’s own account, it appears the Giffords politely declined the request and apologized for the inconvenience.

“When we asked why it was just, ‘That’s what my husband and I decided. We’ve been married a long time and it’s great you’re getting married and all, but you can’t do it here,’” McCarthy toldWNYT at the time. The Daily Signal notes that the Giffords, who are heavily involved in the planning, live on the second and third floor of the barn used for events, and use the second floor as a bridal suite on wedding days.

Generally speaking it is not against the law to discriminate against someone wanting to rent where your own domicile is. Why should this be any different? The best part of this joke is 10k of the 13k fine goes to NYS.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're presumably running a business out of their residence. Isn't this the equivalent of a hotel or bed & breakfast refusing service to a black couple? Wouldn't that incur some kind of penalty? I ask because I don't know.

A person owning and living in a duplex can discriminate all they want and the hell with fair housing laws. A 70 year old couple can say that they don't want to rent to the equivalent of a frat house. In fact Gene, I am legally able to tell you I'm not going to rent you the room above my garage only because you are so Godless.

A person owning and living in a duplex can discriminate all they want and the hell with fair housing laws. A 70 year old couple can say that they don't want to rent to the equivalent of a frat house. In fact Gene, I am legally able to tell you I'm not going to rent you the room above my garage only because you are so Godless.

Fair enough, but it doesn't sound like the gays in question were looking to sign a lease. If you owned a hotel, I'm pretty sure you couldn't legally refuse me service based in my godlessness.

Please school me on the finer points of the law here.

"...The Daily Signal notes that the Giffords, who are heavily involved in the planning, live on the second and third floor of the barn used for events, and use the second floor as a bridal suite on wedding days..."

Would you want Melissa and Jennie Dyking off in your domicile on that "special night?"

We need pics... I didn't open the link... LoL Should I?

Anyway... Don't a huge number of lesbian marriages fail and end in divorce? I say HUGE because the divorce rate is staggeringly 2-3 times higher than straight couples and gay men. You take 2 woman and expect them to live together in harmony... You get better results mixing ammonia and bleach. ;-P

Thankfully, this will never happen in NC>

What, they don't have barns on Tobacco Road? ;-P ;-P

"...The Daily Signal notes that the Giffords, who are heavily involved in the planning, live on the second and third floor of the barn used for events, and use the second floor as a bridal suite on wedding days..."

Would you want Melissa and Jennie Dyking off in your domicile on that "special night?"

We need pics... I didn't open the link... LoL Should I?

Anyway... Don't a huge number of lesbian marriages fail and end in divorce? I say HUGE because the divorce rate is staggeringly 2-3 times higher than straight couples and gay men. You take 2 woman and expect them to live together in harmony... You get better results mixing ammonia and bleach. ;-P

What, they don't have barns on Tobacco Road? ;-P ;-P

It has nothing to do with dickless marriages or marriages where there is an extra dick. I shouldn't have to rent to you on a property that I live on regardless of your dickiness or lack thereof.

It has nothing to do with dickless marriages or marriages where there is an extra dick. I shouldn't have to rent to you on a property that I live on regardless of your dickiness or lack thereof.

They're not renting. They are a business. They are not legally allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc... Feel free to continue on with your righteous indignation, but the law is the law.

As an aside, it seems to me like it's getting harder and harder for bigoted and xenophobic religious folks like yourself to discriminate against those who are different from you. Between this and the wedding cake people, perhaps y'all should consider staying out of the wedding business.

They're not renting. They are a business. They are not legally allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc... Feel free to continue on with your righteous indignation, but the law is the law.

they're not renting but they're a business?

an important detail that I'm not seeing in that article is anywhere where the Giffords said that the reason they don't want to rent the room is because this couple is gay. they haven't made any claims that I can see that this is about religion, either. what I have seen however are many businesses that I've gone into that had a sign on the door stating that they reserve the right to refuse business as they see fit, which at least until recently hasn't ever been made into a social or political concern.

an important detail that I'm not seeing in that article is anywhere where the Giffords said that the reason they don't want to rent the room is because this couple is gay. they haven't made any claims that I can see that this is about religion, either. what I have seen however are many businesses that I've gone into that had a sign on the door stating that they reserve the right to refuse business as they see fit, which at least until recently hasn't ever been made into a social or political concern.

Somehow, all those Irish eventually became equals in spite of "needing not to apply."

