New York Farm Owners Fined For Refusing To Host Gay Marriage

3rdnlng

Do you focus 100% of your attention on the negative aspects and ignore all the good things with everything or do you reserve that terrible narrow view for religion only?

My mom still goes to church every Sunday. How exactly is it !@#$ing her up? There have been several deaths in our family the past few years. Some to be expected others not. Religion helped all of these people close to the loved one get through it. How is that !@#$ed up? When I was back east recently the local church sponsored a blood drive, clothing drive for the needy, a bake sale and ice cream social. How is that !@#$ed up? Don't get me wrong religion has caused some problems in the world. Hell look at the Middle East but to ignore all the good things they have done and focus only on the negative is as shortsighted as you can possible be. So lay on the couch and tell us all here at PPP. Why the animosity? What happened in your past with this "indoctrination" that has turned you so hostile towards religion? We're here to help Gene, we really are.

I had nothing but positive experiences with my Catholic upbringing. I was pleasantly sure that all that I was told was true and that to doubt any of it was a sin. It was a long, difficult and sometimes unpleasant road to go from that to the point where I could finally allow myself to conclude that it was all made up. I came to this conclusion based on research and lots if thinking about how, when and why the Bible was written and how, when and why various other religions came to be over the course of human history. I saw the history of religion controlling the masses and inflicting many evils on the world, almost always while preaching love and peace out of the side of its mouth. I finally realized, to my relief, that I'd been duped!

Mostly, I value truth through logic. Religion, in my opinion, is the antithesis of that. I find myself becoming angry when people use it to justify discrimination or violence against others.

I would never throw any of what I spew here in the face of your grandmother or any grieving person. I don't talk about religion in "real life", except occasionally with like-minded individuals, because I think it's disrespectful, ineffective and ultimately pointless. I see the demographics changing across our country and that's enough to keep me happy.

I talk about it a lot here because it helps me refine my thoughts on the subject and get it out of my system. Plus, you guys are a bunch of a-holes anyway, so why should I care about offending you? :)

Maybe he was an altar boy.

No, I've never been !@#$ed by a priest, so I guess I'm in the minority there. Whew!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had nothing but positive experiences with my Catholic upbringing. I was pleasantly sure that all that I was told was true and that to doubt any of it was a sin. It was a long, difficult and sometimes unpleasant road to go from that to the point where I could finally allow myself to conclude that it was all made up. I came to this conclusion based on research and lots if thinking about how, when and why the Bible was written and how, when and why various other religions came to be over the course of human history. I saw the history of religion controlling the masses and inflicting many evils on the world, almost always while preaching love and peace out of the side of its mouth. I finally realized, to my relief, that I'd been duped!

Mostly, I value truth through logic. Religion, in my opinion, is the antithesis of that. I find myself becoming angry when people use it to justify discrimination or violence against others.

I would never throw any of what I spew here in the face of your grandmother or any grieving person. I don't talk about religion in "real life", except occasionally with like-minded individuals, because I think it's disrespectful, ineffective and ultimately pointless. I see the demographics changing across our country and that's enough to keep me happy.

I talk about it a lot here because it helps me refine my thoughts on the subject and get it out of my system. Plus, you guys are a bunch of a-holes anyway, so why should I care about offending you? :)

No, I've never been !@#$ed by a priest, so I guess I'm in the minority there. Whew!

That just tells everyone you have a very facile knowledge of religions.

That just tells everyone you have a very facile knowledge of religions.

fac·ile

adjective \ˈfa-səl\

: too simple : not showing enough thought or effort

: done or achieved in a way that is too easy

: working, moving, or performing well and very easily

fac·ile

adjective \ˈfa-səl\

: too simple : not showing enough thought or effort

: done or achieved in a way that is too easy

: working, moving, or performing well and very easily

Which of those definitions I intend should be abundantly clear.

From your link:

The Alliance Defending Freedom stated that not only were the Giffords fined, but the court forced them to “teach classes to their employees that impose the state’s view of marriage.” The firm added, “The government should not force anyone to participate in or celebrate an event that violates their faith and beliefs. However, that’s exactly what the state of New York has done to the Giffords. The Giffords serve all people with respect and care. They have hired homosexual employees and have hosted events for same-sex couples.”