Wilmington, NC. a good place to live?

birdog1960

i know we have lots of transplants to NC on the board. Anybody live in or have familiarity with Wilmington? is it old south, new south or somewhere in between? any comments on housing, cost of living, traffic, culture/ restaurants/live music scene, beaches, crime, friendliness of people, overall vibe?

no worries. it's a decent sized city and likely a good distance from your farm. i would likely be cancelling out your votes, however.

Atta boy. Spread some of that same mentality that has made WNY such a booming area down South.

Atta boy. Spread some of that same mentality that has made WNY such a booming area down South.

pretty much

i know we have lots of transplants to NC on the board. Anybody live in or have familiarity with Wilmington? is it old south, new south or somewhere in between? any comments on housing, cost of living, traffic, culture/ restaurants/live music scene, beaches, crime, friendliness of people, overall vibe?

Wilmington is the old south with regards to the way things are run but its new south in what it pretends to be. Good parts and bad parts too. It has a great party school uncw and is pretty nice place and close enough to decent options for lifestyle.

Actually considered buying some real estate there the last couple of years. Its like any beach town, there is good and bad. Film has been a huge driver of the economy the last decade (now adding over $1 billion to the NC economy--Screen Gems has a huge studio operation) and our General Assembly in NC just ended most of the tax breaks for the industry so I would expect, unless this is reversed quickly, a huge driver of employment will likely go away and real estate and the local economy will suffer.

The good:

Wrightsville is a fun beach -- there is a combination coffee bar/mexican restaurant at the end of the main causeway that is a slice of life....

Downtown has a really fun vibe--good food, lots of music, a little eclectic

Housing is relatively cheap for a beach town, particularly on the west side of the Intercoastal

City administration is forward thinking

New Hanover schools aren't bad

New Hanover hospital is much better than one would expect for a town of Wilmington's size

There are some growing industries -- Information Security, PPD pharm and the Contract Research Space

The bad:

Crime rate is fairly high in areas just off downtown -- sometimes the gang stuff seeds over into downtown

Movie industry death will hit the town hard and it could go downhill

PM if you want more.

All in all we are big fans.

LOL! I was just going to post this. They destroy their own area voting the way they do, and then move to better areas and then proceed to destroy them in the same manner.

It WAS a great place to live when I was in school and in my 20's. I lived there for eight years in all and it was the greatest time of my life. Of course, that was in the late 90's and from the few contacts I have left, things have changed. For one thing, there are lots more people living in the area. The music scene appears to be more selective, and Screen Gems is losing show after show to more friendsly movie making locations.

I suppose it depends on what you like to do. Do you enjoy bars and college girls? Then you'll love it! If you like having the option of popping in to the beach for an hour or two on the fly its great. Only parking is hit and miss. There are/were some awesome restaurants in the area. Keep in mind, as you come into the city over the bridge you go through one if the less desirable areas of town, don't let that fool you, but for god sake, don't turn right or left until you get into past downtown.

All in all, I probably would only more back if I'd had to take a job, but I have very young children. If it was just me and my wife, or just me, I'd probably consider it...

I'll borrow this thread for a second. Does anyone know of any good weekend getaway spots around Wilmington for late September? I'm trying to come up with a decent anniversary/birthday weekend for my wife.

Shouldn't you be asking about wealth inequality, measures of social justice, the self-satisfaction of residents, prius density (not so low that the local environment is being harmed but not so high that you're not cool anymore), and gentrification?