They advertise to and are open to the public. During the course of events, they apparently claimed to have had gay employees in the past and have held events for gay people at their residence. They claim to have refused in this case simply because they did not want the ceremony performed there. It's discrimination based on sexual orientation, plain and simple.

They advertise to and are open to the public. During the course of events, they apparently claimed to have had gay employees in the past and have held events for gay people at their residence. They claim to have refused in this case simply because they did not want the ceremony performed there. It's discrimination based on sexual orientation, plain and simple.

from the Washington Times linked article:

“Liberty Ridge Farm … has employed gay people and has conducted events for same-sex couples,” Mr. Trainor said. “The Giffords’ objection was to hosting and participating in the wedding ceremony itself and not to providing serviceicon1.png in general to lesbians.”

it sounds to me like the Giffords are affording this couple the same access & opportunity they've always provided for couples, straight or gay. does the law say that they must participate in the ceremony as well?

also from the article: “The fact that the Giffords also reside at Gifford Barn,” the decision says, “does not render it private.”

so their residence is a public place? if you have a really nice back yard and someone, say your niece, held her wedding there in the past, does that mean that if someone else wants to do the same that you are legally obligated to consent or pay fines and compensatory damages if you refuse?

Fair housing laws do not apply on a property that you own and live on. You are not only Godless but senseless.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Damn Irish. The only thing worse than allowing them to be people is when broads got the right to vote.

Is it any surprise that 10 years after they got to vote, we entered the Depression?

Bring me back to the glory days, please. When we were crushing the Spanish Empire in weeks, instead of winning Pyrhhic victories over 10 years. 19th century 4 lyfe.

Fair housing laws do not apply on a property that you own and live on. You are not only Godless but senseless.

If you ever let your mind wander away from the national review, real clear politics, glen beck, Fox News, etc, etc... you might actually consider a viewpoint that contradicts your narrow worldview. Of course the chances of that happening are likely about the same as Jesus Christ coming down for the rapture, ascending to the clouds with all of you lunatics and throwing all of us crazy non-fairy-tale-believing heathens into hellfire for all of eternity. You know, cause that's just how your compassionate god (who loves us all) rolls. But I digress...

Reading the judge's ruling on actual news sites, it appears that private residence does not apply to these two knuckleheads because they advertise to the public, provide service to the public and are therefore not considered a private residence. You could, for example, live above your very own bar, restaurant, hotel or b&b while not legally being allowed to keep me or anyone else out of your public place of business for any discriminatory reasons whatsoever. The lesson is, I you want your business to service the public, you're not allowed to act like a bigoted a-hole no matter how you want to justify it. God bless 'Merica.

:)

If you ever let your mind wander away from the national review, real clear politics, glen beck, Fox News, etc, etc... you might actually consider a viewpoint that contradicts your narrow worldview. Of course the chances of that happening are likely about the same as Jesus Christ coming down for the rapture, ascending to the clouds with all of you lunatics and throwing all of us crazy non-fairy-tale-believing heathens into hellfire for all of eternity. You know, cause that's just how your compassionate god (who loves us all) rolls. But I digress...

Reading the judge's ruling on actual news sites, it appears that private residence does not apply to these two knuckleheads because they advertise to the public, provide service to the public and are therefore not considered a private residence. You could, for example, live above your very own bar, restaurant, hotel or b&b while not legally being allowed to keep me or anyone else out of your public place of business for any discriminatory reasons whatsoever. The lesson is, I you want your business to service the public, you're not allowed to act like a bigoted a-hole no matter how you want to justify it. God bless 'Merica.

:)

The rapture has already happened just no one noticed the 7 people who actually followed Jesus going missing.

Seriously, that this story made headlines is ridiculous. NY State, !@#$ you.

So? So what? It's my land, let me see you step on it without permission. Farm or no farm, no one would ever find you.

Why do customers get to dictate how a business should be run? NY < NC

http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20110315/NEWS/303159978

A restaurant's refusal to serve non-English speaking patrons has raised concerns from residents who say the measure is discriminatory.

For the past month, the Reedy Creek Diner off N.C. Highway 150 has posted a sign on its front door stating, “No Speak English, No Service.” The phrase is also written in Spanish, and the diner advertises its service refusal in French, Russian, Irish and German languages. The sign further states that the staff “only speaks and understands American.”