Burlington North Carolina

hvogel00

I am a life long Buffalo Bills fan and southtowns resident. I recently accepted a job at a company in Burlington, NC. I would appreciate any information about the area. I live in East Aurora and would love to find a similar village. Only one college age kid going with us, so schools do not matter. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and when the Bills and Sabres win their respective championships after I leave, you can blame me for all the down years.

Thanks!

I am a life long Buffalo Bills fan and southtowns resident. I recently accepted a job at a company in Burlington, NC. I would appreciate any information about the area. I live in East Aurora and would love to find a similar village. Only one college age kid going with us, so schools do not matter. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and when the Bills and Sabres win their respective championships after I leave, you can blame me for all the down years.

Thanks!

First off, ditch the kid. If they're out of High School - ditch'em somewhere North of the Mason Dixon Line.

However, if they make the haul they might be happy meeting some friends from Elon. Elon has one of the best Law Schools in the country. It isn't far from Durham/Raleigh. There is plenty to do there, from the Bulls (Bull Durham = Durham Bulls), Hurricanes, and the arts. There are two great schools there that offer amazing sports spectacles; both Duke and NCSU are a lot of fun for football and basketball. If you want to check out the Panthers you're about 2 hours away from Charlotte or you can take the railroad. Upon taking the railroad I may beat you down and take your money, though. Call it a toll.

It's in Alamance County, a small Southern county with a lot of little towns around. It all depends on how long you want to commute, how much money you want to drop on a house, and more. Housing is much cheaper here but schools matter a lot. Find a good system, do a ton of research; there are some awful schools in the same system as good schools. Without getting political I will just tell you that some schools get neglected and some do not.

There is a beer Co-Op there. That might tell you something. It is growing fast. It is trendy and hip but it is still a bit of old school country. There is a nice little McDonalds - it's a good one - right there off I-85. The gas is also pretty cheap there compared to other towns around, but always fill up in VA. There are a lot of great parks there, nothing like what you're used to in NY. You're 3 hours from the beach and 3 hours from the mountains - an easy day trip.

Give me a few more specifics on what you're looking for and I can help.

Thanks for the response. Actually have been lurking in the background for years. Just never posted.

I will be working near the airport in Burlington. Wife doesn't want country. I'll have to travel a bit, so she wants people around. I've been looking at Elon, Mebane, Whitsett, Haw River.... Not being a smart ass, but would love to live in Mayberry. I'm currently in East Aurora, which is wny's version of that. Main st USA type of place.

Housing looks pretty reasonable. Looks like I can go around 250k. Just need to understand where to stay away from and where to go. Can handle 25 minute or less commute. My head is spinning, so any opinions are appreciated.

The reason we're moving? Warmth! My wife needs a more favorable climate due to some health issues. I have always liked wny, but winters do not get warmer with age.

Ha! Thank God for a/c... If never invented, the south wouldn't have half as taken off. The North can sell them the water and of course the power that goes along with it...

Hope your wife feels better and gets well!

I have a friend that has been calling Creedmoor home for around the last 15+ years... A little farther away, but they like it. Boyst, what's your take on that area?

too far away

There are a lot of hot girls at Elon.

yup

Thanks for the response. Actually have been lurking in the background for years. Just never posted.

I will be working near the airport in Burlington. Wife doesn't want country. I'll have to travel a bit, so she wants people around. I've been looking at Elon, Mebane, Whitsett, Haw River.... Not being a smart ass, but would love to live in Mayberry. I'm currently in East Aurora, which is wny's version of that. Main st USA type of place.

Housing looks pretty reasonable. Looks like I can go around 250k. Just need to understand where to stay away from and where to go. Can handle 25 minute or less commute. My head is spinning, so any opinions are appreciated.

Haw river

Elon

mebane

Mebane is hicks in the sticks. Not bad just not worth it.

Has river in a development might be a great spot to land.

Soon is a college town with some ghetto.

Look in to schools before move, consider renting as well. That area is very fickle. If you can afford it, rent for a year.

Will your wife be working? Will she have a job lined up or be looking? Asheboro is further south and growing Gboro ain't far, and RDU is RDU.

it's been a long time since I was there, but I lived in Greensboro for almost 8 years. my grandparents moved there after my grandfather retired, mainly to get away from the snow but still have something resembling 4 seasons to enjoy. I hear it's grown considerably since my time, but I imagine it's still a pretty nice place. I believe Burlington is around a half-hour away. there used to be a club that had live hard rock & metal bands playing called 'Marbles' that we would make the drive to from time to time, but I never really went to Burlington other than those trips. if you take your time in choosing, I'm sure you'll find a nice place anywhere around the greater Greensboro area. good luck with your move!

Moved to Burlington from WNY about 10 years ago and love it. Gibsonville/Elon is the best area to start looking. It is like a giant suburb here, inbetween Greensboro and Raleigh. Lots of transplants down here, it is a home away from home.

Moved to Burlington from WNY about 10 years ago and love it. Gibsonville/Elon is the best area to start looking. It is like a giant suburb here, inbetween Greensboro and Raleigh. Lots of transplants down here, it is a home away from home.

are you still here?

Elon has a good college that keeps it trending up and hip. But I do not like what else is there.

are you still here?

Elon has a good college that keeps it trending up and hip. But I do not like what else is there.

yep...they have tried to rebrand the area as a shopping hot spot, which made it even more burby. If you like living in the burbs, it is a great area. If you like what bigger cities have to offer, it definitely isn't the place to be.